'65 Monza project in the dry central valley CA

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
viewmaster

'65 Monza project in the dry central valley CA

Post by viewmaster »

Well...i have been at it, working on the project, looking at things and assessing what i have. Took the cover off the oil cooler, since there was a bit of "fuzz" peeking our from underneath.

Let me interject here, and state that: if a guy that is selling you a used Corvair, and he lives in a heavily wooded area...you may have a problem with mouse, rat, squirrel nests.

So...i have alot of work ahead of me, cleaning the fins of the heads and cylinders. UGH!!!! Any help on the removal of the lower shroud that hugs the underside of the cylinders? Do i have to take the engine compartment sheet metal all the way around? I am jumping in with both feet and learning one heluvalot these past couple weeks.

Also, there is a stud, if thats what is stock, on the idler pulley mount, adjustment side, that the previous owner had high temp silicone on. (see pic) As well as the oil filler tube.. Is this normal, or is it punched through and need replacing?

Thanks guys... ill keep posting.
Attachments
034.JPG
033.JPG
035.JPG
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan "Turbo'd" 110 SU conversion 4sp Manual'
gpracer89

Re: '65 Monza project in the dry central valley CA

Post by gpracer89 »

Just went through some of this on my '69 Monza. The oil filler tube should be a tight interference into the oil filter plate. While cleaning my plate, I noticed the tube was loose & came right out in my hands. Same orange silicone! Someone has screwed that up. Local Corvair wizard Rick Norris sold me a replacement plate with a tube that fit properly.

He fixed my old setup as a backup. He took socket(s) and drove them through the tube until it had the proper dimension and fit tightly in the plate. There is supposed to be no o-ring or sealer. You could also use JB Weld, but it isn't as good a fix.

The silicone on the stud mount just looks like sloppy work, maybe he thought there was oil leaking there too?

Good luck! :tu:
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Thanks gpracer89...i have figured that i would run into some stuff like this, so im not surprised. i am gonna take my time and get this one stripoped down and built up again for a good driver.
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Hey everyone...anyone ever have THIS happen to them??? (he said sarcastically)
002.JPG
I found out the issue with the regulator...well...as i was removing it actually. If i had been more observant, i would have taken note of the 4th screw holding the reg to the door. It was not like the other three, and happened to be 1/8" to 5/32" longer, and a sheet metal screw to boot. The sharp end of the screw almost cut a groove all the way through my regulator backing plate. OUCH!!!

I am gonna have the 500 in the shop next Sat. the 15th, and needed to address the window regulator issue beforehand.

I took a break from the Monza, and did the door and window reg on the 500. This is my view from the garage picnic area. What a sight huh?? LOL
003.JPG
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Maybe the question was lost in the pictures or all the Mumbo jumbo, so I will ask again.

Can anyone help me with the removal of the lower shrouds, that hug the cylinders??? Do I need to totally remove the engine surround to remove these? I need to get a pressure washer in there and blow everything down through.

Thanks guys, these are what I'm talking about.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (10.79 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:sad5: I know what you mean about living in the forrest and dealing with squirrels. Here in the mountains of North Carolina the squirrels are running all over the place. And the automobile "victims" are not just Corvairs. I have a 1991 Toyota Supra turbo that was parked outside for a while. One day I drove it about 15 miles to a Home Depot, and when I arrived I noticed a wisp of smoke emanating from under the hood. I discovered that I had an engine fire! Using a fire extinguisher donated from the aforementioned Home Depot, I quickly put the fire out. The cause???? There is a spark plug trough in the inline six cylinder engine, between the two overhead camshafts. The local squirrels had decided to build a nest in there, and the trough was filled with acorns, twigs, and leaves! The engine heat apparently ignited this dry kindling. Fortunately I discovered the fire before it spread, so the damage was limited to melted spark plug wires and a melted plastic cosmetic cover above the ignition coil pack.
Squirrel 2.jpg
ImageImage

You might want to consider leaving those lower sheet metal surrounds on the cylinder barrels in place during your cleaning efforts. I doubt there is much dirt in that area, and you would have to remove all of the push rod tubes to get them out. (They are held in place by a couple of spring clips).
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Whoa Brad...that's crazy! I have since seen some posts on the Corvair Center Forum, about the nests that people have found under the fan shroud. Yikes! I don't feel so bad about mine. Good thing i didn't try and drive it home.

Thanks for the tip...I was looking at those pushrods tubes, and thinking...well...those will have to be taken off. I was just thinking about all the fuzzy crud getting stuck on top of those shields.

I will fire up the pressure washer, and give her a good douching out. = D
(don't worry...my washer is only a 1200 psi model...if that)

I'll post more pix soon...the project continues...
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Here are some pictures of my hodge-podge Monza sedan. Oh...did I mention, the former owner is a pilot and an amateur woodworker. Lol
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Well, have been slogging away cleaning up mouse nests in the engine and in the back seat. I pulled the "custom" package tray out, and found an ingenious way of fitting a wooden package tray under the rear window trim. (will post pictures soon). The pattern looks like a good design, and i will prolly make a new one just like it.

This weekend, got under and took out the air duct to clean out mouse poop and wash thoroughly. Found out that the rear folding seat back has the wrong bolts NOT holding it down. Luckily, i dont think the threads in the body are stripped.

Ordered a rebuild kit from Burlen.co.uk in England, for the SU. I just got around to rebuilding it this weekend, since the current configuration has throttle linkage silver soldered to the opposite side of the body from the carb linkage. I got the link arm soldered to the spindle and assembled the carb …only to find out that the jet they sent me with the kit is wrong. I need to sort that out soon. I want to finish buttoning up the top end and get the bottom end done as well. Then tune this thing and get it running.
Anyways…pics soon.
-m
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Dash looks like a cross between Chriscraft and Cessna:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

viewmaster wrote:Oh...did I mention, the former owner is a pilot and an amateur woodworker. Lol
You most certainly didn't need to!! hahahaha I always thought there was a connection between corvairs and aircraft! For obvious reasons! Look....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSrJzvWcic4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkh7rtiSwFE
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

terribleted wrote:Dash looks like a cross between Chriscraft and Cessna:)
Yes!! And all the gauges have those little lights that illuminate just that face. When I get some wiring issues under the dash sorted, I'll try and get a night shot of the dash.

flat6_musik wrote:
viewmaster wrote:Oh...did I mention, the former owner is a pilot and an amateur woodworker. Lol
You most certainly didn't need to!! hahahaha I always thought there was a connection between corvairs and aircraft! For obvious reasons! Look....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSrJzvWcic4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkh7rtiSwFE
Yeah huh? He did do some kooky things with it, but hopefully it will drive and handle well.
-m
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Well i got a copy of the Corsa Tech Guide article on the Peter Jacobs Monza build back in '88. It uses a 2" SU carb rather than the 1 3/4" one that i am using. I also have been in contact with Dennis "Turboman6468", current owner of said Monza. He has sent me some details about the conversion, and i believe the PO of my Monza sedan used the Peter Jacobs conversion as a roadmap to my car.
Long story short, i will be going over things, now that i have rebuilt the SU, and pulling the engine to get a good look at her and clean and seal things up properly.
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Hello all...been busy with work and my daughters car so... I just got a chance to pull the engine today. Started removing and labeling wires and such last night. Now its time to start cleanup and reassembly, and then stand start it to tune and diagnose any possible problems. Thanks Dave Motohead for your YouTube university videos.
Found a rear sway bar installed...cool.
Found a rear sway bar installed...cool.
Also found heim joint strut rods and reinforced trans mount.
Also found heim joint strut rods and reinforced trans mount.
PO made a quick disconnect mess in the Engine compartment
PO made a quick disconnect mess in the Engine compartment
Thank God for these...
Thank God for these...
There she is...
There she is...
A clean slate...
A clean slate...
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

If anyone can help me... I am wanting to weld a bar that has 3/4" pipe "T" ends, that will bolt where the universal joints were removed at the wheel yoke. Anyone know that measurement? It would help tremendously.
001.JPG
002.JPG
Also, this pic looks like i have a high capacity oil pump. Is that what i think it is? The PO ground out a hole to make room for the wider spacer.
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
viewmaster

Post by viewmaster »

Okay...did a compression check the other day, and came up with this:
#1) 135
#2) 120
#3) 135
#4) 130
#5) 142
#6) 135
I used the max PSI method, and this was a dry test.
I think im gonna clean it up, button everything together and install and run her until something breaks...then ill fix it. I the meantime, I am gonna search for someone to do some porting and polishing and upgrades to a spare set of heads i got in the sale.
What do y'all think?

Just did a wet test on low-baller #2...it pumped up to 135, so i believe i need to do some rings here in a bit. Maybe when i get my spare heads ready to install.
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”