Seat belts

All Models and Years
Ira

Seat belts

Post by Ira »

Okay so as I've been advertising; the coupe will be daily driven.

I've got two girls who would ride in the back and require real belts.

In addition shoulder harnesses up front would be cool as well.

Whatever I end up using though, needs to not look like crap once it's installed.

Ideas?

IRa :chevy:
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Seat belts

Post by Scott H »

I saw a drawing awhile ago, I'm pretty sure I saved it lemme go look.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Found it, I think?

well sorta, its convertible shoulder straps and belts. Maybe it will help some.

Seat Belt install Late model
Attachments
lmseatbeltinstallp1.pdf
(179.63 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
lmseatbeltinstallp2.pdf
(162.58 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
persh

Post by persh »

Van Pershing
My Website
C.O.R.S.A.
Tucosn Corvair Association
Tucson, Arizona
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

persh wrote:Here's what I did. http://www.persh.org/Corvairs/seatbelts.htm
Nearly indentical to how I have done 3 point front belts on late models , except I have always been painting the car anyway so I weld in the anchor. When using a retractable belt I often weld a new anchor in the inner rocker panel as well, as far back as possible to allow for easier rear seat access.

Your car could have the shoulder harness anchors already in place assuming it is the 66 CORSA. 65's do not have them and as far as I know early production 66's may not either. Certainly some late production 66's have them as I have used some.

The slick way to do the rear anchors if needed (your car should have them) is find a junk and get the reinforcement plates out of the floor. This junk could be a later Corvair or other GM, or even maybe a Honda. Most cars use a formed steel reinforcement plate at each anchor point. Cutting some of these from a junk and then welding them into the Vair makes a clean safe anchor point install (get the seatbelt mounting bolt while your at it, thread sizes may vary).

Nice seatbelts can be had from numerous sources. I have used Juliano's Interior Products
http://www.julianos.com and have been happy with the service and products
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Ira

Post by Ira »

Well... it's been over a month since I originally posted that.... and in that month I've done some research.

I've decided to kick it retro with a set of four- three point non retractable harnesses from Wesco Performance.

So far I haven't been able to dig up any dirt on Wesco, which is good, so unless anyone has a reason... I'll give them a shot.

I'm going with non retractables to save on weight (I know, I know... it sounds silly but I'm not putting a stereo in it for the same reasons) and the style is a throwback to the mid 60s and early 70s.

As far as mounting is concerned, I've got plans for custom mounts in the rear... the fronts are a no brainer.

Today is supposed to be 78 and tomorrow is supposed to be near 80... so I should be able to get a whole bunch of stuff done on the coupe this weekend!

Once again thanks for the help guys!

Ira :chevy:
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

The biggest problem with the non-retractable harnesses is that when adjusted properly, you can't reach stuff on the dash (I have them on my '73 Nova and '69 Corvair).
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
Ira

Post by Ira »

Yeah...

Our Alfetta GT was originally a race car back in the day.... so I can attest that a four point harness is much worse :angry: .

In this case it shouldn't be much of a problem based on where I'll have my seat positioned.

But yeah.... I'm with you.

IRa :chevy:
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

I'm planning to use the Schroth Autocontrol harnesses in my '65 restomod. It has a lockable intertia reel. Interestingly, my objective for the restomod is a GT car in the spirit of the GTV.

The '73 Nova and '69 Vair have the factory standard separate harness belt which is a pain to buckle as well as wear.
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
Ira

Post by Ira »

So when you say GTV.... I'm assuming that you're not referring to a GTV-6.... but an early GTV... say 1969ish?

I would love to own one but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Yeah.... the GTVs were the ultimate saloon car back in the day. People forget that prior to being owned by FIAT... Alfa had no problem winning races. Unfortunately Alfa is now overshadowed by Ferrari and Maserati.... for whatever reason.... Fiat wants it that way. Now most of the Alfa stable is dominated by front wheel drive models.... and I promise I will never own a vehicle that drags itself around by its front axles. ::-):

Ira :chevy:
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

Yes, early GTV.
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
stinson108.3

Post by stinson108.3 »

HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH SHOULDER HARNESS'S IN THE BACK SEAT? ALSO WHAT ABOUT HAVING A PAIR ON A BENCH SEAT?
Wife and kids or a Porsche??? Well I got a corvair and the family... best of both worlds!!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”