Hello from Sacramento

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Jaxbro

Hello from Sacramento

Post by Jaxbro »

My wife, Laurie ,and I went to Hot August Nights last week to find me a new "toy". I have built 13 or a dozen classic cars and now am looking for another one. All my projects include BIG V8's. Guess who ends up with the car? Oh yea! It's a ' 63 and all original. Overall it runs well but will need some attention from ,you guessed it, me. I'm used to big carbs,engines,brakes etc. Anyhow I will need to lean on you guys until I get this think running well. I need to know of any good contacts in the Sacramento area.
Thanks
Jim D
Attachments
IMG_0592.JPG
IMG_0590.JPG
JerryM

Re: Hello from Sacramento

Post by JerryM »

Check out Classic Corvairs of River city.
http://www.northern-california-corvairs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jerry - Placerville California

'63 Monza Cp. 102/ PG
'64 Rampside 140/4spd
'65 Monza Ct. 140/4spd.
'66 Corsa Cp. 140/4spd.
funvairs

Post by funvairs »

:welcomeparty:
Chris Brown

Corvanatics: Director at Large
Ultra Van Motor Coach Club Vice President
CORSA
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

This link should provide you with several useful Corvair-related websites...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

Joining a local club chapter of CORSA (Corvair Society of America) can add a lot to your enjoyment of the Corvair. Clubs are family-friendly and often offer training classes, car shows, picnics, competition events, scenic drives, etc.

CORSA Chapter Locator - Classic Corvairs of River City

Sacramento, California

Mailing Address: Classic Corvairs of River City, c/o: Larry Forman, 6300 Surfside Way, Sacramento, CA 95831

CLUB OFFICERS

President: Chris Medeiros, Phone: 916-992-3198

Vice President: Carl Funk, Phone: 916-783-5070

Treasurer: Finn Halbo, Phone: 530-747-6323

Secretary: Bill Moore, Phone: 530-333-2063

Membership: Larry Forman, Phone: 916-216-9801

Historian: Christy Barden, Phone: 530-263-1001

Editor: Harry Spence, Phone: 530-272-5239

:link: http://www.northern-california-corvairs.com/

For information please call or Email Larry Forman (916) 216-9801 or Cell (916) 216-9801
Email: larry@forman.net

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.

I have been around Corvairs since I was eight years old, when my parents purchased a new 1961 Monza coupe, and a new 1965 Corsa convertible a few years later (the car I learned to drive in). My first Corvair was purchased for me for $100 by my father in 1969, when I was sixteen years old. I spent my summer vacation in San Jose learning to remove the powertrain from a well-worn 1963 Corvair 500 coupe. The engine was frozen, so I taught myself to take it apart and rebuild it. I discovered a faulty Powerglide automatic so I learned to rebuild that too. A few years later I had swapped my first engine rebuild into a nicer 1962 Monza coupe (4-speed), and that same engine powered the car I drove on my wedding day and on to our honeymoon, when we drive the Corvair from Southern California (Thousand Oaks) to Monterey and the Bay Area. I have since driven Corvairs all over the USA and in Germany while serving in the Air Force, and after 43 years of marriage we still drive a Corvair.

Since you are already familiar with working on classic automobiles, I would suggest that learning to work on a classic Corvair is similar to learning to work on a motorcycle. Multiple carburetors, lots of aluminum in the engine, small displacement, and air cooling are often what you find when turning wrenches on a motorcycle, but you should find that following the shop manuals and other technical guides, and getting help on websites like the Corvair Forum will help you a great deal.

When working on the engine, make use of torque wrenches, be careful about avoiding cross-threading when screwing things together into soft aluminum, and make use of a can of anti-seize compound to help protect the threads. If you want to rid yourself of the ignition points and condenser, there are several kits from Crane Cams and Pertronix that will replace the points with more reliable electronic ignition based on a magnetic or optical trigger. A uni-syn vacuum gauge is a common tool that helps with synchronizing the carburetors. That tool was introduced back in the 1950's and has helped many owners of British sports, motorcycles, etc. that are fitted with multiple carburetors.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
JerryM

Post by JerryM »

http://corvaircenter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.vv.corvair.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are great groups too!
Jerry - Placerville California

'63 Monza Cp. 102/ PG
'64 Rampside 140/4spd
'65 Monza Ct. 140/4spd.
'66 Corsa Cp. 140/4spd.
66TurboVaca

Post by 66TurboVaca »

Welcome to the forum!! Sweet looking car!
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Welcome from the Bay Area! (East bay - About 2 hours west of you)
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe

Return to “Introductions”