rust prevention

All Models and Years
bishop1073

rust prevention

Post by bishop1073 »

So I am curious what my fellow Corvair lovers view on this is. I now have my 64 Monza 2dr safely home in the garage and my head is just spinning with excitement on getting in on the restore. I am doing my research and I want to make sure that I do everything the right way first. So, my plan is to tear the car down to the frame, media-blast to check for hidden "gems" (meaning the exact opposite) in the body, fixing what needs to be fixed and then having it repainted. The question I have is what is everyones opinion on rust proofing / undercoating? I live in Kansas, so road salt is definitely an issue for cars here so I would like to do as much preventative measures to avoid complications down the road.

So whats others opinions and suggestions for protecting against the dreaded rust monster we all know and hate?

Thanks in advance
'64 Corvair Monza 2dr 4spd
Destination....Restoration
terribleted

Re: rust prevention

Post by terribleted »

I like coating all rusty under surfaces with POR 15 followed wet on wet (well almost wet read the POR instructions about topcoats) with a good rubberized undercoat in hidden areas as well as underside. Make sure not to clog rocker drains etc. and the one thing that rusts Corvairs the most is clogs of leaves in the hinge pillars. Even people who know better do not clean them out thoroughly thru the vents. hinge posts and rockers should be flushed.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Ted knows what he's talking about and will give you great advice.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

if is clean metal DO NOT use por 15 you would be better off painting it will rusoleum then regular undercoating, por 15 will flake off clean metal after it cures, por 15 works great on rusty metal where the surface is rough and there is something for it to "hold on" to, but dont waste your money using it on clean metal
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan
bishop1073

Post by bishop1073 »

Thanks for the tips. Mediablasting will be first to make sure there is no hidden rust / rot areas, followed by repairs and then paint. The big areas I am curious about is the entire undercarriage. I have a friend that build a kit car and had the entire undercarriage with some type of protective coating to keep from rusting. While sounds like a great idea, I was curious if any of you guys who have done full restores had done anything like that or what you had done to try and prevent rust.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I just try to keep it clean, garaged, and try to avoid driving in snow country when there is ice and snow — and ROAD SALT on the ground. I just want to avoid exposing the aging sheet metal to that corrosive element.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

After the restoration don't ever drive it when the roads are salted. Avoid driving in the rain if you have that luxury.

If you need to drive a Corvair when the roads are salted then get a beater Corvair and let that be the sacrificial car.

It will make you sick to your stomach to see new rust on a fully restored car and that WILL happen if you drive on salted roads.

I lived in Indianapolis for 30 years with only Corvairs as daily drivers for quite a few years and I know how hard it is to stop corrosion.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

My approach was:
-- Rotisserie
-- Media blasting
-- Primer
-- Top coat
-- Remove, media blast, and powder coat suspension parts
-- No salted roads
Bottom, before.jpg
Bottom, blasted 2.jpg
Undercarriage.jpg
Front suspension.jpg
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
bishop1073

Post by bishop1073 »

Good advice guys. That was kind of the plan to only drive it when it was nice once restored. The last thing I would want is rust or to get into an accident due to bad weather \ road conditions.

Dave - powder coating was definitely a thought of mine for the suspension parts. durable and looks great.

Thanks
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

I also used a wax-type, spray-on rustproofing inside the frame sections, doors, etc.
http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-heavy- ... amber.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”