Holley 390 CFM or Back to 4 Carb set up?

All Models and Years
markdamon63

Holley 390 CFM or Back to 4 Carb set up?

Post by markdamon63 »

Hey all, I am starting preliminary planning on the rebuild of my 63 Monza Spyder (engine replaced with 65 140hp by prior owner) and I am wanting some feedback on whether to stay with the 4 to 1 intake adapter with a 390 CFM Holley or go back to the 4 carb setup. (by the way, the choke set up was removed from the Holley for some reason, does not have manual or electric choke) Not afraid to jack with carbs to get the set up right, just wondering what others are using and how they like what they are using. :dontknow:

Mark M
63 Monza Spyder
Mark M
63 Corvair Monza Spyder
East Texas
PHX65CorsaHT

Re: Holley 390 CFM or Back to 4 Carb set up?

Post by PHX65CorsaHT »

First off, where do you live? Cold climate go to 4 carb setup. Warm weather state you can keep the centermount. The general consensus you will find out there these days is to go back the stock 4 carb set up. You can modify the stockers for more better performance. I live in Phoenix and I am running a centermount. My car is running absolutely awesome right now. I never could have dialed it in like it is on my own no matter how much time I spent on the carb. I went to a carb set up expert (lots of time pit crewing for race cars etc) he spent quite a few hours on it and oh was it worth it. My engine is built, 280 cam,
elec ignition. My carb is a Holley 2 barrel 500CFM (also no choke).
Cave Creek AZ---75 Datsun PU, 82 Toyota Supra, 70 Nova,
65 Chevy PU, 72 Suburban,
96 4Runner, 06 Sequoia, 65 Corvair Coupe
markdamon63

Post by markdamon63 »

I am in East Texas halfway between Dallas/Ft Worth and Shreveport Louisiana.
Mark M
63 Corvair Monza Spyder
East Texas
markdamon63

Post by markdamon63 »

By the way thanks for the feedback. :-)
Mark M
63 Corvair Monza Spyder
East Texas
marvgarr

Post by marvgarr »

i would keep the 4-1 easy to tune and only one carb to go bad since you live in texas should not be a problem if it is make a heat riser like the 60 corvair had to keep it warm in the cold months just my .02
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

I think this subject is one that comes up quite often, and it seems that about at least 80% of people recommend going back to the stock 4-carb setup. I don't hate the stock setup, but I really like the centermount, mostly because the carb stays cool (no fuel percolation) and you never get that "gassy" smell on a hot day from the engine compartment. That's always bugged me when I'd park my car and walk around the backside and get a whiff of gasoline with the 4-carb setup.....hated that.

However, 4 fresh carbs and you driving the car on a regular basis, it should be pretty nice and responsive, that's for sure. I seem to remember my secondaries' linkage didn't always open all the way at times too, until I played with it. I think it's the '65 140 linkage that's kinda sucky, if I remember correctly.
markdamon63

Post by markdamon63 »

Thanks, have seen some 4 to 1 risers with oil routed to a compartment just under the carb for a little warmth for the carb and a double benefit of cooling the oil a little. Anyone have an experience with that set up?

Mark M
Mark M
63 Corvair Monza Spyder
East Texas
PHX65CorsaHT

Post by PHX65CorsaHT »

I do not have experience with that setup but have seen pictures online. Do some searches on it. There are times in the winter in texas you get that arctic air come down. Car won't run real well when that happens without the oil warmer. In Az it rarely gets below 60 degrees so I dont worry about it much. Pic of my setup, loving it! :burnout:
Attachments
Old School Speed Equipment 140 Corsa
Old School Speed Equipment 140 Corsa
markdamon63

Post by markdamon63 »

VERY SWEET! Hope I can get mine (my wife's, lol)looking that good. I have until March of 2014 to complete the surprise 25th wedding anniversary gift for her.
Mark M
63 Corvair Monza Spyder
East Texas
PHX65CorsaHT

Post by PHX65CorsaHT »

Must be great lady...if this was my wifes 25th anniv gift there wouldnt be a 26th! Better get on it it sounds like its a ways off but its not. I've had my corvair for 18 months, put untold hours into it. but I enjoy most of the work and it's sure worth it when you get a nice end result. Don't hesitate ask questions along the way lots of helpful and knowledgeable corvair peeps on the forum. Post pics too. I'm always amazed how the members can dissect minute details on members engines, undercarriages, etc.
markdamon63

Post by markdamon63 »

Ok here is the story, My wife's first car was a 1963 Corvair Monza Spyder. Her and her father (now passed away) built the car together and she drove it throughout her high school years. When she graduated high school, she was given a 1975 Olds Cutlass Supreme and the Corvair went back to her dad, who drove it for a few years and then parked it at his shop. The car set there for many years until me and my wife married in 1989. Several years after we married, my wife asked her mom (should have asked dad) if we could get or buy the car so that we could restore it. She refused (was afraid that we would fix it up and sell it). Long story short, the Corvair continued to go down hill, was struck by a fallen tree (breaking out all the glass) and then rusted out beyond repair. Her father passed away and in the process of cleaning up his shop, her mom had it hauled off and 3 others that her dad had bought for parts to the scrapyard without letting us know.

Wife's 25th Anniversary gift in March of 2014!
Mark M
63 Corvair Monza Spyder
East Texas
PHX65CorsaHT

Post by PHX65CorsaHT »

Oh she will be lovin it then, good man! Keep my thoughts on the mother in-law to myself.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”