Why aren't Corvairs more popular?

Anything Corvair related
Doplebanger

Re: Why aren't Corvairs more popular?

Post by Doplebanger »

I'm in the process of trying to buy my first right now. My appointment got postponed until tomorrow.

But let me tell you. Everyone (almost) echoes the misled concerns being voiced here.

However, there have been a few "Nader, that idiot." And "wow, I remember that car!"
buy domestic
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I ran into a guy last week at a Christmas party and we started talking cars. When I told him I owned a couple of Corvairs he asked why I would want any of those since it was illegal to drive them on public streets. Oh really?

He also genuinely thought they would explode if rear-ended (Pinto). When I told him Nader had made the Corvair famous by saying they were prone to roll-over accidents he said he had never heard of that.

It took quite a while to set him straight. I'm sure he will forget those facts in a few days.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Doplebanger

Post by Doplebanger »

Wow. Did you ask him about his extra chromosome?

In all seriousness. No car will explode in that fashion. Some people.
buy domestic
Akinon93

Post by Akinon93 »

the corvair without a doubt isn't as "safe", technically speaking, as any modern car sure. I don't know if it even has airbags, and the steering wheel having a solid column instead of collapsible up until '67 could hurt, but overall it seems to me just don't drive like an idiot and you'll be fine. Sure there are things you have to watch out for, but regardless. But I'll take it over a 2014 honda or ford anyday, if it's what I enjoy then that's all I need to know, if I lived my life to be as comfortable and safe as possible, I'd die quite a regretful man.
Sparovair

Post by Sparovair »

What I need to say is that outside of the USA and Canada,our collector CORVAIRS in South Africa are as scarce as hens teeth, where ever I take either of my 2, a '62 Monza 900 coupe and my '65 Monza 4 door, people, young and old, male and female, all want to know about these unusual cars, some have never seen a CORVAIR, but some of the older ones have heard re Ralph Nader, now when I open the engine, all are amazed most, pointing to the fan belt configuration. My cars have been featured in a few magazines, including Communique, we are a few collectors in S A but of course the Rand to $ is at an all time high at this time, regarding spares, but we do stay in contact with one another.
"CORVAIRS FOREVER" sparovair
'62 Corvair Monza 900
'65 Corvair 4 door Monza
'82 BMW 635 CSi
'83 Mini mark 3
'78 Volks Wagen Beetle
All for the love and compassion of CORVAIRS FOREVER
freedo
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by freedo »

Akinon93 wrote:the corvair without a doubt isn't as "safe", technically speaking, as any modern car sure. I don't know if it even has airbags, and the steering wheel having a solid column instead of collapsible up until '67 could hurt, but overall it seems to me just don't drive like an idiot and you'll be fine. Sure there are things you have to watch out for, but regardless. But I'll take it over a 2014 honda or ford anyday, if it's what I enjoy then that's all I need to know, if I lived my life to be as comfortable and safe as possible, I'd die quite a regretful man.
huge improvement on safety with these cars is modern tires. i drive my corvair hard all the time and with modern cheap tires it grips very well in the corners and the back end almost never steps out unless i really try hard too.

that being said its always a great feeling to have older folks come up to you and say that knew someone who had one and died in a crash ::-):

Return to “Corvair Talk”