Just found your site, thanks Google!

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
68 hotrod

Just found your site, thanks Google!

Post by 68 hotrod »

Greetings, you will all get to know me as 68 hotrod. Not a name chosen because I own a 68 conv. corvair, but because of my 68 427 conv. Impala.

I stumbled across this forum, and just had to join. Thanks for being here.
As I said, I own a 68 conv., and I am about to embark on the joys of restoration.
Classics are my favorite. This will not be my first project, but never before a Corvair. It just looked like fun to do, and should be a blast driving it along Hwy 1 (CA) where I live.
My neighbors all laughed when I towed this home in the middle of the night, stating I was trying to hide it. Really, it was just a long drive from where I bought it.

Looking forward to speaking with you over the comming months and years ... now go for a drive! That's why we do this, right?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Just found your site, thanks Google!

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2:
Welcome to the Corvair Forum, and congratulations on your recently acquired 1968 Corvair!

I would like to encourage you to take a little time and tell us about yourself and the Corvair you purchased. Pictures of the exterior, interior, trunk, engine compartment, etc. would be great! I hope you will post some pictures of your Corvair. Members of the Corvair Forum have an insatiable appetite for pictures, so hopefully you can help us out!
I love Corvair Pics 2 Small.jpg
I love Corvair Pics 2 Small.jpg (37.52 KiB) Viewed 446 times
Where along the California coast do you live? I used to live in Ventura County – initially in Camarillo until I moved on to the Point Mugu NAS, which is right on the Pacific coast. I used to love motorcycling and bicycling on the Pacific Coast Highway, and whenever I would have to travel to Northern California I would usually take the PCH route so I could just enjoy the journey. Before I joined the Air Force in 1972 I lived in Thousand Oaks and graduated from Thousand Oaks High School

I now live in North Carolina -- in western NC on Lake Chatuge, about 100 miles north of Atlanta. I currently own Corvair number ten, which I purchased last June. (If you want to read a brief personal biography that outlines my family background and our experiences with Corvairs, go to CORVAIR FORUM > Introductions > New from Lake Chatuge North Carolina. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4032)

How would you evaluate your personal mechanical skills, and things like tool availability. Do you intend to do all your own work – including bodywork, if needed? Do you have a place to work on your car? The reason I ask is that the more information you provide about yourself, the easier it is for members of the Corvair Forum to form meaningful comments, advice, and other responses to your questions. The type of answer that we might provide when answering an experienced mechanic would be entirely different than it would be if directed to an inexperienced person who wants to learn to work on his own Corvair. And of course some Corvair owners have no intention of working on their own cars, but instead choose to hire a mechanic to do the work. So an answer directed to this type of owner would be more informational than instructional. For these reasons it is helpful if you take the time to tell us things like how you plan to maintain and repair your Corvair, and whether or not you have any previous experience in working with classic cars.

Here are some good Internet sources that I have found to be useful, and some additional links for Corvair-related information:

Downloadable Corvair Shop Manuals, Parts Manuals, Service Manuals, etc.
http://1969corvair.com/techpages/Corvai ... Index.html

Early Model Corvair Shop Manual & Other Useful Manuals
http://www.corvair.org/chapters/corvanatics/manuals.php

Joining CORSA (Corvair Society of America) and a local Corvair club chapter, if there is one near you, is another good way to see Corvairs and to learn more about them. You might check out the CORSA chapters in your area. There many CORSA chapters in California, so you may discover that there is one near you. Contacting a local club and making Corvair-knowledgeable friends can often be a big help. Internet-based help is really great, but there is nothing like personal face-to-face contact and advice/guidance on a local level.
CORSA (Corvair Society of America) Chapter Locator
Locating a local CORSA chapter near you can be very helpful, and attending meetings, parties, Corvair shows, etc. can greatly add to the enjoyment of your Corvair
https://www.corvair.org/index.php?optio ... crmSID=3_u

Clark's Corvair Parts
http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.cgi

Rafee Corvair
http://www.rafeecorvair.com

Corvair Ranch (Used Parts, Machine Shop, etc.)
http://www.corvairranch.com/

Corvair Corsa (Good technical and historical information.)
Corvair Corsa is a plentiful source of Corvair history, information and pictures. Here, you can explore the entire collection of production Corvairs including the Corsa, Monza, Monza Spyder, Corvair 700, 500, and the Corvair 95 truck series.
http://www.corvaircorsa.com

This Web site seems to have the most comprehensive and well-researched data for fitting various tires and wheels to EM (Early Model, 1960-64) and LM (Late Model, 1965-69) Corvairs:
Sizing Corvair Wheels and Tires: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html

:welcome:
Again, welcome to the Forum. We look forward to hearing from you again. :chevy:

:BradBodie:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Right ON!.....welcome! And congrats on buying that '68. Wow....'68 427 convertible too? Oooohh....that's a rare one! Well, hopefully you don't discover too many unpleasant surprises with your 'vair. They are so simple, at least like wiring problems and stuff. The engine's are super-simple but I'm sure you'll pick it up quick if you've done some restos in the past. Again, welcome!
Last edited by flat6_musik on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome! Glad you have you here.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
nonadercaveman

Post by nonadercaveman »

Welcome: my name is mark I live in Costa Mesa, CA I owen a stock 1960 corvair 700 sedan known as a caveman, I am very blessed to be able to drive the coast year round. I belong to Vintage Corsa of Orange County/South Coast Corsa of Torrence If your in the area look us up V-8 Corvairs are Welcome
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

68 hotrod wrote:Greetings, you will all get to know me as 68 hotrod. Not a name chosen because I own a 68 conv. corvair, but because of my 68 427 conv. Impala.

I stumbled across this forum, and just had to join. Thanks for being here.
As I said, I own a 68 conv., and I am about to embark on the joys of restoration.
Classics are my favorite. This will not be my first project, but never before a Corvair. It just looked like fun to do, and should be a blast driving it along Hwy 1 (CA) where I live.
My neighbors all laughed when I towed this home in the middle of the night, stating I was trying to hide it. Really, it was just a long drive from where I bought it.

Looking forward to speaking with you over the comming months and years ... now go for a drive! That's why we do this, right?
:welcome2: to the site. Pretty cool that you got two '68's. The '68 Corvair is pretty rare too. They didn't make too may Corvairs in those later years of production and even fewer Convertibles. Your neighbors may have teased you but you'll be amazed at how much positive attention that Corvair will bring you. Keep us posted on the Resto.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)

Return to “Introductions”