Engine Shrouds - Necessary Evil or Blessing?

All Models and Years
markdamon63

Engine Shrouds - Necessary Evil or Blessing?

Post by markdamon63 »

Hey all, got a 63 Monza Spyder with a 65 140 hp engine (or at least the heads, lol) that all the shrouding is missing except that on top of the motor encasing the cooling fan. Now I am in Texas and it does not get that cold here and if it does, it does not last long so having heat in the car is not a priority. Wondering if there is any advantage to having all the shrouding and thermostats in place? :dontknow: Would it help the engine warm up faster? :dontknow: (I am betting yes) would it cause the engine to run hotter in the summer? (does get hot in Texas) Looking for any all input and opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Mark M
Mark M
63 Corvair Monza Spyder
East Texas
flat6_musik

Re: Engine Shrouds - Necessary Evil or Blessing?

Post by flat6_musik »

I would say that that perimeter rubber seal is vital to keep the hot expelled air from below the engine from coming back up and getting recirculated into the fan. I'm a big fan of removing the lower shrouds though, the ones that enclose the exhaust manifolds. I have no heater but I doubt I'll ever suck a valve seat.
PHX65CorsaHT

Post by PHX65CorsaHT »

Agree with flat6 no lower shrouds in the summer. I would get some when you find some though. I say this because it can get cold in Texas in the winter. It would be of benefit in the winter to have lower shrouds. The upper tin and perimeter seal for sure get those in stalled.
Cave Creek AZ---75 Datsun PU, 82 Toyota Supra, 70 Nova,
65 Chevy PU, 72 Suburban,
96 4Runner, 06 Sequoia, 65 Corvair Coupe
markdamon63

Post by markdamon63 »

Thanks, not sure where they went to, were not installed when I bought the car, will get the uppers and lowers, use them appropriately! :tu:

Mark M
Mark M
63 Corvair Monza Spyder
East Texas
PHX65CorsaHT

Post by PHX65CorsaHT »

Relative to this thread: are 110 and 140 lower shrouds different? I have some 110 lower shrouds but non on my 140 engine? Curious cause I may put the 110 lower shrouds on this winter (dec 15 to jan 30 suckas, ave hi temp 70) if they are compatible with the 140 i'm running.
Cave Creek AZ---75 Datsun PU, 82 Toyota Supra, 70 Nova,
65 Chevy PU, 72 Suburban,
96 4Runner, 06 Sequoia, 65 Corvair Coupe

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”