Wife's '63 done....

Anything Corvair related
tommy44432

Wife's '63 done....

Post by tommy44432 »

Finally after 10 months I finished the wife's '63 Convertible. What started out as a simple repaint morphed into a major rebuild. Turned out pretty well even if I say so myself.

A lot of hidden structural repair was necessary and some sheet metal replacement was required...both store bought and hand formed. Engine was rebuilt. Turns out it was a 164 ci/110 hp from a '64 FC van. Interior got a new carpet and door panels. A complete Ron Francis Bare Bonz electrical wiring harness was installed. (Any body contemplating rewiring, if originality isn't a requirement I strongly recommend RF stuff.) New seat covers are on the to do list....eventually. Car was painted Ford Zinc Yellow because that's the color she chose. After a while it's grown on me...but what Queenie wants she gets.

Been driving it as a roadster while watching the skies because it needed a new top. Finally it was installed. 1500 miles since late June and no problems thus far. Hope it stays that way. Next year it's our Blue Ridge Parkway vacation vehicle!
Attachments
aaa3.jpg
aaa1.jpg
aaa5.jpg
aaa7.jpg
aaa9.jpg
294cee012c9dda895b573c1d65786d57.jpg
cad-kid

Re: Wife's '63 done....

Post by cad-kid »

Nice outcome! Looks good!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Nice car. Good job on the body. Sharp color combo. I noticed the black interior.

Decades ago I lived in the Cleveland area and black interiors were popular in the 60's. I'm out in S. Calif. now and you rarely see a Corvair convertible with a black interior, but when I do I figure the car made it's way here from back East. You wouldn't think that S. Calif is that far south, but in the summer a black interior in a convertible makes it impossible to put the top down during a sunny day. Just gets too hot.

I'm just glad there was the black/white interior available. I'm doing my 66 convertible interior in black trim with the white seats and door panels. I've left it sit out in the sun this summer and the seats just get warm, not hot.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:woo: :clap: :not worthy: :tu:

There is something about bright colors on EM Corvairs that I love. It just makes them "pop" and stand out in an excellent way. I guess that is why my favorite interior color on EM Corvairs has always been red.

Beautiful car. Perhaps you should give it a nickname: Butter! :pop:
1963 Monza Convertible (Yellow) (3).jpg
I hope I can own one like that someday!
:thewave: :funnypost: :thumbup: :funnypost: :thumbsupwink:

The next time they have a parade in your town, add your Corvair and load it with cheerleaders... the crowd will never forget it!!!
My Favorite of All Time Corvair Spyder Convertible Photo.jpg
SEE! The EM Corvair convertible makes all the difference!!!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
County98

Post by County98 »

Nice job! Turned out pretty slick! :tu:
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

bbodie52 wrote: :woo: :clap: :not worthy: :tu:

There is something about bright colors on EM Corvairs that I love. It just makes them "pop" and stand out in an excellent way. I guess that Is why my favorite interior color on EM Corvairs has always been red.

Beautiful car. Perhaps you should give it a nickname: Butter! :pop:
1963 Monza Convertible (Yellow) (3).jpg
I hope I can own one like that someday!
:thewave: :funnypost: :thumbup: :funnypost: :thumbsupwink:

The next time they have a parade in your town, add your Corvair and load it with cheerleaders... the crowd will never forget it!!!
My Favorite of All Time Corvair Spyder Convertible Photo.jpg
SEE! The EM Corvair convertible makes all the difference!!!
Thanks Brad. I saved your collage...mighty thoughtful of you to take the time to do that. Interesting that you mentioned a nickname. My wife received a Minion stuffed toy, Stuart, at a party she went to and stuck it in the back seat. And since Mickey D's is/was doing a promotion for the Minion movie she stopped at McDonald's and sweet talked the guy behind the counter to find her a Kevin toy to hang from the rear view mirror. We are looking for a Bob Minion now. The local paper covered a charity car show and the wife's car was featured in pictures for the article. The lady reporter called it the Minion-mobile. Not sure if I like that so much....lol.

P.S. I saved the picture of the Corvair with the babes in it, too. For future reference of course.
Duane in Bakersfield

Post by Duane in Bakersfield »

Looks great! Most of us here know what it's like to do that quality of restoration on a limited budget. Very nicely done.
66TurboVaca

Post by 66TurboVaca »

Excellent!! I love it!!
rv6aaviator

Post by rv6aaviator »

Looks gorgeous! :tu:
Jeff Sandor
Prez Cincinnati Corvair Club
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible