110hp or 140hp

Anything Corvair related
Arclight

110hp or 140hp

Post by Arclight »

I will be buying a 65 Corvair convertible soon and see a lot of 110hp models and few 140hp models. Is there a big difference between the two? Should I hold out for a 140?
Scott V

Re: 110hp or 140hp

Post by Scott V »

theres a differance between the 140 & 110 ........the 140 has more power but the 110 is a good engine & many like the 110 better than the 140. the 110 doesnt drop valve seats as much as the 140 & w/2 less carbs some say the 110 is easier to tune & keep in tune.

you didnt say if you want a auto or stick trans & thats makes a big differance too.

-Scott V.
Arclight

Post by Arclight »

4 speed stick...I've got a Z3 2.8L and I often find myself second guessing not getting the 3.2L model. I guess 30hp wont make too much difference. I'm looking at a 110hp this weekend.
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

30 h.p. may not sound like much in the 450 h.p. V-8 world but wouldn't 30 h.p. between a 110 and a 140 be roughly a 24% increase?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

:think: I have driven 1965 and 1966 Corsas with 140 hp engines since 1969 (age 16). As newlyweds my wife and I travelled from California to Georgia in our 1965 140 hp Corsa convertible, and over the years we have travelled back and forth across the USA in 140 hp Corvairs with very little trouble and high engine reliability. At age 61 I still drive a 1966 140 hp Corsa convertible as a daily driver. We also had two 140 hp Corsas (coupe and convertible) with us in Germany in 1980-1983 and travelled all over Germany on the autobahn in those cars with no engine trouble.

That said, I must admit that we probably spend 90% of our driving time running on only the two primary carburetors, and probably would not notice much difference in our driving habits if the engine were a 110 hp two-carb unit. The bottom end of the 110 hp engine (cases, crankshaft, cylinders and pistons, camshaft, etc.) on the 110 hp and 140 hp engine are identical. The difference is in the better-breathing cylinder heads, with four carburetors (2-primary and 2-secondary with a progressive throttle linkage), larger valves in the heads, and a dual exhaust system. This all has an impact on the top end at full or nearly-full throttle.

I have never experienced a dropped valve seat, but as the engines age the 140 hp big valve heads have developed a reputation of vulnerability in that area. In fact, my current 1966 Corsa has a repair history that included one dropped valve seat that was repaired before I owned the car. The long-term fix for this vulnerability is generally thought to be having a qualified machine shop install deep valve seats to prevent the steel seats from loosening in the aluminum heads. Such a modification can be fairly pricey, but if I ever pull the heads on my Corvair I may take the plunge and make the investment in having the heads reconditioned and upgraded to include deep valve seats.

The 110 hp Corvair engine has developed a pretty-good reputation as a reliable workhorse that serves well in any Corvair. This is particularly true when it is installed in Greenbrier vans and Corvair trucks, as it tolerates heavy work demands very well. The loss in top-end power when compared to a 140 hp engine may not be that significant in normal street driving — depending on your use and driving habits.
Corvair 140 HP Cylinder Head
110 hp Cylinder heads...

==========================================================================

As you continue your search for a Corvair convertible, I would suggest making full use of obtaining advice and comments from experienced Corvair owners on the Corvair Forum. Contacting a local club chapter of CORSA (Corvair Society of America), if there is one nearby your location, can also provide you with valuable comments, advice and feedback as you continue your quest. If you provide us with your location we can possibly offer some CORSA contact information in your local area. Your personal assessment of your mechanical skills, knowledge and abilities would be helpful too. Corvairs appeal to the "shadetree DIY mechanic". Professional Corvair-qualified mechanics are often difficult to find. Parts and supplies support is very good, but almost always a mail-order proposition. A few local parts can be found — sometimes. Even local parts stores who can offer you some Corvair components may have to special order them, and will not often have what you need in-stock. Corvair repair and maintenance for the do-it-yourself hobbyist is easy to master and learn — especially with the great support from websites like the Corvair Forum and possibly from local CORSA clubs. Suppliers like Clark's Corvair Parts have been in business for over 40 years and have an excellent business reputation.

Bodywork is another issue, however. The unibody structure Corvair is difficult to repair, and often demands welding and sheet metal skills. Professional body shops can be expensive, and rust, body rot and corrosion is a serious and expensive problem to deal with. Convertibles are particularly vulnerable, and hidden rust damage can make a convertible almost unrepairable. Cars that have been driven for decades in road salt infested northern-tier states can be damaged beyond repair.

Bargain basement prices may prove not to be a bargain at all. Spending more up-front may be a wise choice — if the car is TRULY in good condition — but be cautious and careful. If you can, take the time to seek opinions on this Forum or from CORSA members, if they are available. They often know the vulnerabilities and trouble areas to watch for that might not be noticed by the enthusiastic but inexperienced prospective Corvair buyer. Good luck!

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Arclight

Post by Arclight »

Brad, I'm not far from your location I'm in Charlotte, NC. I've been researching and looking at cars for sale for about 6 months. This will be a weekend sunny day driver so I'm taking my time. I've always admired the styling of the Corvair in particular the "65". There are several around the area that are possibles and I even found a couple on the Clarks site. Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to learning a lot from you and the other members here as well.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

There are several late model Corvairs listed on the CORSA website too, including the 1965 Corsa clone (a 140 hp Monza with a Corsa instrument panel — essentially a Corsa with a Monza VIN.

You did not mention a price range or your willingness to ship or transport from another state. One car listed has apparently been well-restored and "lives" in Amarillo, Texas. The VIN indicates that it was originally built in Van Nuys, California (so was I). The asking price of $13,000 may be perfectly reasonable if the car is clean and rust-free — rust-free may be possible if it has always been in a southern climate and if it has a history of being well cared for. It is also a coupe and I don't know how set you are on a convertible.

There are currently six LM Corvairs listed, including convertibles, an air conditioned sedan, the coupe listed above, etc. Prices are all over the place, but it is something to scan through...

Anyway, the link to the CORSA LM ads is: :link: http://www.corvair.org/index.php?option ... Itemid=575

If you are interested in contacting a local CORSA chapter in North Carolina, here is a website link...

:link: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/chapter271/

Items For Sale:
1. The following cars and parts are FOR SALE by Ray Hatchell - Goldsboro, NC (919-223-0863).
Please contact Ray for more information and prices.
a. Cars:
(1) 1961 Rampside - 110 hp, PG
(2) 1962 Corvan - 110 hp, 4speed - ( Sold )
(3) 1962 Wagon - 140 hp, PG
(4) 1965 Corsa - 140 hp, 4speed
(5) 1967 Yenko Stinger - 110hp 4 speed ( Sold )
Brad Bodie
iamdtm28

Post by iamdtm28 »

I have a 65 Corsa Convertible 4 speed that I will be selling soon. It runs great I put over 100 miles a week on it. New Carbs (NEW not rebuild kit) and New Harmonic balancer, fresh tuneup.
I'm going to be putting on CL in about a week if interested pm me. Here's a Pic for Clicks
Attachments
65 Corsa
65 Corsa
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Looks like a very nice Corsa convertible. Middletown, New York? Can you provide any more details, asking price, vehicle history, etc?
NY Corsa Convertible.jpg
Brad Bodie
iamdtm28

Post by iamdtm28 »

Thanks! She sure is a looker I get thumbs up everywhere I go. It was just a quick post but here is a little more detail. The floor boards have been replaced and are now rust free. The rockers are solid no rust. A pillars are rust free the quarters and fender have filler. She is a north east car not a California queen. The interior is all new w Clarks seat covers and carpet. The paint was done about 2 years ago.
Its a 140 4/ speed with 4 new carbs from Clarks. New dual master cylinder, new harmonic balancer, and a tune up all done this session. She drives and shifts great. Every weekend I take her out for long trips to the mountains and the beach. I drive it a lot to keep everything fresh. The trips are about 100 miles each way every weekend during the summer. I have no issues on long hiway trips. The motor burns about 1 quart per 1000 miles. No smoke. The top isn't in great shape. But it is decent condition to protect from the elements. The boot is new. The wheels and tires are brand new. 205/15 and 215/15 front /back. I'm not sure if I'm going to include the wheels yet. I do have the stock wheels and choice of caps.
I'm buying a house soon and need to sell it to help with the down payment. I plan on getting another Corvair corsa in a few years but now the money is needed for a down payment. I'm asking $10,700 OBO. I'm in Staten island NY (as you can see from the photo geo tag thats about 100+ miles from home.) I plan on having detailed photos up with the ad. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Return to “Corvair Talk”