65 disk brake and drop kit project

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
USAF_vair

65 disk brake and drop kit project

Post by USAF_vair »

Well college break was event full for my 65 corvair. I found out that the car got invited to the Winterfest of Wheels in Sioux Falls SD in Feb 7-9 the show proceeds will go towards a Cure for Kids cancer.

I have had the intentions of rebuilding the front end on this car sense nationals and finally found the time to get the project going.

the project is to replace and paint all front end ball joints and rubber joints. the other side of this project is to fit the disk brake set-up and the 2 inch drop spindle kit to the factor corvair suspension.

here is a few photos to of the front end build. will be putting the suspension in the car hopefully on Sunday.
Attachments
IMAG0418.jpg
IMAG0422.jpg
rowin4

Re: 65 disk brake and drop kit project

Post by rowin4 »

Is the dropped spindle a Corvair only piece? What about the disc brake setup?
USAF_vair

Post by USAF_vair »

The spindle is a 2inch drop spindle and it has the disk brake brackets cast directly into it came off a mid 80's Monte Carlo
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

Will 13" wheels fit over the calipers?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

This is the first that I've heard of a 1980s Monte Carlo spindle and disc brake assembly being adaptable to fit a Corvair suspension. Is the top and bottom ball joint spacing and hole size correct for use on a Corvair suspension, or were some modifications needed to produce the correct fitment? I'm assuming the loss of the front speedometer drive cable, but are there other problems and issues with this conversion? Is this a modification you developed yourself or did you read about this use of Chevy Monte Carlo components somewhere? I'm sure there are many on the Corvair Forum who would be interested in more details about your project, because the successful adaptation could open many possibilities for Corvair owners.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

The only drop spindle I've ever seen that fit right was a cut and welded Corvair spindle.

Did you all know that the actual spindle is press fitted into the rest of the unit?
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
USAF_vair

Post by USAF_vair »

you bring up some good questions that I had to work around brad.

the Monte Carlo and S-10 are basically the same front spindles. I talked with a local hobby racer and first about pricing the s-10 kit and he informed me that the Monte Carlo kit would be the same thing and Cheaper. reason for this it the Monte Carlo is used on the dirt tracks and the spindles used by many racers are the 2 inch drop kit. Then the guy went and told me that he had a kit with hubs and everything in needed for the spindles and the brakes. The price he sold me was 150 for both spindles, hubs bolt pattern 5 on 4 3/4, and the front brakes.

the mods that I had to do to the spindles where not to difficult. nothing a hack saw and grinder couldn't handle. the ball joint holes and tapper are the same as the corvair but the issue is the depth. top and steering ball joints would be modified on the spindle to accommodate the corvair joints. the lower ball joint I went with using a stock Monte Carlo ball joint and cutting the lower a-arm and adapting a new sleeve to press the ball joint into the lower A-arm of the corvair.

the gain to this setup is I spent $250 total and a weekend of figuring things out. and maybe a 12 pack lol

the corvair front end will be widened by around 2 inches
of course disk brakes
local parts stores carry plenty of parts for Monte Carlo
the stock corvair spring is still used

the downfall is the speedo cable. there is room to drill a hole into the spindle to adapt the cable. but for the time and effort i would just install a magnetic pickup on car.
on my corvair, i already have Digital gauges and have installed a pickup kit before knowing I would due a mod like this.
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

Have you checked to see if the caliper will hit the upper A-Arm in turns with the suspension loaded/unloaded?
USAF_vair

Post by USAF_vair »

only issue we had was the little flared lip on the upper A-arm of the corvair would contact the spindle where the dust plate was bolted up. this area I just ground down a little and I have full travel left and right. I gain clearance when the suspension is loaded.
rowin4

Post by rowin4 »

Sounds like a simple swap, For the lower ball joint , did you get the ball joint sleeves from Speedway Motors? Can you post a picture of the lower a arm modification?
USAF_vair

Post by USAF_vair »

Ya I will get pictures. Sleeves can cause major issues if the castle bolt is loose. Or the taper is off with the casting. Hear of a nice restoration going into ditch due to a sleeved ball joint
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

I have these 13" wheels I want on my race car as I get free 13" race tires and need a disc kit that the rims will fit over,I have other set ups on my street cars with 15's and no wheel clearance problems.
Attachments
CIMG5268.JPG
corvair stuff 184.jpg
USAF_vair

Post by USAF_vair »

car before the suspension change.
Attachments
IMAG0424.jpg
USAF_vair

Post by USAF_vair »

here is the car with the drop kit added and the disk brakes installed. I still have to get the suspension broke in for a few miles before I get the car aligned but I did take some measurements before and after the kit was installed.

stock measurements for width on center tread was 57 1/4 new width is 58 1/2
Attachments
IMAG0433.jpg
USAF_vair

Post by USAF_vair »

here are a few pictures of the spindles and the clearance issues I ha to overcome. the clearance gets better as the suspension has weigh on the car. the photo was taken with no load. the other picture is the size of the lower ball joint that needed to be installed. there was no issue with this install. took me only about an hour to do both a-arms.

the measurement I took on my above post was taken after putting a 1/4 inch toe in with no suspension load. so I expect that to change but it gives an idea of the width change.
Attachments
IMAG0429.jpg
IMAG0427.jpg
rowin4

Post by rowin4 »

On the bottom sleeve, did you just butt it up to the bottom and weld or cut a hole to fit it in?

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”