62 with oil leak around Alt bracket

Anything Corvair related
lelshaddai

62 with oil leak around Alt bracket

Post by lelshaddai »

I have a 62 with 80hp. I recently replace the gen to an alt so I needed to change the bracket. I have a very bad leak now out of the top of the engine. I was afraid to torque the bolts too much to not spin out the bolts. I used a torque wrench but not all the way. One of the bolts already feels like in has stripped out. Any thoughts on what to do to seal this better. I used a new seal but was told to not use any sealant. I usually use ultra black. If I have stripped out what is the best fix for that? :banghead:
Jim
k9ulan

Re: 62 with oil leak around Alt bracket

Post by k9ulan »

I have had a lot of luck on similar situations with "The right stuff" By permatex. Not on corvair yet, but I used some on my 63 F85 oil pan. Worked great..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 62 with oil leak around Alt bracket

Post by bbodie52 »

:wrench: Many engine components that are exposed to engine oil on one side only have to seal against oil containment or splashing on the inside. However, the underside of the oil filter and alternator adaptor is under up to 35 psi of oil pressure, which is somewhat more difficult to contain and seal against leakage. The adaptor must be properly installed and torqued to prevent leakage. The adaptor also has to support structural stresses as it provides a mounting point for the alternator, belt pulley, and fuel pump. For this reason all five bolts must be properly installed with flat washers and torqued properly to 7-13 ft. lbs. around the perimeter of the adaptor to ensure a secure and even force against the gasket to provide a proper seal. The gasket does not require any form of liquid sealant, but the mating surfaces must be clean and smooth. The five bolts should have their threads coated with anti-seize compound and they should be installed by hand to ensure that the threads are not cross-threaded. Once the adaptor is properly positioned on the new gasket and all five bolts are finger-tightened, a torque wrench must be used to torque each bolt to the specified torque.

Because of the relatively low torque specification, I prefer to use a smaller inch-pound 3/8" drive torque wrench, because it is easier to control and accurately measure the torque being applied to each bolt. (7-13 ft. lbs = 84-156 in. lbs).
(1 foot pound = 12 inch pounds).
Oil Filter and Delcotron Adaptor Installation.jpg

If it turns out that you do have one or more stripped aluminum threads, they cannot be ignored. They can be repaired using one of the following processes...

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=173

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=174
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Corvair Talk”