Changing Shifter Bushing On EM

All Models and Years
kenshapiro2002

Changing Shifter Bushing On EM

Post by kenshapiro2002 »

I just bought the entire shifter rebuild kit from Clarks for my '61 Lakewood. I haven't busted open the bottom covers yet, but want some guidance beforehand. nine of the ten parts in the kit go at the rear end of the shift assembly...only the white nylon bushing goes in the front. It's that one I'm wondering about. Will the entire shift rod need to come out of the car to get that in place? Guessing I should mark the assembly as it comes apart so the shifter remains in roughly the same place?
Thanks,
Ken
kenshapiro2002

Re: Changing Shifter Bushing On EM

Post by kenshapiro2002 »

Nobody? :banghead:
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

I don't know about a 61 but on my 65 you have to drop the whole shift rod/tube as an assembly to get the shift rod out to replace the bushing, it isn't hard or time consuming to do just 4 bolts that hold t to the shifter base and 2 at the rear of the shift tube
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

To change the round bushing at the front of the shift rod you will need to remove the assembly from the car. Mark where the coupler to the transmission enters the rod for depth and twist as this adjustment assuming it is functioning ok now is a very good starting place if function changes with a new bushing in place. Remove the couple and slide the bushing/bracket off. Clean up the rod and reassemble with a new bushing. The shifter it self does not have to be removed.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
kenshapiro2002

Post by kenshapiro2002 »

Thanks to both of you.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”