Crankshaft bolt

Anything Corvair related
Freejax

Crankshaft bolt

Post by Freejax »

100_3199.JPG
Hey guys I was wondering if I could have some advise on how to remove this bolt. It is on there good, I tried sticking a pipe in to it to stop it from turning and it did not turn, but it did not loosen and I did not want to break anything.
Suggestions please.
Happy Building all!
Jerry Whitt

Re: Crankshaft bolt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Block the pulley by putting a strong metal piece through the slots, turn the crank counter clock wise a bit to tighten the pulley against the stop.
Then use the proper socket (6 point) and an 18 inch breaker bar with a long pipe handle. Then turn counter clock wise. It may take some
muscle, but that is how it is done.

You could block the turning of the crank with a couple bolts in the flywheel, and a blocking piece there.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I usually have good luck with an Impact wrench if a regular long handle and socket won't get it. It is normal threads so lefty loosey. Might spray some PB blaster on it a few times over a couple days to loosen any rust if it is very stubborn.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Freejax

Post by Freejax »

Thanks guys I will try the impact tonight, i was not to sure what direction to go thanks again. I will keep you posted.
Happy Building all!
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Freejax wrote:Thanks guys I will try the impact tonight, i was not to sure what direction to go thanks again. I will keep you posted.
left...counterclockwise is loose
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Freejax

Post by Freejax »

Ok that worked like a charm, I like having the right tools and good advise. now my next question how do I get the pulley off, I do not have any pullers if I need one can you show me a picture of one so I can buy one tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Happy Building all!
Ricks65

Post by Ricks65 »

Here's a picture of the type of puller used to remove the crank pulley. The bolts will screw into the two holes in the pulley. The thing to be careful of is to not damage the threads in the end of the crank. I usually just put the bolt loosely in the end of the crank an let the center of the puller push on the bolt head.
puller.gif
puller.gif (53.13 KiB) Viewed 522 times

Return to “Corvair Talk”