Corvair of the Year 2012

1960-1964 & 1965-1969 Corvair of the Year
Forum rules
Welcome to the Online People's Choice Corvair Show.
1960-1964 & 1965-1969 Corvair of the Year.
All entrants in these contests have won Corvair of the Month during the current calendar year.
In order to Vote for your favorite Corvair you will have to have posted at least three times in any forum.

Vote for Corvair of the Year 2012

Poll ended at Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:49 pm

JANUARY - 1965 MONZA COUPE: CRAZY GEORGE HERTLEIN
24%
FEBRUARY - 1965 CORSA CONV 180: JON & CHRISTINE BUCK
2%
MARCH - 1960 700 COUPE: ROBERT JENNINGS
15%
APRIL - 1965 MONZA 95: ED BARTLETT
4%
MAY - 1965 MONZA COUPE 140: JASON CARNS
8%
JUNE - 1961 LAKEWOOD: RALF VERHEES
21%
JULY - 1960 700 COUPE: CYNTHA KOREC
5%
AUGUST - 1966 CORSA CONV: BRAD BODIE
9%
SEPTEMBER - 1965 CORSA COUPE 140: NORM WITTE
7%
OCTOBER - 1965 MONZA COUPE 110: REIDMIER
3%

Total votes: 95

Ragtop Man

Re: Corvair of the Year 2012

Post by Ragtop Man »

I think Brad is onto something here but obviously too late for this year . Maybe Scott could do a poll on it . I had been feeling that , being a LM guy mostly , how could I be fair or partial ? I knew , in order to do so , that in my mind I had to pick between two finalists of my own with one being a LM and one an EM . This isn't too hard for me really though because I really do like both and am very partial to Lakewoods and Rampsides but an LM ragtop really does it for me . But even so , if a really clean truck was in the running I would vote against a LM . I say this to make the point that having to have yet another division for FC might be taking it a little too far IMHO . I say include them with the EM's . Brads math in comparing the model to voter ratio right after this election reminds me of the electoral college though :doh: :eek:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I was thinking the same thing about the electoral college when I was analyzing the small numbers here. Even though the majority of voters here favor LM Corvairs, an EM may win Corvair of the Year because of the smaller division among EM candidates. Imagine living in California if you were a Republican, knowing that the electoral college ws going to shread your vote. How do you motivate Republicans to bother voting at all in California? I was also thinking that the addtional LM candidates effectively dilute the vote of like-minded LM fans, while EM fans can focus their attention (and votes) with fewer choices. It is similar to a third-party candidate in an election. The two most-similar candidates have to divide the available votes between them, while the opposite candidate receives all available votes from his/her party. Even if that party receives fewer total votes, that total may be higher than the divided totals earned by the two similar candidates. (Remember Bush and Ross Perot dividing their Conservative/Republican/Independent votes while Clinton collected all of his like-minded Democrat and Independent votes? Bush and Perot had similar political views, so the voters divided between them, pushing Clinton, a political opposite, into the lead).

Anyway, enough of political analogies. We're talking Corvairs here. The reason I brought up a separate FC category is that I believe that van and rampside owners are at a distinct disadvantage when competing against the cars. There are simply more car owners competing and voting. How many FC vehicles have even come close to winning in any of the monthly competitions? And like a California Republicans, how many FC owners are discouraged from even trying to enter their vehicles? If they feel they have no chance at serious consideration, because of their minority status, they may just opt out! Separate groups, or categories might encourage more participation. ::-):
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

BOY, :clap: you guys have really thought this out some. It really is a mute issue for this year. Maybe Scott set up something so every one could have some input. I think you got some great ideas and makes sense and a larger playing field. :tu: I was looking at the number of members , look at the amount of votes present and past months. Granted , I donated an nice piece of art and Ralf, he is always there for a insentive.... Maybe some others as well donate as well something from different parts of the country.... I talked with Scott quite some time ago about the saw art in hopes to are more involvement. Maybe a award for each class would be cool also.. Presently , this years photos are kick ass......... Thanks Scott Great work. But the thoughts and brain storming for the next year is a awsome idea..... I am sure for it.......
Yeah its a hornets nest , smart me
Yeah its a hornets nest , smart me
maybe I offer this next year :think: :dontknow: :think: Crazy George ps. I shook it , nothing came out :doh:
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Let me throw this in the mix while we are brainstormin'...

Project of the Month

... ok go!
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

How about one COTM for 1960-1964, and a second for 1965-1969 and let the vehicle year decide which poll they get in?

If we had enough entries it would be great to progress through the years as we progress through the months. ie Jan 1960, Feb 1961, March 1962 through October for 1969, that again leaves November and December for the COTY and to get the artwork finalized in time for Dec Christmas ordering. I don't think we have enough cars/entries to do that.

I would love to re-invent the COTM and hopefully gain the excitement the contest and entrants deserve.
Keep the ideas coming.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Hmm, I should think more before I type..lol I'm getting way ahead of things and complicating it.

How about we run it as is until COTY. Then in November we have a COTY 1960-1964 and a COTY for 1965-1969 and let the year of the vehicle determine which COTY it gets in. We'll then eliminate the November Featured car in lieu of having the 1960-1964 COTY.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

It is hard to guess about the level of participation that will be inspired and achieved among Corvair owners. There will always be some degree of uncertainty until whatever format is decided upon is implemented. If it is widely promoted in a way that clearly spells out fairness in the rules and an opportunity to promote your own Corvair in its own special class, competing with other Corvairs in the same class, I am hoping that that sense of group pride that I've seen among EM or LM owners, 1960 Caveman Corvair owners, or van owners will be extended to this competition so that each distinctive group of Corvair owners can compete among themselves to show off their "best of the best". Also, competing only once each quarter should allow them to focus entries in the specified category less frequently, concentrating their efforts so that the demand for LM, EM or FC entrants would only be presented with a "buildup" once every three months. Entries could be submitted at any time during the three month quarter, but would not be presented to the Forum for evaluation until the appropriate quarterly contest month. Hopefully this would encourage a greater number of contestants, approaching the ten entries desired within the category each quarter.

Perhaps some guidelines for each entry content would help too. I've noticed that some entries consist of one or more photos but almost no written material. Others provide written detail about the car's special features, while other owners make an effort to describe their own personal interest in Corvairs as well (a personal story). All three elements add to the interest and quality of the entry. Perhaps a brief set of guidelines could be posted to encourage entries that address all of these elements. Not necessarily a rigid structure for an entry, but guidelines to try to encourage a range of photographs coupled with a written description of the car and its special features, and a personal description of why or how Corvairs are important to the owner. More than just a car show, the owner's personal involvement and commitment to the hobby is important too. That would allow each entrant to express their own special Corvair story.

Just continuing to brainstorm and throw out ideas for your consideration... :think: ::-):
Brad Bodie
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

:tongue: Gee , no faster than checking and reading Scott , signing on , bbodie52 your quick , I was thinking in the line of some guide lines and make them simple. Lots of thoughts out there. Certainly it appears that there is some room to improve. Them are good ideas as well..... I still like the idea of some more incentives and maybe second and third place as well may be thrown in the mix..... The drives and passion for the car should be a powerful incentive. Stories and back grounds can be a large factor.....you guys must have fast computors not this guy... I quess no one wants the hornets nest.. That thought of leaving as is till the end in Nov. sounds like a much simplier approach.... CG :think:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

For incentives, and other ideas that would encourage and attract increased participation, I was trying to ask the basic question: "What attracts participation in the annual CORSA convention?" For that matter, what do Corvair owners like about attending any local or statewide Corvair club get-together? Some of it is social, and meeting other Corvair owners face-to-face and seeing, examining and discussing their cars is also a part of it. Car shows and contests and the opportunity to show-off their own car(s) to other Corvair owners and to get feedback from other owners and aficionados is a valued part too. We are trying to create some of that attraction in a computerized, virtual Internet world. Obviously, some things cannot be duplicated here, but a virtual concourse d'elegance and the competition, judging and recognition that goes with it can certainly be simulated here... and with a wider, global audience too! The trophies and rewards will be different, but also need to be provided for in some way. The front license plates, calendars, discount awards, and the custom-painted saw all fit into that category and this type of thing also is an important part of the Corvair Forum program. Of course, if broadening participation and adding categories increases the number of winners and prizes, participating vendors who grant prize awards must agree to the expanded participation too.

So I would recommend using various aspects of Corvair conventions and Corvair club get-togethers as a model and source of ideas for Corvair of the Month and Corvair of the Year in this Corvirtual world contest.
Brad Bodie
jennirw
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by jennirw »

I think we should create a poll and place it on the "BOARD INDEX" page to attempt to get opinions of all the Corvair Forum members, not just the ones that are currently using the COTM & COTY.
This poll may look something like this:
COTY
O - EM & LM winners
O - EM, LM & FC winners
O - 1st, 2nd & 3rd place winners
O - Place the voting on the "Board Index" page at top
O - Have thumbnails of vehicles on voting line
O - etc

COTM
O - Place the voting on the "Board Index" page at top
O - Automaticly add previous month's runner-up to next month
O - Have EM, LM & FC winners when have enought entries.

If you think this is a good idea please make suggestions on what the poll questions should be
1960 700 COUPE
ADMINISTRATOR- "1960 CAVEMAN CORVAIR" Facebook
ADMINISTRATOR- "CAVEMAN CORVAIRS, THE 1960 GROUP" CORSA special interest chapter 003 Facebook
ADMINISTRATOR- "DETROIT AREA CORVAIR CLUB (DACC)" Facebook
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

:wave: :wave: Hi ya Jennirw , thats not bad. I did mention up above having Scott or who ever set something up. :think: This is pretty good. :tu: :tu: But everyone is welcome to share there thoughts. :dontknow: Just happen to be the few on now. I like the idea and brake down of the polling. :clap: There must me alot of other factors and maybe guide lines to think out. :think: Maybe a min. in entries before it becomes a class.... :shhh: Were all thinking and need many more of the members thoughts..... Come on guys. :wave: We can make this work for next year. :guitar: :guitar: Now for this year, while I am on , thank you for your votes... :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: I think sometimes I should of bought JasenC car when it was up forsale..... :sad5: I like that blue but I have white for now.....My Dad would be in another haven if he could see her and all these other fine corvairs..... :clap: :clap: guys we know this calender this year will be kick ass.. I am possible with more input and thoughts from everyone tha next years will be down right AWSOME with all these ideas and improvment... now all we need this year, is for more to get on board and vote........ Crazy George :drool:
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

dammm to mutch text for me hahahahaha i'd rather look at the calander pictures :-)
*and crazy george you are in 3 place now i'm 4th :-( may the best man win hahahha)
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

:dontknow: Say dont worry TikiRaft first place last place third second,,,first is nice,,,,but its all fun. Were all winners..My wife thought I got done farming last year, she says now I am raising corvairs :rolling: She knows I am not just hunting game around the state, she knows I am hunting corvairs in alot of places and farms back fields or the back towns I travel thru. So dont fret, its not over. There seems to be quite a few votes in , but the rest of the membership has not cast in there vote..The printing of the calender should sell like hot honey buns. Awsome group of cars this year..... CG
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

ctryewe wrote::dontknow: Say dont worry TikiRaft first place last place third second,,,first is nice,,,,but its all fun.
:rolling: yes CG it is fun and i'm enjoying it, but it was nice to see you clime in votes hahahaha thats why i mentioned it , now we there are 3 in 2nd may to put our votes together and 3 winners hahahaha ::-):

CG i email you today, about the "last half year" and indeed we need to catch up :tu:
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

:clap: :guitar: :clap: TikiRalf, see, some members must of come on board after the 15th........ :tu: :tu: now where is the rest of the members. Nice job on the car....I am no where close to that stage... I have the engines to take care of. Jack has two more sets of 140 heads to do his mojo on. That will give me 4 sets done. Presently , I bought a Bridgeport milling machine from my good high school friend for a gran. Super deal.....BIG & HEAVY... I cant retrive it till spring down in Jersey .....than maybe I can do some of the machine work some day :pray: :pray: haa hhaa.. :rolling: .looking forward to catch up .... send me also best your time and a number to call at a later date. Had a good long time talk with flat6 last night. I am back around more now .. So lets get some more members voting and instead of just looking.....come on guys (gals) check out all these pretty babies.......LETS ALSO GET SOME RECORD INVOLMENT............ TikiRaft wants that gift card and saw art......... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: Crazy George
JasonC
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by JasonC »

Nice lineup!!!

But my name is Jason Carns. Not Cams lol.
1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp 4spd
1992 BMW 325ic
1997 Jeep Cherokee SE 4x4
dawgfishx wrote:Pennsylvanians...Annoying the British since 1775 ! ;-)

Return to “Corvair of the Year Calendar Page (Sponsored by Clark's Corvair Parts)”