how 2 remove 1964 monza cluster

All Models and Years
curvesman

how 2 remove 1964 monza cluster

Post by curvesman »

I have to replace my speedometer the needle broke off after bouncing off 100 a few times( I was doing about 35) and making an loud screaching noise. I picked up a used cluster auto like my 1964 and removed the heater controls took out the 2 bottom screws and that is far as I got is there more screws on top of the cluster and how to reach them if so? I can not bend and see like I used to. :banghead: I think I may have to remove the seat and get more room to work and streach my neck more.Thanks in advance for any advice!!
classicchevyowner7

Re: how 2 remove 1964 monza cluster

Post by classicchevyowner7 »

I'm no expert, but I have taken my cluster out of my 61. One thing that kept my cluster in while I was pulling was wires from the gauges and the bulbs. Make sure those are all disconnected.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
- Allen
wingnutandme
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by wingnutandme »

The other six screws are out in the open. There is a hood that the cluster is mounted to. Look just under the eyebrow of the dash. I don't know any other way to describe it. The six screws start at 9:00 and go around to 3:00. The hood is painted dash color. That is in addition to the two that you accessed from underneath.

You will also need to loosen the two bolts that hold the steering column up. If you don't lower the column a little, you will scratch the paint. Trust me on that.
61 Rampside
Ultra Van #328
CORSA, Corvanatics, UVMCC, VCE
Corvanatics Secretary/Treasurer/Newsletter Editor
UVMCC Newsletter Editor
Cosworth & a Vega Kammback
80 TR7 Vert
classicchevyowner7

Post by classicchevyowner7 »

Yes. Watch the paint. Scratched the paint on my steering column when I took it out.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
- Allen
curvesman

Post by curvesman »

wingnutandme wrote:The other six screws are out in the open. There is a hood that the cluster is mounted to. Look just under the eyebrow of the dash. I don't know any other way to describe it. The six screws start at 9:00 and go around to 3:00. The hood is painted dash color. That is in addition to the two that you accessed from underneath.

You will also need to loosen the two bolts that hold the steering column up. If you don't lower the column a little, you will scratch the paint. Trust me on that.

Thanks, I had no idea they were there will continue today!!Thanks to all!
PS You guys are the BEST!! :tu:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”