I spotted a corsa by my house

Anything Corvair related
dasaint80

I spotted a corsa by my house

Post by dasaint80 »

I was driving to work and noticed a corvair parked in a lot. I stopped in and asked about it. They said towed it from an empty lot near by where it was siting there for over 2 months and they were in the process of getting the title. I asked if I could check it out , they were cool with it. it turned out to be a '66 corvair corsa convertible turbo. I asked them what was they're plans with it. They had no idea, they say they usually crush them. I left them my info and told them to call me when they get the title... and that I would be interested in it.

The car was missing a battery and the air intake for the turbo was not connected to the turbo, the top looked in good shape except the rear window was off the zipper. The floors looked good, and the interior looked amazing. i couldn't see how many miles were on it. The paint has some cracks on it but there was no rust or bad chips.

I'm gonna try to take some pics tomorrow when I stop by again.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Steve
Everything deserves a second chance!!
cc_devilbiss

Re: I spotted a corsa by my house

Post by cc_devilbiss »

I think that you do whatever it takes to save the car from the crusher.

If it needs a home, I have plenty of space in the western half of the state.
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

If that IS in fact a '66 corsa conv. turbo, did you know that that's one of the rarest, most desirable models? I'd be on the lookout for massive rust problems though before I got too excited about it. Good luck though!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:funnypost: :runwoohoo: I think you should camp out and chain yourself to the car with checkbook in hand to make certain that it does not go to the crusher!
:omgosh:

A Philadelphia Corvair convertible with no significant body rot???? With all that Pennsylvania road salt it would be hard to believe.

Only 3,142 1966 Corsa convertibles were ever built (I own one). A small percentage had the turbocharged engine option. The VIN should start out with "107676...", and the ACC line on the body tag (near the distributor) should include "4O"
4 = Fourth Group O = RPO L87 Turbo engine

Example...
66-10767 = 1966 Chevrolet Corsa convertible.
ACC: E2SR4FO5Y (The "O" means that this Corsa was originally equipped with a 180 hp turbocharged engine).

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dasaint80

Post by dasaint80 »

First I wanna say sorry for the bad pictures. ..I was trying to be all stealthy. ... but I'm fat. ...
Let me know what you guy think I should offer for it.....

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1411152415802.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1411152428570.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1411152443359.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1411152485202.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1411152500590.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1411152518251.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1411152532240.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1411152415802.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411152428570.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411152443359.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411152485202.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411152500590.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411152518251.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411152532240.jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

1965 Chevrolet Corsa Convertible manufactured in Willow Run, Michigan

733- E-1 (Blue Interior with Dark Blue "Danube Blue" Body and White Convertible Top)

ACC: D2L4PO

D = RPO C06 Power Top

2nd Group

L = RPO M20 4 Speed

4th Group

P = RPO Z01 convenience group (2 sp wipers, washers, day/night inside mirror).

O = RPO L87 Turbo engine

Say: "It will need a lot of work" and offer them twice the scrap value for it (they were planning on crushing it, right?)

Pay more if you have to, but what if they go for it? :tongue: :whoa: :drool:

:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 64,quote=1
Dan Davis - Seattle ~ CORSA Western Director wrote:Estimated production of 1965 Corsa Turbo convertibles is: 2100

I sold my last one for $3000 about 15 years ago.
Was complete and solid, but needed a full restoration
Danube Blue w/ blue interior, manual top
> Having said that, whadya think one in good
> condition would fetch?
>
> Engine all there, top good, interior good, and no
> rust...

Looks like 8,000 - 12,000 dollars or more depending on overall condition
Not sure where you got that price range from, as Hagerty values for a '65 Turbo Vert are:

Condition 1 $32,800
Condition 2 $21,500
Condition 3 $13,800
Condition 4 $8,600
Hagerty wrote:Condition Ratings
#1 vehicles in Hagerty Price Guide are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best car, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the car has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 cars is "concours."

#2 cars could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 cars that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and interior will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine compartment. The vehicle will drive as a new car of its era would. The one word description for #2 cars is "excellent."

#3 cars could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 car, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior. #3 cars drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These cars are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a Hagerty Price Guide #3.

#4 cars are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the fender has a minor dent. The interior could have split seams or a cracked dash. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or the interior might not be stock. A #4 car can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a Hagerty Price Guide #4 car.
1965 Danube Blue Corsa Convertible.jpg
1965 Danube Blue Corsa Convertible.jpg (82.36 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Brad Bodie
dasaint80

Post by dasaint80 »

They said cars that sit on a lot for more that 2 month they tow from lots they crush once they get the titles. ...

dasaint80

Post by dasaint80 »

I'm scared to see what it'll take to get it running... is it wierd that the turbo shroud and the intake are different is that something I should be scared off?

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The powertrain alone could sell for more than $2000, unless it has a broken crankshaft or something. Turbo is unknown, but if you get this car for something around scrap metal pricing how can you lose?

The more scared, uncertain, nervous, etc. you appear to be, the better the price you might negotiate. It probably has little value to them — act like it has a little more to you! If you change your mind later I'm sure one of the CORSA club members in Philadelphia or New Jersey would love to have it!!
Brad Bodie
dasaint80

Post by dasaint80 »

^very true sir!!!

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Offer them $500 and see what happens. That's well over scrap value and low enough that you can't lose, even if it's a part car.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
cc_devilbiss

Post by cc_devilbiss »

The intake looks normal, but the turbo shroud is strange. Also, what's up with the fan?
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Git it! It's green! ::-): It does have a somewhat untouched, original look about it........if that thing went to the crusher, it'd be a crying shame! Looks like the previous owner fabbed up his own heat shield, that's all. The originals are known for breaking their mounting legs. I would be dead-set intent on buying this car (without showing my excitement) if for the reason of making a corsa clone out of another rust-free body. Just get it cheap though.
dasaint80

Post by dasaint80 »

So after a year of sitting, they actually are looking to sell it now... they want $3500... OBO it seems kinda steep. They don't even know if it runs!

The guy said I ran when they parked it, and it rolls ... ugh...
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Out West I've seen solid convertibles in need of work sell for around $3,000.00. A rough Turbo Corsa convertible is worth $3,500.00 IF the body is solid - and that's a big IF back East.

Just my opinion.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

If I really wanted a 65 Corsa as a keeper for myself, I might offer $2K for this one assuming it has solid rockers and floors, never wrecked, etc.

If I was buying it to part out or flip it I would not come close to that amount. You should certainly do the rusty rocker test and look under the carpet and back seat area before making any offers since they now think it has more than scrap value.

For all you know they might have seen this thread and figured it was worth far more than they first thought.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door

Return to “Corvair Talk”