VOTE- Corvair of the Month March 2014

Calendar page and Gift Certificate to the winner...and of course, BRAGGING RIGHTS!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Online People's Choice Corvair Show - Corvair of the Month.

To enter your vehicle, Reply to the current Corvair of the Month thread, include at least one high quality photo and some info on your entry (year, model, specs, etc). Each show will be limited to the first ten vehicles posted for that month. The voting will begin as soon as ten vehicles are entered or on the 1st of the month, whichever comes first. Please only post vehicles you own and only one per month. Vehicles must be Corvair or Corvair powered. If you win, please do not post the same vehicle in another month during that calendar year. If you won in a previous year you may enter again. The shows will run each month from January through September. In October we will run the "Corvair of the Year" contests. One for all vehicles 1960-1964 and a second for all 1965-1969 vehicles. In November we will have available a Calendar of all of the winners. Please note that by posting pictures in this forum you give corvairforum.com and it's owners the right to use your picture(s) in the calender and website. In order to Vote for your favorite Corvair you will have to have posted at least three times in any forum. In the event of a tie, the vehicle entered first will be the winner.

Vote for Corvair of the Month March 2014

Poll ended at Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:17 am

Monza64Gold
4%
bill pierson
14%
bigfatdaddy
12%
TheHillsOfSlandro
4%
Cymar
4%
gojoe283
No votes
Skrain
4%
Kayvair
33%
azdave
22%
ROD
2%

Total votes: 49

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: VOTE- Corvair of the Month March 2014

Post by bbodie52 »

Transition...
tran·si·tion
tranˈziSHən,-ˈsiSHən/
noun
the process or a period of changing from one state or condition to another.
synonyms: change, passage, move, transformation, conversion, metamorphosis, alteration, handover, changeover
a passage in a piece of writing that smoothly connects two topics or sections to each other.

verb
undergo or cause to undergo a process or period of transition.

Left-click on the image below to enlarge
1963 Monza Time Capsule (3) - Ki Hansen.jpg
I saw the family photo (above) on Facebook, and I thought it depicted — along with the later Corvair photos — why I was inspired to vote for this Corvair family for Corvair of the Month. The car is beautiful and seemingly timeless in its all-original appearance. And the family photos remind me of my own experiences as a child and as a teen as my parents and their Corvairs influenced me as I transitioned from a bicycle to learning to drive and maintain a Corvair... an influence that remains decades later. These pictures, and the family's story, to me make this a Corvair of the Month story that represents how these cars often influence generations!

Left-click on the image below to enlarge
1963 Monza Time Capsule (Corvair Forum) - Ki Hansen.jpg
The 1963 Corvair is from the Kennedy era, and these pictures remind me of Kennedy's words...
John F. Kennedy — in his Inaugural Address wrote:Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans..
There are ten great entries this month, which makes the choice very difficult for the voters.

Good luck to Kaylee and her family! :runwoohoo: :tu: :thumbup: :funnypost:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Am-Iron »

Wow! One of the largest groups of cars yet! I better get some nice pics of my car if I ever plan to enter again. Great cars and cool pictures!
Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cymar

Post by Cymar »

Good luck to everyone !
gpracer89

Post by gpracer89 »

Gon AZ Dave! Love that white 4 door!!!
Kayvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Kayvair »

Brad, Thanks man, that was a surprise to go to page two and see a picture of Me, Kaylee and my younger daughter Sarah on a bike ride just months ago, its amazing what can just transpire in a short amount of time, that evening we went for this bike ride I wasn't even thinking, cars, Corvairs or even tomorrow. It's amazing how fast our children grow. It's so cliché to say "They grow so fast" but ya its true. Win or lose this month We are really glad to have crossed paths with some really cool people here and all over that have such a passion for these cars. Ki
Last edited by Kayvair on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I was a little nervous about snagging your family photo to use here on the Corvair Forum, but I guess you see what I was reading into the scene there. My wife and sons used to do a lot of bicycle riding together as a family in Camarillo, California and later in Austin, Texas, and then as they hit driving age they naturally transitioned into driver's training and cars over bicycles. I went through a similar experience in the 1960s with my constant use of a bicycle to ride all over the San Jose and Santa Clara county areas, and then spending my summer vacation in 1969 learning to rebuild a Corvair engine in my 1963 Corvair 500, and learning to drive in my parent's 1965 Corsa convertible. At age 61 our child-rearing days are in the past, and the granddaughters are still in single digits and too young for Corvairs yet. ::-): But I must say I envy you and your relationship with Kaylee and her new Corvair.
Brad Bodie
Kayvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Kayvair »

bbodie52 wrote:I was a little nervous about snagging your family photo to use here on the Corvair Forum, but I guess you see what I was reading into the scene there. My wife and sons used to do a lot of bicycle riding together as a family in Camarillo, California and later in Austin, Texas, and then as they hit driving age they naturally transitioned into driver's training and cars over bicycles. I went through a similar experience in the 1960s with my constant use of a bicycle to ride all over the San Jose and Santa Clara county areas, and then spending my summer vacation in 1969 learning to rebuild a Corvair engine in my 1963 Corvair 500, and learning to drive in my parent's 1965 Corsa convertible. At age 61 our child-rearing days are in the past, and the granddaughters are still in single digits and too young for Corvairs yet. ::-): But I must say I envy you and your relationship with Kaylee and her new Corvair.
Thanks Brad, Just passing the automotive passion along like my father to me and I to my daughter, Thanks !
mercman

Post by mercman »

I really like back up light deletes on LMs!! :tu:
65 Monza 110 pg artesian turquoise
65 Monza 110 pg convertible Danube blue

Lehigh Valley Corvair Club
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Historical Perspective...
I still think it is amazing how similar this 1963 Monza coupe is to the gift that Elvis Presley gave as a graduation present to Priscilla Presley back in 1963. Elvis Presley gave it to her on April 1st in 1963... the 51st anniversary of that occasion comes up shortly!
:link: http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Secret-File ... 1854700391

Priscilla Presley posing with her graduation gift from Elvis, a 1963 red Corvair.
Priscilla's Graduation
Priscilla's graduation was drawing closer, all the hard yards where done and now for her rewards.

Her hours of study and sleepless nights were to become just a memory.

Priscilla didn't expect Elvis to show much interest in her big day, as his attitude towards graduating and receiving a diploma was not as important to him as life's experiences.

But much to Priscilla's shock, it turned out Elvis was quite excited and looking forward to her big day. Elvis organized a party for after the graduation inviting many of their friends, then handing Priscilla the keys of her very first car, which was a red Corvair.
See also: Child Bride: The Untold Story of Priscilla Beaulieu Presley
:link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JHYK4M/?ta ... resle02-20

Elvis and Priscilla
:link: http://pinterest.com/sebastianannie/elv ... priscilla/
Elvis Presley Timeline: 1963 wrote:A historical Elvis Presley timeline of dates and important events

January 7: Fearing overexposure (but mainly because it doesn't pay anything), Colonel Tom Parker turns down a TV guest star spot for Elvis to promote his next film.
January 11: Although Elvis and Priscilla both plead with her parents to let her stay in Memphis, she is ordered on a plane back to Germany.
January 28: Filming begins in Hollywood for Elvis' 13th film, Fun In Acapulco. None of the film is shot on location in Acapulco.
March 1: Filming begins in Hollywood for Elvis' 13th film, Fun In Acapulco. None of the film is shot on location in Acapulco. Elvis complains about his wardrobe, specifically a short-sleeved shirt that he found in bad taste. Body double shots ensure that the shirt must be used, however.
March 2: After begging him to return to Memphis, Priscilla Beaulieu and her stepfather Paul fly to Los Angeles to discuss the possibility of Priscilla completing her schooling near Elvis. An eventual deal is reached where she attends the rest of her senior year at Memphis' Immaculate Conception High School while living in the nearby home of Elvis' father, Vernon.
March 13: Shooting ends on Fun In Acapulco, with the Colonel throwing a cast party that evening to celebrate. The next day, publicity still s are taken and Elvis is allowed to keep three pieces of wardrobe he did enjoy -- two black silk shirts and a flamenco outfit.
April 1: Back in Memphis, Elvis buys Priscilla her first car, a bright red 1963 Corvair with which to commute to school.
April 15: Perhaps in preparation for Priscilla's eventual residence there, Elvis has several modifications made to Graceland -- new front and back porches, eighteen trees around the grounds, a new coat of paint, and burglar-proof iron bars.
April 24: Elvis purchases about 30 books from the local "Readin' & Ritin" bookstore, including an atlas, a trail guide, several schoolbooks, East of Eden, and a dirty joke book entitled Jokes For The John.
May 29: With Pris fearing a riot, Elvis stays away from her graduation ceremony at Immaculate Conception, although he does drive her home.
July 4: The annual Graceland fireworks show is held, a private affair. As usual, Elvis and the "Memphis Mafia" end the night with a fireworks fight on the grounds.
July 9: Elvis begins filming his 15th movie, Viva Las Vegas, in Hollywood.
July 14: Elvis and his entourage travel to Vegas and check into the Sahara Hotel, where the singer will begin location shooting the next day.
July 27: Having finished location shooting, Presley returns to L.A. -- with co-star Ann-Margret in tow.
August 6: The Memphis papers get wind of the Presley-Margret pairing and speculate wildly about romance. Priscilla discovers the rumors in the morning paper.
August 15: With film costs for Viva Las Vegas skyrocketing, Colonel Parker lines up an MGM producer for Elvis' next movie: Sam Katzman, known in Hollywood as the "King of the Quickies." He will produce the singer's 14th movie (released out of sequence), Kissin' Cousins.
September 11: Filming is finally completed on Viva Las Vegas.
September 23: Back in Memphis, Elvis rents an entire local theater, the Memphian, so he and his entourage can watch movies in peace. It will become a longstanding procedure for the King when in his hometown. The first film he watches today is Hootenanny Hoot, which featured much of the same creative minds behind his next film.
September 29: A bad cold prevents Elvis from recording today. Backing tracks are laid down instead.
October 13: Elvis begins location filming in the mountains of Big Bear, CA, for Kissin' Cousins.
October 17: Presley receives an honorary 2nd-degree black belt in karate (mainly for his promotion of the art). The card will stay in Presley's wallet for the rest of his life.
November 5: Filming of Kissin' Cousins concludes.
November 6: Unable to stand the constant public gossip about Elvis and Ann-Margret, Priscilla flies to Los Angeles to join him.
November 8: Having heard Priscilla was with Elvis, and attempting to beat her to the altar, Ann is quoted in the L.A. press as being "in love" with Elvis and ruminating marriage with him. Priscilla, on the Colonel's advice, is sent back to Memphis to avoid controversy (but not before Pris throws a vase across the room, screaming that the expatriate Ann should "keep her ass in Sweden where she belongs").
November 14: After completing publicity stills for his latest film, Elvis is released by MGM -- yet he stays in Los Angeles with Ann.
November 22: At his home away from home on Perugia Way in L.A., Elvis and Ann watch the news of President Kennedy's death on television.
December 10: Vegas producer Hal Wallis is very distressed at the way Elvis looks in the final product, writing the Colonel to tell him that he seems "soft, fat, and jowly around the face." Among other remedies, a new hairdresser is scouted out for his next film, Roustabout.
December 17: Elvis presents the mayor of Memphis with a check for $55,000 to be split among 58 local charities. On this date, RCA also extends Presley's recording contract to the end of 1971.
December 23: With Elvis having admitted to the Margret affair, and with all things apparently forgiven, Priscilla spends Christmas with Elvis at Graceland. However, she would later claim she could never fully trust him again.
:link: http://oldies.about.com/od/elvispresley ... ne1963.htm

:BradBodie:
Here is some additional material from the Sept. 9, 1985 issue of NEWSWEEK, including color photographs that indicate some color variations that are different from Kaylee's Corvair...

Brad Bodie
Kayvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Kayvair »

Kaylee Drove us to dinner the other night for the first time in her Corvair, proud Dad moment for sure !
Attachments
IMAG0693 (1).jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Congratulations to Kaylee and her father on their Corvair of the Month win!

There was a lot of worthy competition, and a significant number of votes cast. But at the end of the day a beautiful Corvair, a great family story and Kaylee's beautiful smile won the day!

I had a feeling you would be a winner the first time I saw that picture on Facebook with Kaylee standing proudly next to that great 1963 Corvair! I hope we continue to hear from you from time to time. Your Corvair would look great with a Corvair Forum Corvair of the Month 1ST PLACE custom license plate. I believe in California you cannot put it on the front of the car because of the front and rear license plates, but maybe you can place it on display in the rear window.

And who knows... maybe Corvair of the Year at the end of 2014? :dontknow: Either way, the pictures will look great on the 2015 Corvair Forum calendar!!
COTM - 1963 Monza Time Capsule (Corvair Forum) - Ki Hansen.jpg
Image :thewave: :funnypost:
Brad Bodie
Kayvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Kayvair »

Wow, I got up this morning to check the voting and we Won !!! Thanks everybody that voted for us and thanks to the other Corvairs we were up against this month, it was fun doing this and keeping the family up to date with the polls !!! We will definitely run the plate on the front when we show the car !! Wait a minute this isn't an April Fools joke is it !!!! :eek: :Love it: Thanks, Ki and Kaylee and Family
72BBNova
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 72BBNova »

Congrats on the win Kaylee. :tu: :tu: Beautiful car. The EM coupes are out in force. Jeff
Jeff
1964 Spyder coupe
1966 Corsa convertible (project, some assembly required)
1972 Nova 496/6spd
1975 Chevy Cheyenne 454 C20 camper special
Kayvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Kayvair »

72BBNova wrote:Congrats on the win Kaylee. :tu: :tu: Beautiful car. The EM coupes are out in force. Jeff
Thanks Jeff !!
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

:clap: Congratulations KAYVAIR, I am just checking in to see where the votes went,,, good job lots of tough cars each month , see ya in the calendar... good going there ! :tu: :tu: :oldtimer: :CGebay: :confused: CG
Kayvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Kayvair »

Crazy George wrote: :clap: Congratulations KAYVAIR, I am just checking in to see where the votes went,,, good job lots of tough cars each month , see ya in the calendar... good going there ! :tu: :tu: :oldtimer: :CGebay: :confused: CG
Thanks George !

Return to “Corvair of the Month Calendar Page (Sponsored by Clark's Corvair Parts)”