Thunder Kiss '65 Project

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
Hellbilly

Re: Thunder Kiss '65 Project

Post by Hellbilly »

Sometimes, when following a build, or reading about one in a magazine, you get left with the impression that it was all a linear process, with no mistakes or changes of direction.

The truth is, the path from barn-find to strip terror often looks more like your favorite section of mountain highway, than a straight line from A to B!

I had a dream of finding a simple way to convert the standard IFS to rack & pinion steering, disc brakes, coilovers and polybushes; as well as improving the roll-camber gain characteristics. Now, I have a hastily thrown back together front end, as I needed to get the car moved into the workshop.

I'm too far down the road with the Corvair knuckles (remember those expensive alloy hubs?), but am now looking at fabricating a new cross-member and control arms to get it exactly how I want. Ok, so for me, that's not the end of the world; the car is going to be totally off the wall by the time it's done, so a custom IFS is just another straw on the camels back!

Given the choice over again, I would cut out the whole Corvair IFS and put a Mazda MX5 (Miata) front clip in instead. Its a similar size, similar track and the later ones have 5 stud wheels. Loose the standard struts and convert to off-the-shelf coilovers to allow you to fit the softer springs which the Corvair needs.

However, so far I am VERY happy with the rear suspension, and will be unveiling this over the next week or so!
' Success Consists of Going From Failure to Failure, Without Loss of Enthusiasm'

Winston Churchill
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

:tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Ok, I wanted to get this in properly before I posted it up, but Im just too damn buzzed about how this is going together; I just had to share!

Here is the Porsche 911 996 rear suspension unit.

Note that I have narrowed the crossmember by 6" to reduce the track width...
Attachments
image.jpg
' Success Consists of Going From Failure to Failure, Without Loss of Enthusiasm'

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

The only clearancing I needed to do was to remove two small sections out of the 'rails'
Attachments
image.jpg

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

And a better shot of the whole unit offered up into place
Attachments
image.jpg

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

And here's my favorite picture though; couldn't believe how clean the inside of the rails were; like new!

Looks galvanized, so perhaps the whole car was dipped before assembly?
Attachments
image.jpg

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Tacked together a basic 'skeleton' for the front subframe mount.

Still quite a bit of plating to template up, and a 'capping' to weld on top once its all attached.

Its a good start; all thanks to a cardboard model ;)
Attachments
image.jpg

Winston Churchill
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Hellbilly wrote:And here's my favorite picture though; couldn't believe how clean the inside of the rails were; like new!

Looks galvanized, so perhaps the whole car was dipped before assembly?
I wish the whole car would have been galvanized, they would have lasted much longer. Just the rockers and rear frame members.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
rfw66

Post by rfw66 »

:tu: For one I want to thank you for thinking "outside the transplant box".
Two; Keep up the good work, you are inspiring a lot of us Corvair folks. :not worthy:
Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Cad Kid - Thanks for that info; it will come in useful when Im welding these areas!

rfw66 - Thanks for your comments! Even if no-one goes as far as to copy me (and I dont blame them) I hope that people get inspiration or confidence to try crazy stuff! That is one of the reasons that I try to put pictures up of things in progress, as it can be daunting to take on something so involved. The important thing to realise is that a large project is just made up from loads of smaller problems, and the way to stay grounded is to concentrate on solving them one at a time...

Whilst on the subject, if anyone wants more detail of a stage, or an explanation of the process which led to the solution; please ask and I will answer to my best ability!

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Just a little progress update to show you where Im up to...

Got the subframe mounts boxed in, as well as filling that pesky cut out in the rail.

Should have said before; I have used one of the original gearbox crossmember mounting holes. Firstly, it alows me to positively mount and position the mounts; secondly, they proved to be good reference points.

I would recomend that anyone making custom brackets or plates, whatever they are for, uses a proven reference point; such as these. If nothing suitable is nearby, mark up and drill the body work. This approach is especially useful if the bracket is on and off multiple times (such as these).

I'm hanging back on fully welding the brackets, until I have made up the other 4 mounting brackets, and proven off the final subframe position in the car.
Attachments
image.jpg

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Ok, so I havent done a massive amount in the last fortnight; but in my defense, it has been very hot and humid here, and my Viking blood is to thick to function properly...

Anyway, heres what did happen (mostly this evening)
Attachments
image.jpg

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

And one for you fabrication-junkies
Attachments
image.jpg

Winston Churchill
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

And finally:

Looking forwards at the clearance frame and the LHD mounting point
Attachments
image.jpg

Winston Churchill
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Good thread :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

More goings-in the engine bay!
Attachments
image.jpg

Winston Churchill

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”