Name that retainer clip...

All Models and Years
dagdal1967
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Name that retainer clip...

Post by dagdal1967 »

I need to know the name of the clip that connects the arm which moves the windshield wipers to the actual rotating arm protruding from the back of the wiper motor (under the dash).

Was troubleshooting an electrical issue with the wiper motor circuit and was removing the motor. When I was pulling the clip off, it flew in I don't know what direction. I'm still going to scour the car for it, but if I can't find it, I need to find a new one.

Thanks in advance.
Doug Gault
Fort Worth, Texas

- 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium
- 1964 Palomar Red Corvair 900 Monza Club Coupe
- 1961 Lincoln Continental

The Air Cooled Addiction Continues...
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Name that retainer clip...

Post by bbodie52 »

It appears to have an unusual name, like "retainer". I could find an illustrated parts diagram and GM part number (shown below), but nothing in the Clark's catalog. I guess I have to refer you back to the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg http://www.corvairranch.com/ and see if they can produce the missing part. I know how you feel. I was working on my brake system on my Toyota Supra and managed to misplace one of those flat spring retaining clips that holds the flexible brake hose where it attaches to the rigid brake line. I searched the driveway extensively and could not find it. About three weeks later I happened to look down at my feet in the driveway... and there it was! UNBELIEVABLE!!

Anyway, the first illustration is from the original Chevrolet Parts Manual, and the second is from the 1961 Corvair Shop Manual, Section 10, page BODY 10-18. It appears in the second illustration that all three retainers are the same, and the instructions appear to refer to removing them with Truarc No. 22 pliers. If all three retainer clips are, in fact, identical, and if they are just standard Truarc clips...

Truarc "E" Type 863 Ring - Black Steel
ImageImage
perhaps you could take one of the remaining retainers to an auto parts store to see if they can produce a replacement in the correct size, or suggest a source.
Hope some of this information helps.

Left-click on image to enlarge...
Windshield Wiper Linkage.jpg
Windshield Wiper Linkage Removal.jpg
I have attached a Truarc Company catalog sampler (opening pages) for you to look at. The entire catalog file size is too large for me to attach in the Corvair Forum. If their retainer clips appear to be what you are looking for, you can download their entire 111 page fastener reference catalog in the Adobe Reader (.pdf) format at the following link...

:link: http://www.electronicfasteners.com/pdfs ... waldes.pdf
Attachments
TRUARC Company LLC - Retaining Rings Catalog (opening pages).pdf
TRUARC Company LLC - Retaining Rings Catalog (opening pages)
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
65corvaircopnj
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Name that retainer clip...

Post by 65corvaircopnj »

Usually I call them 'dammits'. Just like the little pin backers for military name tags and ribbons. Cause when you drop one and it bounces into unknown land that's what usually comes out of your mouth!
Chris
55 Belair Sedan
Used to have: 65 Monza Convertible; 66 Monza Cp w A/C ; 63 Monza Cp

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”