Transmission won't shift into 3/4

All Models and Years
MonzaDave

Transmission won't shift into 3/4

Post by MonzaDave »

Background -- It's a '65 4 speed that I had a guy who has a good reputation with manual transmissions rebuild (bearings, blocker rings, etc.)

Situation -- I reinstalled the drivetrain in the car without checking the transmission for proper operation.

Problem -- I can't get the tranny into 3 or 4. It's not the linkage --the problem persists with the linkage disconnected. Getting reverse after going through the strong detent is no problem. First and second, again, no problem. But I can't rotate the shift rod into the third and fourth gear position. It just goes a wee bit to the left and stops solid. Someone suggested that one of the shifter forks could be installed backwards.

Next -- Tranny fluid is draining and I'll remove the side cover. If that doesn't uncover the problem, the tranny is coming out and going back to the rebuilder.

Question -- Any guesses?
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Transmission won't shift into 3/4

Post by bbodie52 »

:dontknow: I've never rebuilt a manual transmission, so I can't rely on past experience to suggest anything.

:wrench: Maybe the attached Overhauling the 1961 Corvair 4-speed Transmission guide will help you to spot the problem, since it contains a lot of detailed illustrations and pictures. But I would be surprised if it can be corrected without removing the transmission and dismantling it again, unfortunately. The 1961 guide should still apply to your 1965, since the transmission design did not change until 1966. I have also attached the appropriate section from the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual. Hope this helps!
Attachments
Corvair - Overhauling the 1961 4-speed Transmission.pdf
Corvair - Overhauling the 1961 4-speed Transmission
(3.48 MiB) Downloaded 51 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 7 - FOUR SPEED TRANSMISSION.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 7 - FOUR SPEED TRANSMISSION
(3.34 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

Removing the side cover might void your warranty.

Just take it back...it's an internal problem.
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again
Hulkster Gets a Diesel
Zonker Gets Race Motor
Gem is Still my Favorite
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Now
Been Associated With Fifty+
Former Owner of SuperVair
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

Here is a picture with the side cover removed. The transmission is in neutral. The 1/2 shift fork appears to be positioned correctly (1/2 works fine as well as reverse), but the 3/4 fork is displaced the right. It's not solidly locked in that position because I can move it a smidge (a few ten-thousands probably). The shifter shaft can't be rotated far enough to allow the 3/4 fork to move. I can't see far enough down into the tranny to see what might be going on with the shifter shaft, but the tranny needs to come out anyway. No worry on the warrantee -- there was none and the work was done over a year ago.
IMG_2145s.jpg
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”