'65 Monza project in the dry central valley CA

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Middie65

Re: '65 Monza project in the dry central valley CA

Post by Middie65 »

Good luck with rehab, love the toggle switches. Could you tell me the tire and rim sizes on vair. I have wire hubs but don't know what tire and rims I need.
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

The wheels in the pics are stock 14" steel with a 215/60 tire on them. I heard they were hard to get, but there are some alternatives. A 195/60 14" fills up the wheel well similarly, but it 1" total dia. shorter.
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan "Turbo'd" 110 SU conversion 4sp Manual'
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Don't fret over those compression numbers. Seal up the oil leaks, get it running and get some miles on it. Too many people tear down an otherwise good running engine when they think the numbers aren't good enough.

Once you get it running, see if the oil pressure is good and if all else checks out.

I alway recommend rebuilding a different engine and leave the running one in the car and drive it until it breaks or until the new engine is ready to drop in.

Too many people decide to pull a decently running engine and then get stalled on the rebuild. They loose interest because the car doesn't drive and then end up selling the car at a loss with the engine in pieces in the trunk. I know...I buy them all the time for next to nothing.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

@ Dave, yeah...I am of the same mind as you. The only reason I pulled the engine in the first place was to clean out the mouse nests, and find out what the PO did to it. Also...wanted to get an engine pull under my belt, so I wasn't afraid to do it in the future.

In doing all this...found out that the PO just Turbo'd the 110 that was in it. I wanted to see what all he did to prep the thing for a turbo. I have since learned that I want my spare 110 heads to magically turn into 95 heads. ANYONE HAVE ANY MAGIC SKILLS THAT CAN HELP ME WITH THAT? Lol!

Oh well...I wasn't complaining about the numbers...actually was pleasantly surprised. So yeah...I'm gonna clean it all up...button everything back together, and hit the road!

WML...

-m
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Okay guys...I was doing some degreasing and cleaning on the stand, and put my hand on the cam gear from the underside. I had the oil pan off...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-ONs9u2rSQo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't think that this meets factory specs. Soooooooo.....what I thought was a quick cleanup and put together and run until I get my replacement heads, has turned into a major tear down. And since I am that deep, I may as well wait and get my desired heads and machine those to work with a turbo and pump gas...without alcohol injection.

More pics to come...stay tunes

Changing my name to #learningasigo

-m
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Image I fixed your video for you, but unfortunately fixing the bad gear on your camshaft will not be so easy! :whoa: :sad5: Image

:doh: Time to split the engine cases!

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=25
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

^ Thanks Brad...yeah. After getting good compression numbers too. Well...I was gonna get a pair of 95hp heads worked up and install sometime in the future anyways. It just pushes my completion date out further, AND...allows me to get in there and do it like I want to anyways. I was always skeptical of the PO's methodology and execution anyways.

I DID uncover some forged pistons...at least THAT was done right. The intake valve on #6 has a lunched guide as well. I'm just happy to have seen this stuff before it was up to speed and caused MORE damage.

-m

Any suggestions as to whether I should keep the billet gear or go "fail safe"?
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Well...the tear down continues. Took the pushrods tubes and pushrods and valve rockers out, as well as removed the HB and oil pump cover last night. Also, got the lower shroud off the jugs, and I'm glad I did...more mouse stuff stuck underneath. It's really important to do all the shroud stuff on a car that has been sitting...especially if it has a turbo. (all cooling needed)

Wish me luck please!!! I'm in uncharted territory for myself...

-m
Attachments
image.jpg
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

It is not too bad if you stay organized and follow the shop manual, it pretty much lays out everything you need to do.

I have had bad luck with machine shops for doing Corvair work. Head gasket seats cut at an angle at one place, jugs sized to maximum V8 watercooled piston clearance (like 8-10 thousandths of an inch...rings rotated and piston scored)at another place (offered the guy the specs when I dropped off the work...sigh). Be careful in your selection for machine/head work, MAKE SURE they really know what to do with Corvair stuff. I now know one place I trust here in Atlanta thank goodness.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wrench: If you haven't removed the heads yet, that upper row of nuts that hold the head in place can cause some problems. Unlike the lower row, the upper row are exposed to weather, heat, rust and corrosion for years. The metal can soften, and the nuts can fight their removal. If you have to cut or chisel them off they are difficult to get to under the intake manifold. Some of the tips below may help...

Removing Corvair Cylinder Heads
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=4063

NEW MECHANICS: Engine Rebuilding & Maintenance Tips
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=4064

Good luck with your rebuild and keep on postin'! :tu:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

^ GREAT LINKS BRAD!!! Thanks, those are gonn come in handy.
Hey...at least my mind is settled on one issue, the Dizzy! It's the correct one for a turbo. That had me concerned, since this beasty is a "Turbo'd" 110 motor.
Attachments
image.jpg
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Okay...finally got time to split the case this morning. Looky what I found!!!
Cam gear was one whole key width off...
Cam gear was one whole key width off...
Its a wonder the thing even started and ran when i picked it up. The PO must have REALLY had the timing tweaked out. Las time i spoke to him, he said: "Dont worry about splitting the case..." I am here to attest...those with ears, let them hear: NEVER TRUST A PREVIOUS OWNER, UNLESS YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THEIR WORK HABITS AND HAVE SEEN THEIR WORK PERFORM!!!!
Homemade alloy woodruff key...TOO SHORT!!!
Homemade alloy woodruff key...TOO SHORT!!!
Are these bolts stretched???
Are these bolts stretched???
At least the pistons are good ones...
At least the pistons are good ones...
I have my work cut out for me. A "turbo'd" 110 needs to have a few parts exchanged before she is ready for prime time. I have a laundry list of things to buy and many days of work to devote.

Stay tuned, and happy motoring...

-m
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Well...work continues. I am learning more and more about the history of this car. Only because I am taking it down to brass tacks. Got the case split and of course cam is worn and needs replacing, as well as needing a new cam gear. Got my donated heads cleaned and removed the valve seats. Next is doing some welding on the seat pockets. Porting and polishing the exhaust, and welding on the CC area and head gasket area, then off to the machine shop. The crank just needs a bit of polishing, despite the gouge in one of the middle bearings. The cam journals are in good shape...just a little pit in one of the centers. A bit of steel I picked out of the area might have been what was gouging my crank bearing earlier. Prolly material from the original pistons, that undoubtedly were beat to smithereens by the pinging that this beast was doing. Anyways...just an update for everyone. I am rapidly becoming an in depth Corvair Mechanic. ..
Attachments
90-1.jpg
102-1.jpg
113-1.jpg
115-1.jpg
114-1.jpg
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

viewmaster wrote:Any suggestions as to whether I should keep the billet gear or go "fail safe"?
id go w/a fail safe gear. they are billet & the shrink ring holds the gear real tight on the cam.

-Scott V.
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Thanks for the confirmation Scott. I was figuring on that one...any experience with Clark's TB -20 cam? Also...does Clark's do a good job installing cam gears?
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Hey guys...I spent a little time in the shop today. I noticed that i have knurled valve guides in my donated heads. Doing a little porting, then gonna do some welding in the seat pockets and the head gasket area...as well as rebuild some pitted ares on the squish.

The question I have is what process should be done first? Porting, Guides, Seats, or Welding? I WILL be doing new seats and guides none the less...

Thanks for the help...i am just jumping right in and gonna make a go of it.
Attachments
Exhaust on one cyl. ported...
Exhaust on one cyl. ported...
Before porting. Notice knurled guides...
Before porting. Notice knurled guides...
notice the ridge on the guide boss area...
notice the ridge on the guide boss area...
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”