Corvair Turbo Engine Value?

Anything Corvair related
turnert7696

Corvair Turbo Engine Value?

Post by turnert7696 »

Hi everyone,

I have a late model turbo engine that turns over sitting in my shed at home. My predicament is that I could do something with it eventually, but not until I get out of college in a couple years. So, I've toyed with the idea of getting it running, and then selling it, then using the money towards a different car. This would only be worth it if the engine is worth something. So my question is, if I got it running, what could I reasonably expect to get out of it if I were to sell it? There's been 1 on ebay for $2500, but it's been there for awhile, so that's obviously too much money.

Some details on the engine. The shrouds are a bit dirty, it has a Webber DCOE45 carb, solid flywheel, the crossover, up and down pipes are all rotten from being wrapped, and it will also come with roughly 1 and a half turbos' worth of parts in a box. They seem to be in nice shape.

So if anyone can come up with a ball park estimate on what this might be worth, it would be greatly appreciated. I tried looking online a couple times, but couldn't get an accurate guess.

Thanks, Tim
caraholic4life

Re: Corvair Turbo Engine Value?

Post by caraholic4life »

The value of your engine depends on a whole lot of different factors. Photo's would be a big benefit regarding input.

If it is a late motor as described, the code stamped on the block would allow folks to better know what you have. There is also a difference between the '65 and '66 heads. Are all the bolts holding the shrouds the same 3/8-16 size or are there only two of those on each head with the rest being smaller? If the answer is they are all the same size, you have a '66 engine and that could be worth a little more than a '65.

Is it complete with all shrouds and heat shields? Again photo's would be a benefit.

A non running engine is essentially nothing more than a core. If it is actually complete like it came out of a running car, it could be worth a little more.

A running engine that can be heard prior to a purchase would boost the value but not as much as one that is in a car and could be test driven.

I expect that a very good core engine complete with a turbo and all related pieces wouldn't bring more than $500.00 but closer to maybe $250.00 for someone local that really wants it.

A friend of mine recently sold a good core motor w/o a turbo or shrouds for under $100.00 as it had been sitting for several years inside a dry garage and it needed to go.

Here is an example: I have a 1965 engine in my Corvair that was rebuilt many years ago at a local Corvair shop with TRW forged pistons .040 over. It was balanced & blueprinted, cc'd heads, new cam & lifters etc... This same motor was in another Corvair I had owned and sold then it was swapped into the car I now own. Even though I know the history of this motor and it has less than 100 miles on it since I sold it, the motor hasn't run in over twenty years and I couldn't expect to get more than a couple hundred dollars if I were to try to sell it.

What I am saying is you shouldn't expect a lot of cash for an unknown motor. :my02:
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

If you can think of a price, I would be more than glad to buy it.
1966 Aztec Bronze Turbo Convertible Project (Currently not on the road)
turnert7696

Post by turnert7696 »

I would have posted pictures, but I'm currently 4 and a half hours away at school, and don't have any pictures of it with me. I think, for me, a couple hundred dollars wouldn't be worth it to sell. I don't need to get rid of it, I just thought if it were worth say $1000+, then that could help fund my next project. I'll probably just hang onto it.

Francesco, I'll post pictures as soon as I can if you want to make an offer.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Could you PM them to me?
1966 Aztec Bronze Turbo Convertible Project (Currently not on the road)
notched

Post by notched »

There is a significant difference in value between the 62-64 turbo items and the 65-66 items.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National

Return to “Corvair Talk”