Hidden secrets of a $15k offered Corvair

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
robertto

Hidden secrets of a $15k offered Corvair

Post by robertto »

Last year I was searching a LM Coupé after selling my ´65 Monza to a nice guy. The nice guy is happy with the car and we are good friends now.
7970_503036199770133_1720892008_n.jpg
The plan was to buy a new Corvair in the States in a very good condition, because I am driver not a mechanic.

After studying some adverts I found a black ´65 Corsa Coupé with 140 HP. The car was offered for more than $ 15.000. In my opinion the price range for a car without big faults and rustholes.The car was also offered on Ebay but did not reach the reserve.

On the pics it looked fantastic with a new paint, new interior and a clean engine.
$T2eC16FHJFwFFZqkDBOrBSGTbkHCO!~~60_57.jpg
$(KGrHqJ,!mIFInGyeZu0BSOLJjn,2w~~60_57.jpg
$T2eC16FHJF4FFkvY7oPYBSGTbwT!t!~~60_57.jpg
I contacted the sellers, a couple from DesMoines, Iowa, very well known Corvair enthusiasts in the scene with a collection of several Corvairs and a own Homepage. There was a slide show of the restoration of the black Corsa.

The car was well described among others …„it was nearly rust free when we started. All rust was cut out and metal expertly welded in“… For me this was a very important item!!!

After several very friendly emails with pictures, they might be trustworthy to me and we found a sale price without the 17 inch chrome wheels. I told them I need a car in a original and good condition to get a historical registration in Germany. I paid the car via bank transfer and ordered 15 inch wheels and tires and sent them to DesMoines.
After mounting I organised a transport to L.A. to my shipping company.
1378998_10202015997071790_192538569_n.jpg
At the same time I went with two friends (and Corvair drivers) to L.A. for a two week holiday. In the first place we wanted to drive with the Corvair to Palm Springs to the „Fan Belt Toss“, but then we decided to go with a Camper mobile.

I was very excited to see my new Corvair.

...to be continued...
Blue hen

Re: Hidden secrets of a $15k offered Corvair

Post by Blue hen »

ohno, I have a bad feeling this doesnt end well...
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

I saw this car on ebay and it struck me as being one of the best looking Late Model corvairs i have ever seen, hope this story doesnt end too terribly
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Please, no more "Mart-stories"!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:whoa: This is like going to the movies to see an episode of The Lord of the Rings series, and then having to moan and groan and wait a year or so for the next episode!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
notched

Post by notched »

I am sure if you look at anything long enough you can find things wrong. The Miller's are the ones who owned the car and they seem to be very well respected in the Corvair community.
I think the title of the thread is rather misleading unless you actually found something wrong with the car. This is why I am not sure why you posted a thread like this.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
wingnutandme
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by wingnutandme »

Oh, come on, cheer up. Hidden secrets could be: $15K hidden under the front seats, fan shroud is solid gold under the black engine paint, gold bullion used to weight the front end, there's a Van Gogh under the newly upholstered seats. I'm ashamed of all these Vair people's pessimism.
61 Rampside
Ultra Van #328
CORSA, Corvanatics, UVMCC, VCE
Corvanatics Secretary/Treasurer/Newsletter Editor
UVMCC Newsletter Editor
Cosworth & a Vega Kammback
80 TR7 Vert
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

Just Hope Ralph Nader was not hiding under the Back seat!
mart

Post by mart »

wingnutandme wrote:Oh, come on, cheer up. Hidden secrets could be: $15K hidden under the front seats, fan shroud is solid gold under the black engine paint, gold bullion used to weight the front end, there's a Van Gogh under the newly upholstered seats. I'm ashamed of all these Vair people's pessimism.

they've all spent too long reading about the bucket :rolling:
robertto

Post by robertto »

Hey,
I don´t think I bought a Corvair drama like Mart. But to exchange the experience I made may help other Corvair enthusiasts!

Sorry fort he delayed proceeding. I was busy in my job.

After a week in California I got the message MY Corvair bought from a couple of Corvair enthusiasts in Iowa, was delivered to the shipping company in L.A..
2013-10-15 01.30.45.jpg
A few days later I saw my new car first time in real life. Very exciting. It was dusty and dirty but wow, it looked really good. The battery was empty, but with a power unit it started immediately and the engine sounded very strong. The new interior was well done, only the trim on the right a-pillar was broken.
image (2).jpeg
image.jpeg
A friend of me opened the trunk and shout to me: „There is a big rusthole on the left side.“ What, are you sure, I cannot believe?
rstimage.jpeg
And then I saw it! On the left side above the filler neck. Open the fuel filler door and you can see through the hole inside the trunk.
rst2image.jpeg
Oh my god, I expected not a concours car, but a rust free car and after 3 minutes of inspection we discovered a 8 inch long rusthole.

We inspected the rest of the body, as good as you can do without a lift or a ramp, but found no more rusted points.

A few hours later I gave the lady of the couple a call and told her our detection. She was very surprised and promised me to talk with her husband. I explained her, I expected a car without big rusted areas, remembered her on the sales description („All rust was cut out and metal expertly welded in“…) and told her in Germany I have to fix the hole because our technical inspection and registration for a historical car are very strict.

In a Email the couple recommended me to repair the part with glasfibre, it will only cost $50.- I wondered that Corvair enthusiasts who sold a fresh restored Corsa for a lot of money recommend me a glass fibre job!!

I wrote her back, Cutting out the rust an weld a piece of sheet
metal is the only way for me. Welding in this area is a tricky job without to burn and
damage the new paint. In Germany a good quality work will cost up to $ 1500.

After that we had the hell of a discussion if a glassfibre job is standard work for a $ 13.000 Corsa, but finally we arranged a refund of $ 500.- to me.

My car went to shipping to Germany and the story goes on…
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Insted of welding you could gring out the rust and use the new metal bonding glues used now in bodyshops everywhere and the stuff works VERY WELL, better than weld in a lot of places and just as strong. One of them is called "SEM Door Skin and Panel Adhesive" works real good. Just my :02: Jimbo :fc front:
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

That is almost nothing. Personally i think that is hardly anything to get worked up about when you buy a 50 year old car. I understand you were told it was a rust free car, but this is a very easily overlooked spot, i honestly probably never would have even noticed it. I know i have never even looked there on my 65 monza and i have even dropped the tank and filler hose. i would think you could weld it without burning the paint, without much trouble.
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan
DAVECS1

Post by DAVECS1 »

So is it just the one hole by the filler neck? It is a beautiful car! To bad you are are still not state side. I would offer to fix it for free. Buying old cars is tough. I believe most people have the best intentions, sometimes when you work multiple decades making something pretty, it is hard to see were things are going bad.

I understand your dismay, but this is an old machine and at the end of the day, that kind of money for classic iron is a good buy, but comes with some hazards sight unseen. I am not sure at what price you expect perfect, but your close, but not guaranteed.
Last edited by DAVECS1 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 Speed
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

According to the last two posters, a little rust is okay on a car that is advertised as rust free? Does "rust free" mean there is no additional charge for the rust? What if I have a car that truly is completely rust free, how do I describe that car?

Disclaimer: I don't know any more about this situation than I read here, but I find it rather incredible that someone would think it's okay for a "rust free" car to have an area of significant rust through. Remind me never to buy a "rust free" car from Bobby65 or DAVECS1.
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

I agree,I have some documented perfect Not one spec of rust Corsa's, $13 grand is a lot to pay to open the trunk and find that on an advertised rust free car,I would be Pissed and demand more back than $500, I guess my perfect straight not one speck of rust or Bondo cars would be worth twice that on the rust free scale.
DAVECS1

Post by DAVECS1 »

I think you guys may have misconstrued my comments. I was trying to make the guy feel better about his purchase. Quite frankly if I am going to spend anything over a 1000 dollars and it is used, I am going to lay my hands on it.

I have never sold any of the cars I have bought, so no need to worry about buying from me.
1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 Speed

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”