Hello From the U/K

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Andy W

Hello From the U/K

Post by Andy W »

Hi there all the way from Rotherham South Yorkshire :wave: . Thinking of a 64 monza coupe i am hanging my nose over. Are there any other U/K owners on this Forum ????

Andy W
Last edited by Andy W on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mfankha1

Re: Hello From the U/K

Post by Mfankha1 »

I see user Swelly is from the UK. Might ask him too.
Matt

1960 Corvair 500 Sedan
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

And let's not forget Mart....... ::-):
Mfankha1

Post by Mfankha1 »

How do you get your car pic on your posts, flat6?
Matt

1960 Corvair 500 Sedan
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

You mean my little signature pic there?.......I had to go to shrinkpictures.com and chop it way down to be allowed to be downloaded onto this site. That's how I did it, others may have a much simpler way. I'm still basically a computer caveman. ------> http://www.shrinkpictures.com/
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

Corvairs are somewhat rare in Europe, but you are not alone in your enthusiasm for the "Waterless Wonder from Willow Run" (Michigan). Here are a few other British Corvair aficionados that are members of the Corvair Forum...

mildrover, Mark Dixon, Stratford-upon-Avon, England
:link: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4556

TexasUK, Church Crookham, Hampshire, UK
:link: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2677

Mart, Martin Reed, Norton, Cleveland , UK
:link: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=888

Roastbeef, UK, but not sure where.
:link: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3265

UKCORVAIR, Owns a rare 180 hp Corsa (turbocharged Corvair) :dontknow:
:link: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1389

rustbucket, Lives near Mart, joined the Corvair Forum in July, 2011, but hasn't been heard from since October, 2011. ??? :sad5:
:link: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1784

"Mildrover",
I'm a Brit and am new to the Corvair world, although I've been a classic car journo for nearly 25 years and I'm currently deputy editor of Octane magazine.

I've fallen in love with a Greenbrier as the thinking man's alternative to a VW Type 2 and am looking for a nice original or restored example to take back to the UK. My ideal would be a camper conversion that has some history to it, but I know how scarce these are so I'd be happy to find a regular bus – and I'm not averse to a bit of a road trip to collect it. Before I was a journo I was an archaeologist, so I love a bit of patina and would always prefer to conserve rather than restore
"TexasUK", lives in Church Crookham, Hampshire, UK. I got involved with trying to help him to locate some Corvair-knowledgeable people in the Grand Junction, Colorado area to help him with evaluating a Corvair Greenbrier back in October 2012. He was considering a purchase for export to the UK, and was basically looking for a third party who would evaluate the Greenbrier in person before he made his final decision.

"Mart" (Martin Reed), purchased a Corvair from an unscrupulous dealer in Pennsylvania and had it shipped to England. After he received it, he discovered that the "nice" car was loaded with hidden and covered-up body problems. His is something of an ongoing nightmare story of what can go wrong. He has been determined to make the most of a bad situation, and I suspect that many have learned from his experiences and accomplishments. You can see his extensive thread by clicking on this link: pensylvania bondo bucket viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2512.
:pop: :confused:

"Roastbeef", Recently (in November 2013) imported an early model 1962 white four-door Corvair sedan to the UK. It had belonged to his late brother, and he had it shipped from California. I don't know where he lives in the UK.
:link: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4700&p=32054&hilit=england#p32054

ImageImageImageImage

"UKCORVAIR" Joined the Corvair Forum in January, 2011, but hasn't visited the Corvair Forum since September, 2012. :sad5:

"rustbucket"
Hello UK Corvair, I,m the guy with the brown Corvan who lives near Mart.
No I've never been to Americanna but intend to pencil it in for next year.
There are also numerous Corvair Forum members in the Scandinavian countries, France, Belgium, Germany and Italy.

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your prospective Corvair, and your goals for your Corvair, if you decide to acquire it. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time.

Some in Europe have found very limited purchase opportunities in Europe, and opted to expand their search to the USA... looking at finding the "ideal car" for them and then shipping it to Europe. Often they have enlisted the help of Corvair Forum or CORSA (Corvair Society of America) members who live near the prospective car(s), to obtain a third party opinion from one or more experienced Corvair owners who are willing to inspect and perhaps test drive the car of interest for the buyer in Europe. Such advice can help with making a careful purchase, but it depends on your budget and willingness to take on the added expense of importing a car.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

Hi all. Thanks for the info. I have been scowering the web and reading up on these cars. But get conflicting info so I will ask on here she is a 2.7 what's the bhp 95 ????? also what's the Mpg in us gallons also what's the top speed on them. :pray:

Regards

Andy
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The 1964 Corvair engine displacement increased from 145 cubic inches to 164 cubic inches, which remained the standard engine size until production ended in 1969.

1960 = 140 CID
1961-1963 = 145 CID
1964-1959 = 164 CID

Horsepower ratings in 1964 were 95 hp, 110 hp, and 150 hp (turbocharged). In 1965 the horsepower ratings were 95 hp, 110 hp, 140 hp (4-carburetor, dual exhaust, large valve heads) and 180 hp (turbocharged). The turbo engine was dropped in 1967.

Top speed was reported to be 90 - 114 mph, depending on the engine. Normally aspirated engines could deliver approximately 22-24 mpg. Turbocharged engines averaged mpg ratings in the teens, and demanded Premium fuel. Premium was also recommended for normally aspirated engines, but Regular fuel octane can sometimes be tolerated, depending on terrain, ambient temperatures, vehicle load, etc.
Brad Bodie
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

Hi all and thanks for the info Hope to get to see her if I can make contact with the owner over the weekend. You may know of the car ??
Attachments
rscor.jpg
rscor.jpg (93.83 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
rrscor.jpg
rrscor.jpg (96.27 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

Well I have not got to see her yet with work etc. I was wondering what quick engine checks can I make when viewing ?????
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The two pictures you posted shows a car that appears to be very clean and well-maintained, which shows pride of ownership. Without prior experience with Corvairs it is hard to identify everything you might look for. Will you be able to test drive it? Automatic transmission or manual transmission? If it is an automatic, pull the dipstick and inspect the fluid. It should be at the correct level, clean and red, and not have a burnt smell (as in slipping clutches). If test driving it, note how the transmission shifts. If a manual transmission, check for a rattling sound from the clutch area with the engine running and in neutral, with your foot off of the clutch. A rattling sound could be a loose flywheel (loose rivets). If you hear a rattling sound, and it stops when you slightly press the clutch pedal, a loose flywheel is indicated.

Look for any signs of leaks under the engine or transaxle. Check the operation of the brakes, including the parking brake.

Look for signs of rust or body rot in the floor pan, door frame areas, etc. If there is a mat in the trunk bottom, look under it for rust. (Moisture can get trapped under the mat and can cause decay).

Ask lots of questions about maintenance and documentation, and why the car is being sold. Take a lot of detailed pictures in the engine compartment, trunk, interior, etc. so that you can post them on the Corvair Forum for comment. Include pictures of anything you might question. If you can include a picture of the VIN tag in the driver's door frame, and the body tag in the engine compartment, we can decode them for you. Note the engine serial number... particularly the two letter suffix code at the end of the serial number (to the right of the generator, between the upper shroud and the oil filter adapter).

Good luck!
Brad Bodie
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

Thanks for the reply. She is a four speed manual and has just been in the latest American Classics magazine in the U/K. Still not got up to see her yet . I must make an effort to go but he has no takers yet so I wonder if he is asking too much for her??
breezerabbit

Post by breezerabbit »

If I called a meeting of Corvairs - possibly in conjunction with the Dutch club - would anyone come??? Not a club - just a car park 'full' of 'Vairs.

If interested please do let me know.

Cheers

Mark Hillmer
65 Monza Coupe
roastbeef

Post by roastbeef »

Hi Andy,

I still have my 700 4dr, currently rebuilding the front suspension. I've seen this car for sale, looks nice!
Good luck,
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

:welcome2:

Not from the UK but from the Netherlands! :tu:
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

I know I have marginalized myself away, in the recesses of 'Pushing the Boundaries'; but am I so easily forgotten?
' Success Consists of Going From Failure to Failure, Without Loss of Enthusiasm'

Winston Churchill

Return to “Introductions”