Lord's of the Car Hoards Corvair episode backstory

Anything Corvair related
Nickshu

Re: Lord's of the Car Hoards Corvair episode backstory

Post by Nickshu »

Bobsmyuncle wrote:

These are among the best performing and affordable vintage cars going. What was the Poor Man's Porsche, STILL IS. Have you been watching the prices of early 911s lately? There is a bubble that won't seem to pop. In fact, that very same bubble was the last star to align bringing me to acknowledge my long time interest in the Corvair. I'm an upper middle class earner, and I've been completely priced out of the 911 and even 912 market.
Boy that's the truth. I'm in the same demographic and owned a 911SC for 14 years. During that time I watched parts prices literally double. I have recently seen nice long-hood 911s (65-73) selling for close to six figures. I got tired of paying obscene prices for small parts on a car that *honestly* was only marginally fun to drive on the street.
So I sold it and bought a Corvair, not because I'm cheap but because it's a car I have always liked and the Corvair community offers great support. Plus I *again honestly* have found that the Corvair is more fun to drive than my 911 ever was. Before it was in pieces for restoration that is!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
Ragtop Man

Post by Ragtop Man »

ricknorris wrote:18 Mar. 2014 Lords of the Car Hoards in my not so humble opinion.

As was expected they showed no respect or knowledge of the Corvair and parroted the same misconceptions about “Cuzzin Ralphie” being responsible for the demise of the car.
The shows formula is a boilerplate stamping of all the other “car shows” right up to the pull away crane shot end of scene sun going down and lights being turned off.
Same ridiculous schedule, running out of money cliff hanger, same bullshit drama as in slamming and kicking inanimate objects. Question: Do you kick a punching bag or punch a kicking bag?
Also includes at least one unfortunate looking person who’s talents are always in question but, turns out to be a genius or idiot savant, I’m not sure which.
Rick Norris
1st CORSA President, 1971
http://www.corvairalley.co" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Corvair powered Dune Buggy
This pretty much nails the definition of all of these types of shows anymore . It brings to mind the total farce that is American Pickers . Turns out these liars don't ride around in a van hoping to luck onto some long hidden stash . The producers put out calls just like this show did for car hoards . They then send out some lackies to preselect items that the stars them supposedly come along and "find" and make offers on. The stars are actually carted around in their own private busses ,(yes, each of them in their own separate bus) and then get into that white van as if they're out exploring over thousands of miles . At least this is what I read . I fell for the Pawn Stars BS for a short time but when he came out with the utter fabrication about a Faberge broche I was finished with them . Haven't watched any of these shows since except for Overhaulin' which I think was mostly genuine in the beginning until everyone caught on . Consequently I am not as outraged as many of the members here but I'm glad someone is giving them hell and callin' 'em out ! :evil: Thanks to Scott and everyone on here for the lively debate ! :assault: :tu:
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Arrghh!! :td:

Now every other person who talks to me at the cruise-ins only wants to know if I saw the show and have a good laugh about our cars.

As usual, they don't want to know the truth...they just like to point out that Corvairs are vagina cars. That one episode has undone all of the positive things Corvair lovers have done in the past 20 years to try to get the public to know the real facts about Corvairs.

Not that I really expected anything positive to come from that show but it would have been nice not to have them so poorly presented.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Ragtop Man

Post by Ragtop Man »

One of the major flaws with this show (other than the idiotically opinionated stars) is that they seem to always have to restore two cars . At least on Overhaulin' they focus on one car . They just don't have time inside of 45 minutes to make it a worthwhile endeavor to me . To find out that the cast is bashing on the very car they worked on just demonstrates their stupidity and lack of class . Now I'm wondering if we should call this thread the Corvair Monologues :rolling:
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

The revelation that California Corvairs rebuilt the engine but no mention of this was in the show is unbelievable to me.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
TexasUK
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TexasUK »

Well I'm assuming it's and insult, but what does 'vagina car' actually stand for?

Having not heard the name applied to cars before, I can't think of a bad connotation to be honest.

If someone called my car a vagina I would probably take it as a compliment, as in, 'I like you car as much as I would a vagina'.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

ImageWhatever it is, it appears to have opened up a hole new market at Cafe Press!
Image :link: http://www.cafepress.com/+vagina+car-accessories
ImageImageImageALTERNATE: My other car is a Vagina?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

:dontknow: Perhaps this new market was intended as a part of the new Discovery Channel show! :rolling:
They could offer bulk discounts to purchasers of Corvair accessories and Corvair Forum calendars.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

Having done a real nuts-and-bolts restoration, none of these shows come close to a real restoration. What they do is, at best, a refurbishment with maybe a bit of customization thrown in. Nevertheless, I do find most of them amusing.
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
JasonC
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by JasonC »

I kind of like the vagina comment. I'll wait for someone to say it to me (99.9% it will be a guy).... I'll just reply that I like being inside a vagina, I guess you don't :dontknow: :neener:
1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp 4spd
1992 BMW 325ic
1997 Jeep Cherokee SE 4x4
dawgfishx wrote:Pennsylvanians...Annoying the British since 1775 ! ;-)
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

Have to be careful starting rumors about California Corvairs having rebuilt the engine. I have not heard Jeff make any claim of that. And unless there is truth in a statement about one of our strongest supporters... there is absolutly no reason to make such a claim! The show may have sucked.... but lets not beat ourselves up from within! :assault:

Corventure Dave
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Corventure Dave wrote:Have to be careful starting rumors about California Corvairs having rebuilt the engine. I have not heard Jeff make any claim of that. And unless there is truth in a statement about one of our strongest supporters... there is absolutly no reason to make such a claim! The show may have sucked.... but lets not beat ourselves up from within! :assault:

Corventure Dave
Ok....I thought I read that here on this forum, that CC had rebuilt the engine on the van they did on the show Didn't I??

Not trying to start rumors and not sure why this would be a negative for CC. My point was that it would have been great exposure for them if they were mentioned in the show, despite the show being garbage.

Last edited by Nickshu on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Corventure Dave wrote:Have to be careful starting rumors about California Corvairs having rebuilt the engine. I have not heard Jeff make any claim of that. And unless there is truth in a statement about one of our strongest supporters... there is absolutly no reason to make such a claim! The show may have sucked.... but lets not beat ourselves up from within! :assault:

Corventure Dave
Dave, it's right here in the Twitter messages that Scott posted. The producer of the show was Tweeting thanks to California Corvairs for rebuilding the engine... There's even a pic of the rebuilt engine before it was installed....

viewtopic.php?p=51575#p51575
Nick
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

Nickshu,

I stand corrected. Thanks. :ty:
Sometimes we tend to defeat ourselves from within with discussions, when we are needing to support the Corvair's we love. :assault: :zzzz:

Corventure Dave
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Vagina? You'll never look at a Dodge Ram emblem the same......
Attachments
dodge-logo-AT-2.jpg
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/

Return to “Corvair Talk”