Sound proof a Lakewood wagon

All Models and Years
indianalakewood1961
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Sound proof a Lakewood wagon

Post by indianalakewood1961 »

I have a 61 lakewood station wagon that I bought for the wife and she doesnt like the fact that the engine being in the car with her is louder than she is used to.. Is there a good affordable way to make the car not as loud inside? I put down some carpet and it made it better but its still not very quite in there..
bjbuchanan

Re: Sound proof a Lakewood wagon

Post by bjbuchanan »

Try a layer of e-dead over just the engine cover area or something similar. The stuff really is no joke and would work great for that specific area. It would also cut down on some heat transfer as well
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Edead, Dynamat, Raamat, and other sound deadening products can make a big difference I agree. Make sure the seal around the engine cover is in good shape and seals all the way around. Adhesing a layer of this stuff on the inside of the cover is going to be annoying I fear, the surface must be spotless for good adhesion if these products and heat may influence them to some degree as well (there may be issues if it comes loose and falls in the fan etc). Covering the top of the engine cover is a good choice but it would really need to be covered with carpet and would no longer appear stock. Much could be gained by coating the area forward of the engine cover up to the back seat and down to the floor under the back seat. Powertrain noise from tranny and diff would be masked some that way as well.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Ira

Post by Ira »

So, I suppose suggesting that she wear ear plugs would only get you into trouble. ::-):

IRa :chevy:
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Tell her not to bother with it, and drive it your self. No?
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
indianalakewood1961
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

I barely get to sit in it now.. If I tell her to wear ear plugs or even attempt to grab the wheel I will pull back a stub..lol.. I got lucky and found a wife that loves corvairs as much as I do.. :guitar:
SpyderMan

Post by SpyderMan »

Do you have all of the engine lid and and side cover seals? Are they still soft? Do you screw down the rear lid and side covers? Do you have insulation on the under side of the engine lid?

If all of these are in place and in good shape you should see a big drop in noise.

I installed new door seals all the way around as well as new vent window rubber and and my windows seal very well. With the windows up in the cold weather it is still nice and not loud.

Sam Russell
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Monza Spyder
SpyderMan

Post by SpyderMan »

Thanks for the pics. I don't have the carpet & pad that go over the motor, It has the insulation pad underneath. Is the carpet factory or is it something you put in yourself? I just put my own carpet piece down that has a rubber mat attached underneath it, it made it a little more quite but could stand to be better.. Thanks again...
I think that the cars had a rubber mat when new maybe the 62 Monzas had carpet I am not sure.

The carpet is from one of the vendors probably Clark's it goes all the way down behind the rear seat. I am sure it helps but the seals on all of the covers and having every thing screwed down helps more!

How are your seals? Do you have all of the screws installed?
Sam Russell
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Monza Spyder
indianalakewood1961
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

If you mean under the Lip of the lid then mine are gone. I thought that it maybe shouldve had a rubber seal around it but it looked like one was never there. I've just not seen enough wagons to know just what is on them.
SpyderMan

Post by SpyderMan »

You can see it in the top picture it runs all the way around the engine cover. It will make a HUGE difference in how much sound gets threw, the same thing goes for the Side covers. The seal material and glue is not bad from Clark's. I will take a picture of one of the side covers for you and post it .

With all the seals and every thing pulled down tight it will be a new car!!
Sam Russell
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Monza Spyder
SpyderMan

Post by SpyderMan »

Here is the one of the side cover seals installed.

Sam Russell
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Monza Spyder
indianalakewood1961
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

I am pretty sure mine doesn't have any of those seals on it, I will open it up today and check it all out. Thanks for the pics and info..
James
SpyderMan

Post by SpyderMan »

James, no prob. I think if you get the seals in place you will have a happy wife! do you have any pictures of your wagon you can post?
Sam Russell
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Monza Spyder
indianalakewood1961
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Sure do..
untitiled 2.JPG
untitled 3.JPG
untitled 4.JPG
untitled 5.JPG
untitled1.JPG
SpyderMan

Post by SpyderMan »

James, what a great looking wagon, I can see why she likes it.
Sam Russell
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Monza Spyder
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Am-Iron »

This is not a wagon only fix but I was turned on to it By John and Teresa when they purchased my Corsa they used roof flashing as a sound deadener. They say to get it at Home depot or roofing supply company. It is sticky on one side like Dynamat, Fatmat, E-Dead, or any of the others but way cheaper. Just a thought. I have not tried it yet but it seems like it would work.
Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”