You AIN'T gonna believe THIS ONE...

Anything Corvair related
terribleted

Re: You AIN'T gonna believe THIS ONE...

Post by terribleted »

I would be surprised if the metal is not slightly deformed from that (minor crease). tis not bad anyway. Going to have to paint the door and possibly the fender for blend for color match.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Skrain

Post by Skrain »

Well, as I said, the car actually has a "15 Foot" paint job now, so I'm not going to get TOO picky about it. Eventually, in a couple of years perhaps, I will have the whole thing stripped, refinished, and repainted.
I might just have the Rocker Panel type rallye stripes applied in the meantime. I just don't have the money for a full paint job at this time. There are a couple of irregular spots on the rear fenders, and some minor bubbling on the trunk, but it's not horrible. Sure, I'd LOVE for it to have a factory quality paint job, and when I get it repainted, I will have that done. There are some shops that do classic car restoration and paint jobs in the Louisville area, as well as some in Tennessee, and even near Indy, so I do have options.
1964 Monza Spyder Turbo Convertible.
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 Pickup
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Fill it in, prime it and smooth it. Buy the vinyl stripes first and note positioning that will cover your sins, stay below the top of the stripe to be added. Go to auto paint store get some lacquer in your color if possible, if not get an acrylic enamel or single stage urethane if need be. Get any thinners and hardeners needed for the paint. Buy a Preval sprayer and mix the paint to spray thru it. Mask a line and paint below it. Put stripe over paint edge when dry and do not waste any more money now. Save it for the real thing down the road.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

Skrain

Post by Skrain »

I'll more then likely get a quick repair by a local body shop, since I live in an environment that is NOT conducive to spray Painting, (too dusty and NO enclosed garage)
and then have the graphics shop do the stripes.
By the way, how are the fender emblems attached? Is there a clip behind the sheet metal that the shafts on the back of the emblems push into, or a socket, or what?
Just in case I want to pull the emblems before I take it to get fixed, I don't want to break them, and I want to be able to reinstall them fairly easily.
1964 Monza Spyder Turbo Convertible.
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 Pickup
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Your car should be push in barrel clips for the fender emblems, but, I have seen emblems mounted with barrel clips or nuts from the inside thru the kick panel vents, or even combinations of same. You will have to inspect closely and remove accordingly. Use a wood paint mixing stick or 2 and maybe a rag also to support whatever tool you are prying with (assuming barrel clips) to protect the paint. It is possible to dent the car around an emblem stud trying to remove it so take care and work a little at a time on each stud. Try both sides of a stud to try to ease it out. Even removal is your friend to help avoid paint/body damage.

viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

AndyF wrote:you gotta love the digital age :tongue:

http://www.andysautosport.com/radiator_ ... rvair.html

Andy
^ LOL!!! :rolling:

At least in Kentucky, you may be able to actually use paint products that have solvents that can cut and blend on their own. Here in Commiefornia, we have to use all water based stuff. It makes for whole panels painted or finding a small place to make a seam.
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan "Turbo'd" 110 SU conversion 4sp Manual'

Return to “Corvair Talk”