'65 Monza project in the dry central valley CA

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
viewmaster

Re: '65 Monza project in the dry central valley CA

Post by viewmaster »

Well...its been a while since this project post has been updated so... I have since found a great stash of hot rod Corvair buggy parts, and am going a different direction, until i can finish the turbo build.

In the stash was a complete...running 140hp. I have to take off the VM bell adapter(dont fret...its normal rotation) and this and that, but its a great way to get this beast moving and checking things.
Side shot of updated 140hp power pack
Side shot of updated 140hp power pack
Otto oil pump and sump as well...
Otto oil pump and sump as well...
So...ill keep everyone informed, and will post some cool stuff for sale as well. Check out the bump stick i found...
Early Erson 100h<br />Early Erson 100m
Early Erson 100h
Early Erson 100m
...with card!!
...with card!!
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan "Turbo'd" 110 SU conversion 4sp Manual'
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Well...its been a while, but i am still gathering parts, building the shops infrastructure and finishing up a commisioned art project for a local art community. I have started digging deeper on this project, and going to be able to devote way more time and attention to it. Just got a REAL air compressor and got a header plumbed to the shop, so sand blasting and various air tools can GO FOR IT!!!! Also...found some great seats to put in, for a more comfy ride. This is important, since its gonna be my wifes ride...primarilly.

I have found that crushed walnut shells work good for stripping paint...but rust/cancer is another story. Will get some medium grit sand for that.

More to come....
Attachments
Commisioned art project/information kiosk
Commisioned art project/information kiosk
80 Gal. 5hp two stage compressor...
80 Gal. 5hp two stage compressor...
Air header in shop...
Air header in shop...
Seats from a 2002 Chrysler Sebring Vert...
Seats from a 2002 Chrysler Sebring Vert...
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Well...now that i have that huge tank out of the way,
The beast installed...
The beast installed...
and more time on my hands, this one is gonna see some activity. Glad i have a REAL air compressor now, and i moved the car closer to the shop and built a shelter over her this Sat. Took both front windshield and back windows out, and started cleaning up to see what metal work i will have to do. Also, took the dashboard...literally a board, out and marked all the wires for sorting out later. This week, gonna take front seats out and plastic and carpet out. Get down to the nitty gritty.
Attachments
20150926_143734-2.jpg
20150926_113442-1.jpg
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

:eek:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Got the front seats pulled out, the carpets removed and put it up on jackstands this morning. Sandblasted the windshield lower frame area and found some filler material...prolly to hold in some bondo, as well as a pretty extensive leading area on both curbside and roadside, where they join the fenders. I think maybe the PO had put in a repair piece before??? Not sure. Ill need to do my homework as to what is the optimal way to go about cutting this section out and welding in a new piece.
Curbside (most damage)
Curbside (most damage)
Roadside
Roadside
20151003_130948-1.jpg (82.07 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
I do have a question: Is this stock? It looks like stacked "dogleg" sheet metal, that makes up the lower window frame...that has the clips for the front cowl. Not sure if i am even using the correct terms. See if this picture makes any sense. Thanks in advance...Mike
Attachments
20151003_130958-1.jpg
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Here is another angle of the lower frame. It seems like there were multiple pieces pinch welded together on this one. Has anyone else come across this?
Attachments
20151003_131008-1.jpg
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Guess my motto is: Just start cutting out the cancer and your questions will be answered...lol.
Attachments
20151004_101112-1.jpg
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Makes me shiver just looking at it.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

I am gonna have to use a sandblaster, a welder and a bit of POR15...
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Got down to original leading in the corners of the windshield sil.
Wire brushed lower part of a pillar
Wire brushed lower part of a pillar
Curb side
Curb side
I have uncovered original seams and sealer...so i believe that the leading at the bottom of the a pillar is factory.
Cleaned up seam area...
Cleaned up seam area...
20151017_102940-1.jpg
Anyhow...have to order a few things from Clark's, including the replacement sil piece.
Stripped doors
Stripped doors
Also...got the front doors stripped and ready for prep. More tomorrow...

Hey SteveH....thanks for the inspiration in using the wire wheel. It really cleaned up alot of original seam sealant, as well as lead residue. :tu:

Stay tuned...
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Glad to help, Remembered the Mask? (lead residue is BAD)
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Glad you got the glass out. I ALWAYS encourage folks to pull the glue in glass and redo the frame when painting a car. The old sealer has a lifespan of about 6-10 years when exposed to the sun, then you have to remove it and reinstall the glass which few do.

Water gets UNDER the dried out seal and won't evaporate and then the rust starts.

Even western cars have this problem. I got lucky when looking for my cars and both my 66 cars only had a few minor pin holes that were easy to fix. Rebuilding a badly rusted sill is a big job - but the only way to get reliable results is to cut out all the bad metal and weld/braze in new.

Use a quality epoxy automotive primer to seal things before you prime and paint.

Nice job.
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

^ ^^ Thanks guys...i am gonna sandblast all i can get to...after i weld in a new sil piece, then encapsulate the rest, then bondo, then featherfill before prime and paint. Want to do it right, so it lasts another bunch of years.

Off question for all: Anyone use AAC carpet kits for their Vair? Was wondering if a coupe kit would fit a 4-door. (since the wheelbase and body is the same length) I have a line on a kit, for cheap, from a guy who got the wrong color.

Thanks.
-m
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Got a little work done today. Sonce my cheapo, HF impact screwdriver failed at removing the hinges on the rear doors, i couldnt get those stripped and prepped for paint as i would have liked.

So...i started cleaning the floorboards down to bare metal, so i could address any issues there. Seems PO sprayed rubberized undercoating all over the inside, under the carpet and padding. What a mess to have to clean up. UGH!!!!
Attachments
20151025_155915-1.jpg
20151025_155920-1.jpg
20151025_155928-1.jpg
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The lower windshield replacement steel piece is not an excellent reproduction. I would try to find a NOS lower windshield panel before I attempted to install the repro. Even hundreds of dollars extra for the NOS part would not be out of the question, but, I expect you may be able to find a NOS part or rust free used dash section for less than hundreds of dollar more than the repro part. IF you do use the repro panel be prepared to do a lot of reshaping and test fitting during install. You will need to test fit the glass, cowl panel and windshield trim before welding, and do a lot of test fitting during final body filler shaping or the entire repair. The bends in the repro part are not as sharp as they should be, so, for excellent lines and fit of cowl panel and windshield trim the entire panel will need some sculpting.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

terribleted wrote:The lower windshield replacement steel piece is not an excellent reproduction. I would try to find a NOS lower windshield panel before I attempted to install the repro. Even hundreds of dollars extra for the NOS part would not be out of the question, but, I expect you may be able to find a NOS part or rust free used dash section for less than hundreds of dollar more than the repro part. IF you do use the repro panel be prepared to do a lot of reshaping and test fitting during install. You will need to test fit the glass, cowl panel and windshield trim before welding, and do a lot of test fitting during final body filler shaping or the entire repair. The bends in the repro part are not as sharp as they should be, so, for excellent lines and fit of cowl panel and windshield trim the entire panel will need some sculpting.
I figured that i would have to do some massaging...but, looking as well to the replacement part being 22ga., as well as galvanized...i may just go with my first plan and fab one myself. Measure the arc of the windshield, and cut pieces and weld it all together. Using 18ga. metal....maybe even stainless. That should have been a factory choice 50+ years ago. (IMHO)

-m
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”