Bondo Bucket production line

Anything Corvair related
mart

Bondo Bucket production line

Post by mart »

Looks like theres some sort of production line for bondo bucket corvairs still working in Pennsylvania.....whats with those guys? At least the seller is honest, but the guy who sold it to him on ebay previously was your typical PA bodge merchant
Attachments
$T2eC16VHJFoE9nh6oVUrBRt1W91wMQ~~60_14.JPG
$T2eC16VHJFoE9nh6oVUrBRt1W91wMQ~~60_14.JPG (1.45 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
terribleted

Re: Bondo Bucket production line

Post by terribleted »

mart wrote:Looks like theres some sort of production line for bondo bucket corvairs still working in Pennsylvania.....whats with those guys? At least the seller is honest, but the guy who sold it to him on ebay previously was your typical PA bodge merchant
Pennsylvania as well as some other states (New Hampshire for example) have vehicle inspection laws that make visible rust holes, jagged edges (badly bent body parts) and such things illegal. When it comes time for annual inspection the owners must repair faults or the car will not be re-registered for the next year. Often this results in a quick cheap body filler patch job rather than a real repair. I have seen a number cars from PA and NH that look good but are badly rusted. Often owners are not aware how bad they really are....no one has ever removed the years of old patch jobs to see how bad they really are.

Your car looks like an extreme example of this. However, I do not see how anyone that knows anything about a car could have represented it as solid. I have viewed your re-build thread. Nice metal work. I have done quite a number of similar things over the years, but not all on the same car:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
JasonC
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by JasonC »

I'm not to for sure where you're getting at with this, as your attachment needs a microscope to view it. But it almost seems that you think that people in PA are hacks?
1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp 4spd
1992 BMW 325ic
1997 Jeep Cherokee SE 4x4
dawgfishx wrote:Pennsylvanians...Annoying the British since 1775 ! ;-)
dawgfishx

Post by dawgfishx »

Pennsylvanians...Annoying the British since 1775 ! ;-)
mart

Post by mart »

JasonC wrote:I'm not to for sure where you're getting at with this, as your attachment needs a microscope to view it. But it almost seems that you think that people in PA are hacks?
It was an ebay ad, I thought clicking on it would bring the ad up, it did first time around, but now it wont do it, As for PA... in my limited experience, hack is too kind a word :assault: I still check ebay for possible purchases and as soon as I see PA as the location, I skip to the next ad
JasonC
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by JasonC »

mart wrote:
JasonC wrote:I'm not to for sure where you're getting at with this, as your attachment needs a microscope to view it. But it almost seems that you think that people in PA are hacks?
It was an ebay ad, I thought clicking on it would bring the ad up, it did first time around, but now it wont do it, As for PA... in my limited experience, hack is too kind a word :assault: I still check ebay for possible purchases and as soon as I see PA as the location, I skip to the next ad
Ignorance is pretty strong with you, isn't it?
1992 BMW 325ic
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I found the eBay listing that Martin was referring to, and it does appear to be another "Bondo Bucket", even in the words of the current owner!

1965 Chevrolet Corvair
500 Coupe in Monza trim

:link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrole ... 515wt_1066

eBay Item No: 321150074795

Item Location: Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

VIN: 101375L107195
Lesson learned: don't buy a car on Ebay without looking at it. I did, now I'm selling the car. This 65 Corvair left the LA plant as a white 500 with a blue interior. Now it's an Avocado Green with Black interior Monza wannabe. That doesn't make it a bad car; it's just not what I wanted. This is a good, driver-quality car that needs some TLC. 17,700 undocumented miles on the odometer. I have over 4 grand invested so far. PA Antique title in hand.

The Good:

This car has a solid undercarriage, the engine runs well and the 4-speed trans and clutch are good. New brakes and wheel cylinders all around, new fuel tank sending unit, new turn signal switch. Really nice interior and a repro owner's manual and shop books. Starts almost every time (see The Bad), gets lots of looks, smiles and "thumbs up." There are spare parts and a Sparkomatic 8-track I'll throw in, too.

The Bad:

There's a slight oil leak from the transmission (see photo). It's nothing that can't be fixed for cheap. It's going to need 4 tires soon. There's no jack. The horn works, but the horn button assembly in the steering wheel is no good. The wipers work, but the washers don't. It may need a starter solenoid or ignition switch: every once in a while it won't turn over. Let it sit for a few hours and Hey Presto, you're motoring. There is some slight rust on the outer door skins. And I mean slight.

The Ugly:

The body looks like someone gave Stevie Wonder a bucket of Bondo and turned him loose, followed by a ten year-old with spray cans of green paint. No kidding. Look at the photos.

The car is for sale locally, so I reserve the right to end the auction early. Car is currently in Newtown Square, Pa.

Ask questions! I will be completely honest in my answers! I can take pictures of any parts of the car and send them to you. Bid to BUY, not to look at it and change your mind!

$250 nonrefundable deposit due via Paypal within 48 hours of auction close. Balance due in certified bank funds within 7 days, car must be picked up within two weeks. Neither the car nor the title leave my possession until ALL funds have cleared my bank.
Both Martin and this eBay seller have been stung with Corvair-based "Pennsylvania Bondo Buckets". Certainly there are nice Corvairs for sale in Pennsylvania, as in other states. But there are unscrupulous and dishonest sellers out there too. Pennsylvania has plenty of road salt that can damage long-term residents like Corvairs. All of us need to be cautious when buying Corvairs. Many have been stung by hidden rust and corrosion damage, and we can all learn from the mistakes others have unfortunately made in purchasing cars without carefully checking its body condition. If Martin is venting some of his frustration, I can't say I blame him. At least he has not given up and is trying to make things right with his "Pennsylvania Bondo Bucket" that he imported to Great Britain. He is also documenting his efforts carefully here on the Corvair Forum. If it helps to vent some of that frustration and at the same time educate others, I think that is just fine! :doh: :clap:

Hang in there Mart -- you've brought it this far, and I'm looking forward to see how it turns out when completed! :tu:

The pictures in this eBay listing are not easily transferred to the Corvair Forum, but if you get a chance, browse the seller's listing. We can learn something from it.
:eek: :whoa:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
JasonC
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by JasonC »

That's fine and dandy that he's undertaking restoring a car and documenting it as he goes for others. But his logic of Pennsylvanian hate is quite off... So by his thinking, if I ever had a bad transaction with a person from England. I could just blame all of the UK for this one person that I got screwed from! See what I'm seeing?
1992 BMW 325ic
mart

Post by mart »

I suppose I shouldnt just point out PA, although from what Ive seen , it does seem to be the bodge capital of the USA. However,A guy I know imported a 59 vette from CA, fully restored , it took 3 days work in my friends shop to make it safe to drive, I guess restoration means different things to different folks....at least his vette looks pretty,I suppose ignorance comes in many forms, including hurling insults at those you have no experience of.
dawgfishx

Post by dawgfishx »

I dunno Mart, it seems you are hurling the insult of calling Our State of Pennsylvania, and the 13million people who live here... 'The Bodge Capital of the USA'...because ONE person from here sold you a car...that is ignorant.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Mart --

It is a conclusion that doesn't make any sense. I understand your frustration with the massive problems you have encountered with your "Pennsylvania Bondo Bucket". Your efforts to document your corrective work, to help other Corvair owners and prospective Corvair buyers to learn from your experiences, and to identify the specific used car dealer who sold you the Corvair and the circumstances that led to that purchase was a positive effort that made sense. It was a productive way to vent your frustrations and to educate the Corvair public too.

But pointing the finger of blame at the entire state of Pennsylvania makes no logical sense. Pennsylvania hosts numerous classic car shows in Hershey, Carlisle, etc. and hosts classic car museums too. There are many classic car enthusiasts in Pennsylvania, and to blame the state for a disreputable used car dealer in the Philadelphia area is not a credible idea. This negative back and forth between you and Pennsylvania residents who exhibit some pride in their state cannot succeed or produce any kind of positive outcome. I hope your original intent to expose what can happen to Corvair buyers who are not cautious enough will become your focus. I have used your comments and examples to help guide several prospective Corvair buyers -- especially in foreign country possible export/import situations like the UK and Italy -- so they can learn from what happened to you.

The Corvair Forum has a well-deserved reputation for being a good place for Corvair enthusiasts to hang out and to help each other. This argument against the state of Pennsylvania degrades that reputation. I hope that others can understand and sympathize with your frustrating and often painful situation, and that your productive and "lessons learned" effort will continue.

By the way, the Corvair below was purchased last year by a Corvair Forum new Corvair buyer in Florida. The seller was a private party in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area. The purchase was orchestrated via the Internet and the phone, and the car was shipped by transport to Florida. The result was a very happy new Corvair owner and no problems with the transaction. Again, blaming the state of Pennsylvania for one bad used car dealer in Pennsylvania is an argument that cannot be won.
013.JPG
001.JPG
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible.jpg
009.JPG
015.JPG
017.JPG
Good luck with your Corvair restoration in the UK! :tu:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
mart

Post by mart »

never the less, I cant afford to take the risk of buying from PA again, once bitten , twice shy
JasonC
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by JasonC »

Have fun shopping around in other states for nonbodged Corvairs lol.
1992 BMW 325ic
mart

Post by mart »

JasonC wrote:Have fun shopping around in other states for nonbodged Corvairs lol.
the next one wont be a Corvair, I want to go back to a Studebaker, at least the steel is thick enough to weld :rolling:
DAVECS1

Post by DAVECS1 »

If your buying a 40 to 50 year old car for less than 8-10K and expecting it to be totally rust free, it is my opinion, that those expectation may be high. Age takes it toll on these vehicles especially the older metallurgy. If the car is in good shape chances are money has been spent on storage and up keep and that is worth a bit to get good vintage iron.

I bought my car for a nifty price, but I was well aware the welder was going to get fired up at some point, also I plan on storing it in my climate controlled garage so its days of corroding are over.
1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 Speed
TexasUK
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TexasUK »

Gotta go west coast for rust free, everyone knows that. And get someone else to look at it before you buy, if you can't yourself.

Return to “Corvair Talk”