I HAVE FOUND A COUPE from South Africa

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Sparovair

Re: I HAVE FOUND A COUPE from South Africa

Post by Sparovair »

Hi Henty, I would like to put in words,that I never new that my Silver old lady was so badly rusted, think I said this to you last time we spoke, I see you made a deal with the Guru Gary regarding the Golf and you now own another Corvair, you mentioned the thought of fitting a V8 motor, are you going to do restore both ? best regards,Brian ( sparovair)
'62 Corvair Monza 900
'65 Corvair 4 door Monza
'82 BMW 635 CSi
'83 Mini mark 3
'78 Volks Wagen Beetle
All for the love and compassion of CORVAIRS FOREVER
hentysnr

Re: I HAVE FOUND A COUPE from South Africa

Post by hentysnr »

Hi Brian
Trust that you are still well? Do not quite know how I missed this post of yours but then again I have not been very active on the forum for the last 18 months because of our unbelievable work load. Things have been slowing down in the office the last 2 months and I have actually had time to browse the forum and pick up on various happenings on the forum. How I chanced on this mail I do not quite know either, but anyway here I am.

Ja, man so much has happened since you posted this, the only thing that has not happened I have not been able to do ANY work on any of the Corvairs. Like I said work has been insanely busy. Man, the V8 dream is still there, but is at the moment such a pipe dream. I do not know if you know but I recently bought Gary's white '65 Coupe as it came up for sale. The man was quite cut up but he has also decided to down size. Too many projects and too little time!!

Now to answer your question, Honestly do not know if I am going to get to building a V8 out of your coupe, it would have to be a convertible as three of the pillars are rusted through as well. I have a replacement floor but need to replace the "firewall" as well. I have a rear end to replace the rear valence. Gary was quite keen to take the silver coupe but when he saw what it looked like he realized what he was up against. The way I see things at the moment I am going to rebuild the Coupe I bought from Gary. I am going to try and sell one of my '60 4dr cars to raise some money for that project. My long term goal is to find a 4dr sedan like you have to finish off my collection of Corvairs. If I can find a 4dr like yours I will have a EM 4dr and 2dr and a LM 4dr and 2dr so that is where I'm headed for. So if you hear of a LM 4dr please give me a shout please as I would be very interested.

Anyway don't stress about the silver Coupe, the purchase was as is end of story, yes I was disappointed, but I don't hold a grudge against you, my life is too short for shit like that. Stuff like that just eats away at one from the inside, so in my book that is the end of that.

How are your cars doing and how are you guys. We live in such different worlds and at such different paces. I was up there in your back yard some months ago for two days, Centurion I think its called. But man that traffic just killed any notions I had of coming to visit you. It's insane for a plaas japie like me, here in Grahamstown you can go home at 1pm have lunch and a 15min snooze and get back to work by 2pm. But as the saying goes different strokes for different folks!

Gary is in Brazil at the moment racing with the Spaniards. Gary's firm built two cars and support vehicles for them and they are out there racing literally as we speak.

Ok you guys take care out there and stay in touch,
Cheers Henty :wave:
WHY DRIVE ANYTHING ELSE THAN A CORVAIR :emfront:

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'61 4dr 700 BIG BORE 3.2lt
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”