wanted to say HI!

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
curvesman

wanted to say HI!

Post by curvesman »

I just joined the Corvair forum and wanted to say Hi and tell you a little about myself. I just purchased a 1964 Corvair Monza convertible on ebay. I never owned one and am hoping this is a good car. The person I bought it from says he put over 11,000 into restoring it and said I could drive it from Florida to NY (where I live) with no problem. I am praying he is right because I am flying to Orlando FL 3-6 and going to drive it home after I visit a few friends, get the feel of it and If It runs good attempt the drive up north. If not ship it home and fly home.
I got this car with the intensions of giving it to my grand daughter who is getting her drivers license very soon. So if anyone has any tips for me they would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
curvesman
Skrain

Re: wanted to say HI!

Post by Skrain »

Hi, and welcome! :wave:
One thing...be SURE you have your tire pressures set properly for the drive! If the car has modern radials on it, just keep about 8 pounds less air in the fronts then you have in the rears, and things should be fine.
The old original bias tires ran 26 in the rear and 15 in the front!
Also, have a spare fan belt and maybe a fuel pump and clutch cable, unless you are assured they are new.
Other then that, have fun! A Corvair is a real attention getter!

:welcome2:
1964 Monza Spyder Turbo Convertible.
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 Pickup
curvesman

Post by curvesman »

Skrain wrote:Hi, and welcome! :wave:
One thing...be SURE you have your tire pressures set properly for the drive! If the car has modern radials on it, just keep about 8 pounds less air in the fronts then you have in the rears, and things should be fine.
The old original bias tires ran 26 in the rear and 15 in the front!
Also, have a spare fan belt and maybe a fuel pump and clutch cable, unless you are assured they are new.
Other then that, have fun! A Corvair is a real attention getter!

:welcome2:

Thanks for the reply, I did not know about the tire pressures, from the picture Ive seen the car does have radials Will inquire about the fan belt, fuel pump and not to worry about the clutch cable being its automatic BUT not sure about the auto transmission cable my guess no need to worry about that. Now I have to find out what kind of gas to put into it? If it was rebuilt unleaded gas if not I guess buy the addative?
Skrain

Post by Skrain »

I have a Turbo Spyder, so I run premium unleaded and have had no problems. Turbos are a little more sensitive to pinging...
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome: :wave: :welcome2: :thumbsupwink: :goofywave: :funnypost: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

Well, there is a bit of a risk involved in driving a 50 year old "unknown" Corvair from Florida to New York, but that is part of the fun of Corvair ownership. ::-): I did something similar when I found my 1966 Corsa convertible on eBay. I live about 100 miles north of Atlanta in western North Carolina, and the car I bought on eBay was near Orlando, in Lakeland, Florida. I jumped on a Greyhound bus in Atlanta with a suitcase containing a Garmin GPS, a cell phone, some hand tools, a spare fan belt, and a Corvair shop manual. When I got to Lakeland, I took a city bus to the classic car dealership, completed the transaction, looked the car over, turned the key, and drove it home with a huge grin on my face. :cool: ::-): I had been involved with ten family Corvairs over the years since 1961 (when I was 8), but I had foolishly sold my last 1965 Corsa in 1995 just before I was to retire from the Air Force. Prior to that I had always had at least one or two Corvairs with me all over the USA and in Germany, but I went without a Corvair in my life from 1995 until 2012. At that time my wife and I celebrated our 40th anniversary and decided to do it by buying a Corvair again. So I drove the 557 miles from Lakeland to home without incident, and loved every minute of the journey. I did as much of it as I could with the top down, and I could not believe how much attention that car garnered at every gas station, rest stop, fast food restaurant, and even at traffic lights when I was stopped. Questions, thumbs up, and admiration all the way! you will probably find a similar experience on your journey home.

Is this your new Corvair??? It seems to fit your description of a 1964 Corvair convertible near Orlando (New Smyrna Beach, Florida) with a user-stated "OVER $11,000. INVESTED IN RESTORATION". It is a nice looking convertible!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

You did not say what part of New York is home, but I'm guessing you have about a 1000-1300 mile Corvair journey ahead of you! Hopefully the weather will cooperate, but you may have to put the top up on occasion! (Power top or manual???) Be sure to check its operation — especially if it has a power top! Also, check the automatic transmission fluid. It should be clean and red, and not have a burned odor or a brown discoloration that could indicate internal slippage of the bands or clutches. Powerglide automatic transmissions in Corvairs have a good reputation as solid performers, as long as the fluid level is properly maintained. If there is any sign of a leak from the transmission, be sure to keep an eye on the fluid level.

I noticed a block of wood being used as a wheel chock in one of the photos. Make sure that the parking brake works! Corvair Powerglide transmissions do not have a PARK position to lock the transmission when you park the car! The parking brake is all you have to keep the car from rolling off somewhere, and the parking brake cable can snap unexpectedly. If you park on a hill it is a good idea to turn the front wheels into the curb to keep the car from rolling, or to carry some plastic wheel chocks in the trunk to avoid nasty surprises!

Tire pressures should be about 8-10 psi lower in the front than in the rear. About 27 front, 35 psi rear for street use has been recommended as a baseline.

1964 was a good year for Early Model (1960-1964) Corvairs. In that year the engine displacement increased from 145 CI to 164 CI. A lightweight magnesium blower replaced to older steel blower, which improved fan belt reliability (lowered the "flywheel effect" of the heavier steel blower, which tended to resist engine speed changes and placed more stress on the fan belt). A transverse leaf spring was added to the rear suspension, and an anti-sway bar was added to the front suspension to help improve handling. A harmonic balancer was added to all but the lowest hp engines, to compensate for crankshaft harmonics with the long-stroke crankshaft.
1964 Corvair Camber Compensator
1964 Corvair Camber Compensator
1964 Corvair Front Anti-Sway Bar
1964 Corvair Front Anti-Sway Bar
Corvair Blower Fan Designs
Corvair Blower Fan Designs
Corvair Pulleys and Balancers
Corvair Pulleys and Balancers
The following Corvair Forum link can provide you with a list of useful websites that should be helpful as a Corvair owner...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

Last summer a Corvair Forum member, Doug Gault, bought a 1964 Monza coupe and flew to North Carolina to drive it back to his home in Dallas Texas (a little over 1000 miles — a similar distance to your planned journey in a similar Corvair). He was also new to Corvairs. He documented the whole experience, and you might enjoy reading of his journey.
:link: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=6074&p=41959&hilit ... rip#p41959

For your trip, some type of emergency spares kit might be a good idea. Things like a spare fuel pump, spare fan belt, etc. are usually recommended, along with a 1961 shop manual (Basic) and a 1964 shop manual supplement. Some basic hand tools are a good idea. Corvairs do not have emergency flashers, so some portable, battery-operated emergency flashers and/or a reflective warning triangle, plus a flashlight, can help if you have a breakdown at night. Membership in AAA or a similar roadside assistance insurance is always a good idea, and you should have a cell phone too.

Many non-turbocharged Corvairs can tolerate Regular Unleaded fuel. If you hear any rattling, pinging sound from the engine under load, as when climbing long uphill grades, you may need to bump the octane rating up a bit to a mid-grade or Premium. You should get about 20-24 mpg. Don't worry about unleaded fuel in a Corvair. The valves were designed to deal with higher head temperatures than found in water-cooled cars, so the hardened valves and valve seats tolerate unleaded fuel OK. Ask the previous owner for his fuel recommendations.

I hope your journey is enjoyable and problem-free. I will send you a Private Message with my phone number in North Carolina. If you run into problems or have questions during your trip, feel free to give me a call.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
curvesman

Post by curvesman »

Yes that is my new baby! I did not know Corvairs did not have a park position! Scary to think GM did that? I will have to make sure that emergency brake works well before my journey! I am from upstate ny near west point (monroe) My bride of 43 yrs loves the look of the car herself! When I was dating her I had a 1964 impala , so recently I picked one up a convertible to my surprise she was not impressed with it at all.
Hopefully she will like it more when I finish it to the color I had when we were dating!(daytona blue) Well any way when she saw the corvair she liked that right away! I am going to stop in Lakeland to visit a friend when I am there.
It does have a power top and While I am in new smyrna beach to pick up the corvair I will stop and see (for the first time)the original owner of a 1965 corvette i bought on ebay 3 yrs ago. He sold it to a man in Virginia in 2007 who did a frame off, lost interest and I bought it. Long story short I had all the paper work from when he purchased the corvette in 1965 i NY and i looked him up. He is an airlines pilot living in Florida so I told him when I finish restoring it I would like for him to fly to ny and be the first to drive it again take your bride for a ride for the day and stay at my house. he said thank you. and when the time came he could not make it . Well two weeks ago I sent him a email saying I was coming to florida to visit my inlaws and would like to meet him he said great look forward to that and your guest room is there waiting for you. Well then I buy the corvair and he is 4 miles from where the Corvair is! SMALL WORLD!
Was the car dealer you delt with Classicsby lash? I see them on ebay and was going to stop and check them out while I was in Lakeland

thanks again for all your tips and I will check all them Items you stated.
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Welcome! Nice car!
curvesman

Post by curvesman »

Thanks to all! Just read that long road trip story Very good, I hope I can make it thru with no problems but this story was an eye opener! BE Prepared!!
Skrain

Post by Skrain »

I have noticed at times that my parking brake will stop the car from rolling forward, but NOT backward! Perhaps this is because it's only using one of the rear brake shoes, or maybe mine just needs adjusting...
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
shifty1944

Post by shifty1944 »

I just drove mine, last week, 245 miles from San Marcos to Irving, Texas on a move. I didn't check the tire pressure on the front wheels but I was aware of it. My trunk was loaded with heavy items and I could actually see that the car was lower in the front so I just went with it. It felt like the car performed better as the trip went and I was quite impressed with it's performance. I've been driving it every day since then (my wife's car is in the shop) and it just won't stop. I didn't have an extra belt but I knew I should have. I really just hoped for the best. What a great car! Good luck to you!
1962 Monza Sedan
curvesman

Post by curvesman »

Glad you had a good trip, I guess you need less air in the front because there is not much weight up there? I still do not understand why there is no park position on a automatic car? :banghead: Read up on it there was no room in the tranny for a tail shaft.
curvesman

Post by curvesman »

Report about my trip home from Florida to New York, First went to New Smyrna beach to see the original owner that purchased my 1965(also same town as were the Corvair was located small world) corvette new we had a great talk and he gave me some parts he had saved for years. He then helped me drop off my rental car and went to pick up the Corvair. The owner was VERY nice and after a little talk said my goodbys and went to my inlaws 2 hrs away. car spare tire was flat so took it to a firestone dealer and they said rim was bad. Looked on craigslist and found a corvair used parts place in Deland fl 2 hrs away.Norm called and said he had rims for sale 15 dollars each I went there and got 2, also needed a battery which he gave me out of one of his 20 to 30 corvairs at a great price! Went back got the tire fixed and put on about 700 miles in Florida before heading to NY. Left Fannying Springs FL for NC made the trip in 12 hrs with no problems. Then left in on a raining afternoon for friends in Virgina about 2 hrs into the 5 hr drive the Battery fan light came on I pulled over checked the fan belt which seemed fine so I said to myself just drive until the battery goes dead. I turned off all my lights unplugged my cell phone said a few prayers and about 2 hrs later the light went out! Now it was getting dark so I put on my head lights and drove the next hr to my friends house. The next day checked the engine and all looked good added half quart of oil (had oil changed in Florida)and headed to New York. As soon as I left my friends house the speedometer was making a racket bouncing to 100 back and forth soon the needle broke and I disconnected the cable because it was making a real loud noise. Drove the next 7 hrs to my house with out any problems. Over all I was very pleased with the trip. I can not believe all the people that love the car or say I never seen one of them! Found a used cluster to put in for my speedometer waiting for it to arrive to install!
Thanks to all who wished me a safe trip
Curvesman :tu:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

ImageGlad to hear all went relatively well. Such a trip definitely can add a little spice to life! ::-):

ImageImage

The apparent charging system fault could be a warning sign of a failing voltage regulator. They are usually an electro-mechanical contact design, and the contacts could be burned, corroded or pitted. A physical inspection by removing the voltage regulator cover may reveal the source of the problem. If the fault resurfaces you might consider replacing the voltage regulator.

Where Does Velveeta (and Liederkranz) Cheese Come From? Monroe, NY, Of Course!
Did you know that Velveeta Cheese was invented by the Monroe Cheese Company in Monroe, New York? The Velveeta Cheese Company was incorporated there in 1923!
In January 1926, the Monroe Cheese Company closed both its Monroe and Covington plants and moved to Ohio, where milk was more plentiful and less expensive. The Velveeta company remained until the next year, when it was sold to Kraft Foods.

And that was the end of industrial cheese making in Monroe.
:link: http://www.hvmag.com/Hudson-Valley-Maga ... Of-Course/
Brad Bodie
curvesman

Post by curvesman »

Thanks for the tip about the voltage regulator! Yes Monroe is known for the cheese, they have a cheese festival every year!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

A salute to Monroe! If it weren't for Velveeta, we wouldn't have...

Brad Bodie
classicchevyowner7

Post by classicchevyowner7 »

Congrats on your corvair! Glad you had a nice trip back. We drove mine approximately 140 miles from north Ga home. It can be unnerving driving an old car that far. Glad you made it OK. I have owned my 61 for about a month now, and I love it. The comments are great too! I actually run fuel without ethanol in my Corvair because of the gummy residue it can leave behind. Good luck with your Corvair!
- Allen

Return to “Introductions”