What is the age range of Corvair Fans? (POLL)

Anything Corvair related

What age bracket do you fit into?

16-25
9%
26-35
10%
36-45
15%
46-55
25%
56-65
24%
66-75
15%
76+
3%
Mind yer own BeezWax!
0%

Total votes: 704

SpyderMan

Re: What is the age range of Corvair Fans? (POLL)

Post by SpyderMan »

34 and have been into Vairs sense I was 18. Can't imagine that will change any time soon.
Sam Russell
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Monza Spyder
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

The poll numbers seem to verify what the collector car articles claim --- Most folks don't get into the "old" car hobby until they reach 45 due to the demands of raising a family and of course monetary considerations.

A hobby requires time and money - two things in short supply when your are younger unless you have help from your parents. I've seen a few younger folks have to give up on old cars once they get married and have kids, but the odds are they will come back later.
Fast Eddie
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Fast Eddie »

Jerry.jpg
Jerry.jpg (10.1 KiB) Viewed 15644 times
I bought my first Corvair, a '64 Monza coupe in 1964 when I was 22.
Traded it in 1966 for the Corvair I own today.
That's 50 years in Corvairs and still counting!
I'm 72 and wondering where the time went.
Last edited by Fast Eddie on Mon May 26, 2014 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it aint broke, give me a minute
BruceWeeks

Post by BruceWeeks »

Just picked up my fifth Corvair, the first one in 35 years though. This is a 66 Corsa coupe in Madera Maroon/black interior.

Previously owned: 1960 white 500 sedan, 1961 black/red Monza coupe, 1965 500 coupe and a Corvair powered dune buggy.
1966 Corsa Sport Coupe, 140 HP, 4 Carb, 4 speed.
Jesse1391

Post by Jesse1391 »

Is there anyone in the charlotte nc area that's into corvairs in their 20s im 23 and the closest guy to my age is 50 that I know of
63monzaspyder

Post by 63monzaspyder »

i am 14 and i love my 63 corvair monza spyder 900 should i paint it the original aqua color or a bright neon green on the top half and satan black on the bottem half and make a zombie outbreak car????????? :helpsos: :dontknow: :banghead:
dagdal1967
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by dagdal1967 »

It's your car and you're the one that has to Love it! I like interesting paint jobs, but mine will stay original.
Doug Gault
Fort Worth, Texas

- 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium
- 1964 Palomar Red Corvair 900 Monza Club Coupe
- 1961 Lincoln Continental

The Air Cooled Addiction Continues...
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

63monzaspyder wrote:i am 14 and i love my 63 corvair monza spyder 900 should i paint it the original aqua color or a bright neon green on the top half and satan black on the bottem half and make a zombie outbreak car?????????
ummm....go Orimbie (half original + half zombie) :tongue:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Well, I'm 61 and I've been around Corvairs since my parents bought their first one in 1961 — a (then) new 1961 Monza Coupe in white, with a red interior. I was only 8 years old then. I learned to drive and got my first driver's license in 1968 in my parent's 1965 Corsa convertible, which started out in a light blue. We later painted it dark green, and later yet (in 1980) when the car had been handed over to me while I was in the Air Force, I painted it red (see below)

1965 Corsa convertible in 1965 — MIST BLUE — My father and me at age 12 in Southern California at Edwards AFB

1965 Corsa convertible in 1973 — DARK GREEN — with my then pregnant wife in Warner Robins, Georgia (I was about 21)

Same 1965 Corsa convertible in 1980 — RED — at Hanscom AFB, Massachusetts, just before we shipped it to Germany

You don't have to stick with stock factory colors (I didn't), but you should choose something that looks good with the interior color. The second color combination you mentioned is a little radical for my taste. A 1963 Spyder (I used to own a 1963 Spyder convertible in white with a black interior) is a rare classic. I have posted production numbers below. Only 11,627 1963 Spyder coupes were ever manufactured, and many of those are gone 50 years later. You own a rare classic car, and I would recommend treating it with respect. Fix it up as nicely as you can. Look over pictures of Early Model Corvairs here on the Corvair Forum, and choose a color that you like and that looks really sharp. If you can you might customize it with some nice custom wheels or wire wheels, or wire wheel wheelcovers. Learn how to repair and maintain it, and it will attract a lot of attention just because it is a classic turbocharged Corvair Spyder! My 1965 Corsa was with me for decades, and I really loved it. Hopefully you will feel the same way about your 1963 Spyder!
Corvair Production Statistics.jpg
Here are a variety of EM Corvairs that I really like...
Best EM Engine Compartment (1).JPG
Best EM Engine Compartment (3).JPG
Hands Wheels o a EM Corvair Coupe (2).jpg
My Favorite of All Time Corvair Spyder Convertible Photo.jpg
The Marines Have Landed - 1964 Corvair Convertible (2).jpg
Black Beauty.jpg
1962 Chevrolet Spyder Convertible GM Built Prototype Show Car (4).jpg
1963 Monza Time Capsule (3) - Ki Hansen.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Jean & Dave Yarosq

Post by Jean & Dave Yarosq »

I am pleasantly surprised to find that the majority is 55 or less. That is not the norm with most classic car groups. It bodes well for the future!
Dave Yaros

On the web
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" -62 Olds Site
http://GrayLady.atwebpages.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" -55 Cad Coupe de Ville Site
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" -Car Collector Chronicles Newsletter
ihscomputers
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by ihscomputers »

Another member of the 46-55 almost-over-the-hill group! ::-):

To paraphrase Chico Escuela:

"Thank you berry much! Corvairs been berry berry good to me!"

http://www.hark.com/clips/xmxlbvdqxc-chico-escuela
Dean F. Gemberling
Box Springs, Georgia
Heart of Georgia Webmaster

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998
1965 Monza Coupe w/63 Buick 215 V8 - Former 13-second Drag Car by Ken Arnold
burke1

Post by burke1 »

well my age isn't even on there. My dad and I bought our first corvair in october of last year! I was 13 at the time! I am 14 now and am frantically waiting to get my permit so I can finally drive our '63 monza 900!
sixbanger

Post by sixbanger »

burke1 wrote:well my age isn't even on there. My dad and I bought our first corvair in october of last year! I was 13 at the time! I am 14 now and am frantically waiting to get my permit so I can finally drive our '63 monza 900!
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
That's awesome Burke 1. Let us know how your first spin around the block goes
turnert7696

Post by turnert7696 »

I'm 18 years old and have been working on my 65 corsa convertible since i bought it when I was 15. I haven't even driven it yet, but I still love it.
Attachments
20141127_130128.jpg
warwagon

Post by warwagon »

At 32, I have been involved with Corvairs all my life thanks to parents and their choice of machine but really getting into them heavy again for the last two years.
'65 Corvair Corsa new DD being built
'66 Buick Riviera GS
'66 Corvair Corsa corv8
'66 Corvair Corsa 140
'82 Buick Regal Limited, 401Nailhead, S/P 400
'84 Buick Regal 3.8 Blowthru Turbo
'01 Chevy Silverado Z71 4X4 DD
junkman

Post by junkman »

lonestranger wrote:I've got 6 more months and I change age groups - then at least we will have 1 in the 76 "club" :clap: I have played with corvairs since got my new 63 Monza convert with all the HD options (semi metallic brakes, HD shocks, HD springs, 4speed, 102 hp engine & positraction differential. Added quick steering arms, "short" shifter , Lucas"flame thrower" lights & a Becker Mexico AM/FM radio.) I had almost $2700 invested! ::-): Have tried "taking the cure" several times, but always seem to "fall off the wagon" eventually, don't ya know!! :evil:
My first Corvair was a 1962 Monza 4 door, and it was wrecked when parked during a snow storm. It was replaced by a 1963 Spyder convertible, (Honduras maroon) and it had all the same factory options as your car. I also added all the things you mentioned, except for the Becker radio. Where I was living in NH, we were lucky to get an AM station, and the closest FM station was probably Boston. That was a great car, until it got rear ended, and it was replaced with a 1964 Impala convertible.
I deal with reasonable people reasonably, and unreasonable people, not at all!

Return to “Corvair Talk”