front coil springs

Anything Corvair related
tbird55

front coil springs

Post by tbird55 »

hello, i replaced my front coils with heavy duty springs from clarks. everything indicated it lower the car at least 1". the springs were at least and inch and a half shorter than the originals. the car sits approximately the same height it did before replacement. am i missing something? its been about 2 weeks and ive had someone tell me it will settle, will it? thx for any info. tom p.s. its a 65 monza 4dr although i doubt that has any bearing on the situation.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: front coil springs

Post by azdave »

It is quite likely that your new shorter, stiffer springs (when loaded) end up at the same ride height as your 50-year old, sagging OEM springs.

Many people looking for a lowered stance on a LM will buy the Clark's HD springs like you but end up cutting off one coil to get the desired height and stiffness. I would not count on them settling further but be sure you have them seated in the pockets properly and that you've driven a few miles to be sure.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

azdave wrote:It is quite likely that your new shorter, stiffer springs (when loaded) end up at the same ride height as your 50-year old, sagging OEM springs.

Many people looking for a lowered stance on a LM will buy the Clark's HD springs like you but end up cutting off one coil to get the desired height and stiffness. I would not count on them settling further but be sure you have them seated in the pockets properly and that you've driven a few miles to be sure.
As Dave says - most just cut a coil off the old front springs (Corvairs always sat high in the front even when new) and it gets worse with age since the rears sag more than the front springs.

I like to avoid "bottom crashes" and I just keep the old front springs as is and install new rear springs and then the car sits level. Just me.
Bughappy

Post by Bughappy »

Disappointing, I was about to "spring" (pun intended) for a set of the HD springs from Clarks to lower my '65 Monza an inch (or2)... I've never cut coil springs and don't want to make my Vair "non op" if I did and screwed up the job. Does ANYONE sell spring sets to lower Vairs that work?
Last edited by Bughappy on Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbird55

Post by tbird55 »

thx all for your feedback, i guess ill remove and cut a coil and replace rears so it at least sits level. the springs are seated correctly and ive driven probably 100 miles so thats probably the only way ill get close to the look i want. corvairforum comes through again, great resource, tom
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

tbird55 wrote:thx all for your feedback, i guess ill remove and cut a coil and replace rears so it at least sits level. the springs are seated correctly and ive driven probably 100 miles so thats probably the only way ill get close to the look i want. corvairforum comes through again, great resource, tom
Before you cut the front, replace the rear springs and check it out. The old rear springs (due to the weight) are always mushy. Install new standard or HD springs and drive the car first. After it "settles" you can decide if you want to cut the fronts.

For those that want the "slammed" look do what most do. Leave the old rear springs as is and cut a coil off the old front springs. The front will be slightly lower than the rear - just watch out for the speed bumps.

Needless to say a front alignment will be in order.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Back in the early 60's everyone had their cars lowered in the front, we used spring clamps "wonder if the still make them" I had my dad's 60 Chevy wagon lowered around 4 inches or more. Dad had a plating shop & every piece of interior trim that would come off was chromed plus the 283 engine parts, one good looking wagon back then. With the clamps you could squeeze down any number of coils you wanted. AAAAAAAh the good old days. :tu: :tu: :chevy:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

ImageI suspect this source could build Corvair springs that would be properly calibrated to produce desired support and body height. They would be familiar with spring design, so that correct materials and other parameters could be chosen to result in a safe design that would produce needed support, fitment, and ride height. Just click on "Request a Quote" and dial in the information about your car, including desired ride height adjustments and lowering...
Antique / Hot Rod Coil Springs

These symbols of yesterday can be found getting a new life for the road in garages all across the world. Although most are being restored to their original condition, many are after a specific look, such as the gasser look of the race track or the slow and low easy rider of Main Street. Whatever your goal, Coil Spring Specialties has the expertise to set your project vehicle at your desired height. And don't over look weight changes. These changes can significantly change the load dynamics and trim height of your vehicle. So if you gain or lose a few pounds due to engine swaps or chassis and body modifications, we can compensate for these changes with a new pair of springs.

Whatever the make or model, from classic collectibles to muscle cars, show-stopping originals to clones, we have supplied auto enthusiasts with coil springs, all 100% calibrated to fulfill their suspension needs.

We build each set of springs to your vehicle's specifications. We will need YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE SIZE, TRANSMISSION TYPE, and A/C to put into account for each car we engineer for, as all these options play into the manufacturing of your springs

:link: http://www.coilsprings.com/classic.aspx

Call (785) 437-2025
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Bughappy

Post by Bughappy »

YOU 'DA Man Brad.. exactly what I was looking to find ... thanks !
tbird55

Post by tbird55 »

66vairguy wrote:
tbird55 wrote:thx all for your feedback, i guess ill remove and cut a coil and replace rears so it at least sits level. the springs are seated correctly and ive driven probably 100 miles so thats probably the only way ill get close to the look i want. corvairforum comes through again, great resource, tom
Before you cut the front, replace the rear springs and check it out. The old rear springs (due to the weight) are always mushy. Install new standard or HD springs and drive the car first. After it "settles" you can decide if you want to cut the fronts.

For those that want the "slammed" look do what most do. Leave the old rear springs as is and cut a coil off the old front springs. The front will be slightly lower than the rear - just watch out for the speed bumps.

Needless to say a front alignment will be in order.
well now that im going to replace rear springs and you suggest reg or hd, do you have a preference? again at this point ill settle for it sitting level (hate the nose up attitude, just looks wrong). thx, tom
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Standard or HD spring? That's a personal choice. Some folks like a firm ride or are weekend racers. Others have to contend with lousy local roads and want a more compliant ride and greater road clearance.

I'm old and learned from European cars that you don't have to have a "firm" ride to make a car handle well. Tires go a long way towards improving handling, but if you like a flat cornering attitude and a lower car the HD springs work.

As stated I keep the old front springs as is and install new "standard convertible" rear springs. BTW - you can put the convertible LM springs in a sedan. They have a load rating between the standard and HD springs, BUT they are the same height as the standard spring. The convertible springs were used on cars with A/C installations, that's how I learned about them.

I like the Clark's adjustable shocks since you can tune the front and rear differently, granted it's a PITA removing the shocks to set them - but hey, it's a hobby.

I also move the spare tire and battery to the front - moving the battery is an expensive proposition BTW. Moving the tire is easy. It's not much in the way of weight transfer, but every little bit helps.

Don't forget a full tank of gasoline is about 70lbs!! Between full and empty expect about a 50 pound differential - something to think about if you want to go on a track.
tbird55

Post by tbird55 »

thx for the input, sounds like convertible springs are the way to go....as usual appreciate all your replies. tom

Return to “Corvair Talk”