Which Performance Mods?

All Models and Years
ABTX Winter Texan
Location: Coaldale, Alberta (Summers) Mission, Texas ( Winters)

Which Performance Mods?

Post by ABTX Winter Texan »

I am a Canadian "snowbird", approaching my 70th birthday and now spending my winters in Mission, TX. My wife and I have been full time travellers for over 20 years, so it is only in the last year, since we bought a manufactured home in Alberta for a summer residence, (eventually full time), and parked our fifth wheel travel trailer permanently in an RV park in Mission as our winter home, that I have been able to look at realizing a long time ambition to own a vintage sports car as a daily driver.

In my early life, I was a sports car racer first and then, with my wife as my co-driver. a rallyist in regional, national and international level "stage" rallies for over 10 years,. My daily drivers, and my wife's, were almost always sports cars or GTs, most with performance upgrades.

I started my vintage sports car research considering a Triumph Spitfire 1500, as a Spitfire was my first new car in my youth and that which led me into racing. I gradually broadened my list of alternatives, finally arriving at Corvairs, with the '65 and '66 Corsa convertibles being of particular interest, with the '66 being preferred. I have concluded that, while not a true "sports car", a Corvair with the right original equipment and some selected performance upgrades will definitely qualify as a proper Grand Touring (GT) automobile.

The more I researched late model Corvairs, the more I came to like this possibility. My wife finds the aspect of of being able to take another couple with us in the car very appealing. I have concluded, from my research, that a Corsa convertible, 140hp version with the 4 speed trans, can, with some performance upgrades, have speed and handling to match or exceed any of the 2 seater Triumph TRs, MGs, Fiat 124 Spiders, Sunbeam Alpines, et al, on my prospects list.

My age and some physical limitations resulting from past injuries , combined with not presently having a garage either in Alberta or Texas, means I am not in aposition to carry out any major work myself so it is my intention to purchase a well restored "driver" example and then havie any desired performance upgrades done by a professional or professionals.

With respect to performance upgrades, I would appreciate members' recommendations for the following:

1. 140hp Engine: Which engine component upgrades to increase the net HP and torque to, say, the published gross ratings or better while improving reliability at the same time? Engine upgrades that I find appealing are Electronic Ignition and Electronic Fuel Injection, so hopefully, those will fit with your recommendations.
2. Transmission: I have found information on a T-5 5 speed transmission modified for the Corvair but keep running into dead ends trying to locate a current supplier. If this information, or an alternative 5 speed application is available, I would appreciate information on both.
3. Differential: Which gear ratio with limited slip will provide the best balance between acceleration and top speed
4. Steering & Suspension: My research so far has determined there are a number of approaches to improving the handling of a Corvair, including "kits" and individual component combinations. I would like opinions as to the optimum modifications for steering and suspension to include wider wheels in 14" or 15" diameter with wider tires having a comparable rolling circumference to the OE.
5. Brakes: It would seem that the general consensus is that the stock drum brakes, with possibly a dual master cylinder system added, are quite adequate. However, with my motorsport background, I am strong believer in 4 wheel disc brakes and would like to look at that possibility for my Corvair.
6. Mild Custom Exterior Add-Ons e.g. Air dam, rear spoiler, remote control side aero mirrors ....
7. Interior Modifications Sport recliner bucket front seats w/ center console together with rear seat re-cover, all in matching leather, sport steering wheel, etc. etc.

With my history in motorsports I do understand the old adage, "speed costs, how fast etc....?" but would like to keep all the upgrades and improvements within a budget that does not require a mortgage to carry out the work

Any and all input will be most helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks

Gord
Last edited by ABTX Winter Texan on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2005 Safari Trek 28RB2 Motorhome w/ 2014 Fiat 500c Abarth Cabrio "Toad"/Daily Driver
2014 JIMGLO Aluminum 17'+ Tilt Bed Car Trailer w/ Front Deck Extended 18in for Mobility Scooter
Looking for Nicely Restored Corvair Convertible, 140hp, 4 speed
AndyF

Re: Which Performance Mods?

Post by AndyF »

I'm almost certain many would chime in to address your questions...meanwhile you may wish to obtain a copy of:

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Corva ... 931128227/

Seth is a very knowledgeable fellow (when it comes to corvairs) and one of the friendliest folks in the aircooled community ::-):

Regards,

Andy
USAF_vair

Post by USAF_vair »

well I have a 140 hp engine with fuel injection and lots of engine mods that make my LM fun to drive. 4 speed and 3.27 rear end with tall rear tires to make interstate speeds comfortable and great fuel economy.. the car is great to drive as it has power to accelerate once rolling but to go from a stop it is temperamental. my brother has a corvair with fuel injection and turbo but with 3.55 gears and smaller rear tires. he suffers top speed but gains sport driving.

for what your looking for, the engine can make good power with a mild cam upgrade and electronic ignition and the installation of a electric fuel pump to prevent vapor locking on a daily driver.

rear gears are really the idea of what you want for looks with the cars stance. I like rear end up which means big tires my brother liked it slammed and low so smaller tires or one has to look at suspension mods.

the brake mods your looking at is achievable and one that I have done as well. both of our cars we autocross and both only have front disk brakes. I really think that is all one needs for a crossover car that will be street and track fun.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

ABTX Winter Texan wrote:140hp Engine: Which engine component upgrades to increase the net HP and torque to, say, the published gross ratings or better while improving reliability at the same time? Engine upgrades that I find appealing are Electronic Ignition and Electronic Fuel Injection, so hopefully, those will fit with your recommendations.

Corvair-EFI.com
Corvair TBI Fuel Injection
Brown Injection Systems, LLC, Designs by Ted Brown

:link: http://corvair-efi.com/

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.c ... ry=fuelinj
ABTX Winter Texan wrote:...Transmission: I have found information on a T-5 5 speed transmission modified for the Corvair but keep running into dead ends trying to locate a current supplier. If this information, or an alternative 5 speed application is available, I would appreciate information on both.

The five-speed transmission kit is listed on the Clark's Corvair Parts online catalog, page 128, but it shows it as "discontinued due to escalating prices".

Here is the website for the five-speed transmission for Corvair...

AMERICAN BOXER R&D, LLC
Corvair Performance Parts Engineering

:link: http://aboxer.tripod.com/
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

ABTX Winter Texan wrote: 1. 140hp Engine: Which engine component upgrades to increase the net HP and torque to, say, the published gross ratings or better while improving reliability at the same time? Engine upgrades that I find appealing are Electronic Ignition and Electronic Fuel Injection, so hopefully, those will fit with your recommendations.
when you are all done - thats going to be a fun car.

take a look @ http://www.american-pi.com/corvair/corvhome.html they build engines/cars just like you are looking for & could prob get you some good info.

-Scott V.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

How much do you want to spend ?

Most basic hot rodding stuff applies to Corvairs . Increase the displacement , use a cam that increases the rpm limit ,

3.55 is likely the best overall choice for gears .

Drum brakes -- get real , disk brakes are the only way to go if you are driving on the same roads as the modern cars with disks .

EFI Vs carbs seems to be a never ending argument . I am old school and use a pair of Weber 3 barrel carbs . ::-):

You may never find a five speed . Just get used to 4 gears . The Corvair engine loves to spin .

Corvair suspension is very good and good shocks with stiff enough springs is probably all you need for most driving .

A quick ratio steering box is bound to improve the steering over the stock 5 turns L to L .

Increasing the CID to 190 will likely give you all the torque that you'll want for less money than all that fancy modern Tom - Foolery :eek:

My car ---

Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
ABTX Winter Texan
Location: Coaldale, Alberta (Summers) Mission, Texas ( Winters)

Post by ABTX Winter Texan »

We omitted the following which must be considered in the overall budget and we have added them to the original post:

Modifications for Steering and Suspension to include wider wheels in 14" or 15" diameter with wider tires having a comparable rolling circumference to the OE.

6. Mild Custom Exterior Add-Ons e.g. Air dam, rear spoiler, remote control side aero mirrors ....
7. Interior Modifications Sport recliner bucket front seats w/ center console together with rear seat re-cover, all in matching leather, sport steering wheel, etc. etc.
2005 Safari Trek 28RB2 Motorhome w/ 2014 Fiat 500c Abarth Cabrio "Toad"/Daily Driver
2014 JIMGLO Aluminum 17'+ Tilt Bed Car Trailer w/ Front Deck Extended 18in for Mobility Scooter
Looking for Nicely Restored Corvair Convertible, 140hp, 4 speed
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: ::-): :idea: For your consideration...
ABTX Winter Texan wrote:...Modifications for Steering and Suspension to include wider wheels in 14" or 15" diameter with wider tires having a comparable rolling circumference to the OE...
SELECTING CUSTOM WHEELS AND TIRES FOR YOUR CORVAIR

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6066

Steering wheels, columns, and boxes
:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/steering.html

ImageImage
:link: http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/p ... 11/FR1542Q
CORVAIR STEERING BOX - 16:1 QUICK RATIO
Flaming River Corvair Fast-Ratio Steering Box.jpg
Flaming River Corvair Fast-Ratio Steering Box.jpg (18.33 KiB) Viewed 6308 times
All new steering box manufactured from steel for strength with quick ratio (4 1/2 turns lock-to-lock) for Corvair and autocross applications. Heavy duty internal needle bearing design for longer life and smoother performance.

Don't forget the shaft kit!!
ABTX Winter Texan wrote:...Mild Custom Exterior Add-Ons e.g. Air dam...
:link: http://www.mulhollanddr.com/Mulholland_Drive/HOME.html
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”