Well this sucks

Anything Corvair related
cad-kid

Re: Well this sucks

Post by cad-kid »

LonN wrote:On the hazard flasher topic... Mine has a button on the right side of the steering column (connecting into the turn signal switch) that, when pushed in operates the emergency flashers. Is this not stock? Or was it just EMs that didn't have emergency flashers?

:threadjacked; Hazard flashers came from the factory starring in 1967. 60-66 it was considered an accessory.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Swngaxl

Post by Swngaxl »

I once had two problems at the same time. It was weird. Engine started making a noise, and losing power. I thought I'd dropped a valve seat. In the parking lot, we pulled the valve cover, and everything looked tight. Then we looked some more, and found gas pouring out of the carb (stock turbo sidedraft.)

Turns out I had two problems. One was the float had come loose in the carb, not shutting off the fuel. And, on further inspection, that valve seat did come out.

It was a strange, frustrating day.
Phil

64 Spyder convertible
mart

Post by mart »

UNSAFE wrote:Edit --- I missed that last pic when I posted and that looks bad but isn't from the cam - I still think the cam is why the rocker was loose and needed the 2 additional turns.

>>>> Thiis rocker was extremely loose, but it didnt look like it backed off any threads, so i pulled it apart to check the pushrod and lifter. both seemed fine so i put it back together and it seemed like i had to tighten it down about 2 threads more than usual. <<<<<

That is most likely a bad lobe on the cam -- Not really much else that will cause that . :sad5:

The loose/blown out oil filter may just be coincidental if it didn't happen until after the noise .

It is possible though that the filter ring turned enough to reduce oil pressure and caused the cam lobe to go flat.

Now you want a turblow so you can blow it up all over again :rolling:
Thats exactly the fault Clarks reported,it blocks the holes off, they suggested trying to turn it before fitting to check if your new filter is faulty, Its doubtful that other less informed vendors would know of this, let alone pass the information on
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

...Check the cylinder with a compression tester. Zero = stuck valve/dropped valve seat. Good compression reading = collapsed hydraulic lifter or a pushrod problem. Be certain to loosen the rockers when testing the cylinder compression. You don't want the rocker arm so tight that it artificially holds the valve open all the time while you are running a cylinder compression test...
There has been a lot of conjecture about the cause of your grief. It does sound like the oil filter issue is a coincidence, and not related directly to the other problem. The source of the metal fragments in the oil pan is still undetermined. But I would start with a simple compression test on the cylinder in question. Any failure of the valve or valve seat, or a piston problem can be identified quickly by the results of the cylinder compression test. If the other cylinders are good – but you have zero compression in the questionable cylinder – then you will wind up pulling the cylinder head to complete your investigation and begin the repair process. If that cylinder compression turns out to be good, then the other theories regarding the camshaft, hydraulic lifter, etc. will have to be investigated.

Good luck! :dontknow: :fingerscrossed: :thumbup:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

At this point checking the compression seems a bit of a waste of time . That motor will need to be completely disassembled and inspected due to all the trash in the oil.

When testing I usually prefer a vacuum test over a compression test. In some cases particularly with a bad cam you may still show compression even tho the cyl is dead such as if an exhaust valve is not opening.

My favorite test on a running engine is a simple cylinder balance test.

Would like to see a better pic of all the debris in the pan - And I'd still bet the cam lobe is flat on the cylinder mentioned above , There just isn't much else that would cause a rocker to be loose while the nut is tight and then require an additional 2 turns to readjust and now more threads showing on the rocker stud , except maybe the stud pulling out of the head . He mentioned the pushrod was straight and the lifter appeared fine.
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
notched

Post by notched »

That debris looks like a bearing failure (i.e. rod or main).
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
boatbob2

Post by boatbob2 »

I had a clarks oil filter come apart,about 3 months ago,cost me an engine,lite didnt come on until engine locked up.... :nono: :banghead: :angry:
Augie

Post by Augie »

boatbob2 wrote:I had a clarks oil filter come apart,about 3 months ago,cost me an engine,lite didnt come on until engine locked up.... :nono: :banghead: :angry:

All the more reason the first thing I do to my car is an adapter to take spin on filters.

The Second thing is cut some springs.
1962 Monza 900 4dr Powerglide
mart

Post by mart »

Augie wrote:
boatbob2 wrote:I had a clarks oil filter come apart,about 3 months ago,cost me an engine,lite didnt come on until engine locked up.... :nono: :banghead: :angry:

All the more reason the first thing I do to my car is an adapter to take spin on filters.

The Second thing is cut some springs.
the filters in question are the spin on type
Augie

Post by Augie »

I plan on using an adaptor that accepts spin on filters I can buy at my LAP for 3.99 even if that means I have to fabricate something myself.
1962 Monza 900 4dr Powerglide
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

If you want the adapter to allow use of a modern spin-on filter you can hunt eBay or go to Clark's but the OP first needs to find out where all the metal debris originated.

Part number C5934N: SPIN-ON OIL FILTER ADAPTOR-60-69 ALL INCLUDES NEEDED GASKET & SEAL
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Augie wrote:I plan on using an adaptor that accepts spin on filters I can buy at my LAP for 3.99 even if that means I have to fabricate something myself.
I initially went to the Clark's Corvair Parts website to get you the information on their aftermarket spin-on oil filter adapter. In the process I discovered that Clark's has discontinued their regular C47C "Generation 2" oil filter, and they have reverted back to selling a "1st Generation" filter, P/N: C47CA. There is also a picture that states "At this time, please order C47CA. 2nd generation coming soon."

So I don't know what the problem is with the original 2nd-Generation C47C oil filter – but I have several of them in my garage that I have not used yet. This has me concerned that there may be a defect that forced them to be discontinued. I intend to send a message to Clark's Corvair Parts to ask them about this.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=27A
Part number C5934N: SPIN-ON OIL FILTER ADAPTOR-60-69 ALL INCLUDES NEEDED GASKET & SEAL

Weight: 1 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 27A
Price: $ 47.75

Part number C5936: OIL FILTER FOR ALL SPIN-ON ADAPTORS

Catalog Pages(s): 27A,OT-40
Price: $ 5.95

Part number C47CA: CLARK OIL FILTER-1ST GENERATION *COMES WITH C3017 GSKT **ZDDP SUGGESTED C379X

Notice: Review this part carefully for additional information or a possible "Problem".

Catalog Pages(s): SUP-33
Price:
1 - 2 $ 5.20
3 - 5 $ 5.00
6 - 11 $ 4.65
12+ $ 4.55

Part number C47C: CLARK OIL FILTER - GENERATION 2 *COMES WITH C3017 GASKET

Note: Sorry - Part Discontinued. Check cross reference section below for substitutes.

Catalog Pages(s): 12,27A,SUP-33
Price:
1 - 2 $ 6.95
3 - 5 $ 6.70
6 - 11 $ 6.25
12+ $ 6.15

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=27B
Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

As I mentioned, I sent a message to Clark's about their oil filter changes. Within six hours they sent me a response. Here is their response regarding the existing Clark's C47C oil filters...
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:39 PM
To: Brad Bodie
Subject: Re: Technical Service Form

You should be fine with those filters, we are simply making some upgrades and changes to the filters for the next run of these and calling them Generation II.

Clarks Corvair Parts
400 Mohawk Trail
Shelburne Falls, Ma 01370
413-625-9776
413-625-8498 Fax
http://www.corvair.com

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:45 AM
Subject: Technical Service Form

> name: Brad Bodie

> corvair_year: 1966
>
> engine_year: 1966
>
> horsepower: 140
>
> number_of_carbs: 4

> body: Convt
>
> trans: 4 Speed
>
> comments: On May 26th of last year I purchased six Clark's C47C oil filters for my Corvair. I have one of them on my Corvair now, and still have five more unused. Just recently I read the following comment on the Corvair Forum: "I had a clarks oil filter come apart,about 3 months ago,cost me an engine,lite didnt come on until engine locked up...." I now discover that you have discontinued the Generation 2 C47C oil filter, substituted a C47CA 1st Generation filter, and posted a prompt that tells us to order the C47CA filter, and states that a 2nd Generation filter is coming soon! My question: Is there a problem with the original 2nd Generation C47C filter? Should I stop using them?
Brad Bodie

Return to “Corvair Talk”