A Challenge

Humor, Politics, etc...
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

A Challenge

Post by BIGTWIN »

I have a challenge for you all. Having just passed the Thanksgiving holiday and thinking about my blessed life I got to thinking about the people I see day to day that have so much less than they need. Don't shut me down yet, I'm not talking about the people that are able to work but choose to milk the system and beg for money instead. I'm talking about the people you see at Walmart or the other discount chains, or broke down on the road, that are working at making their ends meet but obviously not quite getting there. Maybe they're disabled, or old and barely getting by. I propose that those who can afford to do it this Christmas season carry $50.00 extra in your wallet or purse and when you see one of these moms or dads with their kids, shopping for their family, or an elderly person or something just go to them and give it to them and tell them Merry Christmas. It might be someone waiting on you at a restaraunt. I know most of the time you can't tell who's trying and who's not but sometimes, if you're looking for them, you see them around you. You just seem to know it. If you disagree with me please just let it go, I'm harmless and don't want to argue over who deserves it and who doesn't. I know about the bums and worthless people that are out there but we all know about the ones who aren't that way and a little help at Christmas could mean a lot, (I've been there too). If you agree then at least give it a thought. A direct random act of kindness like this will brighten up your Christmas as well, maybe more. I hope you all have a great Christmas and get to celebrate it with the people you love. Try not to let the commercial part get you down.
1961 Monza
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it's too dark to read."
dagdal1967
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: A Challenge

Post by dagdal1967 »

I accept your challenge. I'm very lucky to be doing very well and to have not felt any significant impact from the recession.

Like you, I've been there too; as a student, a struggling entrepreneur, a failed businessman (and yes those were consecutive positions). I know how much $50 can mean.

Merry Christmas.
Doug Gault
Fort Worth, Texas

- 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium
- 1964 Palomar Red Corvair 900 Monza Club Coupe
- 1961 Lincoln Continental

The Air Cooled Addiction Continues...
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

BIGTWIN wrote:I have a challenge for you all. Having just passed the Thanksgiving holiday and thinking about my blessed life I got to thinking about the people I see day to day that have so much less than they need. Don't shut me down yet, I'm not talking about the people that are able to work but choose to milk the system and beg for money instead. I'm talking about the people you see at Walmart or the other discount chains, or broke down on the road, that are working at making their ends meet but obviously not quite getting there. Maybe they're disabled, or old and barely getting by. I propose that those who can afford to do it this Christmas season carry $50.00 extra in your wallet or purse and when you see one of these moms or dads with their kids, shopping for their family, or an elderly person or something just go to them and give it to them and tell them Merry Christmas. It might be someone waiting on you at a restaraunt. I know most of the time you can't tell who's trying and who's not but sometimes, if you're looking for them, you see them around you. You just seem to know it. If you disagree with me please just let it go, I'm harmless and don't want to argue over who deserves it and who doesn't. I know about the bums and worthless people that are out there but we all know about the ones who aren't that way and a little help at Christmas could mean a lot, (I've been there too). If you agree then at least give it a thought. A direct random act of kindness like this will brighten up your Christmas as well, maybe more. I hope you all have a great Christmas and get to celebrate it with the people you love. Try not to let the commercial part get you down.
Great thoughts! I think I will......
SfcColts

Post by SfcColts »

The wife and I went to dinner tonight. Besides the challenges of a new job (for both of us) and a new hip for me, this has been a very blessed year. We looked around before we left and saw a family of 6 out to dinner. It reminded my wife and I of us in our younger days. We called over the waitress, gave her $50, and told her to put it towards her bill. Then we proceeded to pay our $20 meal and leave her a $30 tip.

Like the post above mine, both my wife and I have been there struggling with Christmas presents for kids, gas for your car, etc..

I sincerely hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. And to those of you who celebrate another Holiday I hope that is filled with joy.
65 Arrival Blue Monza
64 Palomar Red Monza
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

SfcColts wrote:The wife and I went to dinner tonight. Besides the challenges of a new job (for both of us) and a new hip for me, this has been a very blessed year. We looked around before we left and saw a family of 6 out to dinner. It reminded my wife and I of us in our younger days. We called over the waitress, gave her $50, and told her to put it towards her bill. Then we proceeded to pay our $20 meal and leave her a $30 tip.

Like the post above mine, both my wife and I have been there struggling with Christmas presents for kids, gas for your car, etc..

I sincerely hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. And to those of you who celebrate another Holiday I hope that is filled with joy.
I too am extremely blessed and have much to be thankful for. I like what you did here. I have tried to give $$ to people who looked like they might appreciate it, only to find them offended by my "charity". Whenever I'm in an airport and see a serviceman/woman in uniform at any restaurant, etc, I do the same and pay their bill for them anonymously.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

Considering the kind of people we have on this forum I'm not surprised at these responses. It does feel good on both sides of that deal doesn't it. Merry Christmas everybody.
1961 Monza
reidmier
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by reidmier »

We recently lost our 35 year old son unexpectedly to illness. His favorite saying was: "Never look down on another man unless you're helping him up." I hope to live by those words the rest of my life, so I also accept the challenge. God bless and Merry Christmas to everyone. Remember to hug your kids!
Reid M.
Washington, UT.
'65 Monza 110 PG

http://www.hacoa.org/
http://www.vegasvairs.com/
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

I'm truly sorry for the loss of your son. He sounds like a thoughtful and decent man. I have 3 and I can't fathom losing one of them. Thanks for the eye opener and may God bless your family this Christmas season.
1961 Monza
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Reid,

In 1975 our one-year-old daughter passed away. We now have two sons, ages 38 and 35, and we are grateful every day for them and our grandchildren (and as of yesterday a great grandson). Having experienced the loss of our daughter almost 40 years ago I know something of the pain you are feeling. I know that pain never really goes away, but that faith and time will help you to live with your son's loss. The blessings of his memory helps a lot too! I'm truly sorry to hear of your loss, and hope that your faith will give you the strength you need.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Off Topic”