64 Corvair caught on fire bigtime! What do I do now?

All Models and Years
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: 64 Corvair caught on fire bigtime! What do I do now?

Post by Crazy George »

:dontknow: :dontknow: So how are we doing ED. :fingerscrossed: After talking to ya the other day , seem like your making headway. :tu: Lets see some new pictures to see where we are at. The cover is off last talking to you, lets see how it looks. How the cleaning up coming? :assault: Are you killing it? Did you find a jack yet? And if you don't have one in the trunk or spare, that should be on the list as well. So let us know how far you got. :think: Crazy George :think: :zzzz:
64CorvairEd

Post by 64CorvairEd »

Thanks again everybody! I'm making progress and very much enjoying the work and talking/meeting all of you. Here are some new pics.

(I don't think there was anything holding down the battery before) I just got paid and I think the first things I'm going to purchase are a couple of carb kits. Should keep me busy for a while!

Here is all my info to if anyone wants to chat or stop by or send anything.

Edward Meunier
1535 N Scottsdale Rd Apt 2157
Tempe, AZ 85281

(517) 303-9777
Attachments
photo(4).JPG
photo(5).JPG
photo(6).JPG
photo(7).JPG
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

:eek: :nono: :eek: Hold up there BUB. :nono: Ed, hold on to you :02: paycheck right off. :pray: :neener: A package should be arriving today or tommorrow. :fingerscrossed: It will consist of new plug wires, new plugs , used pair of chokes , two carb kits , and tune up kit (points cap rotor). I called Raffee & LOvEly Marie , they will be sending the package for me , for you and may have a few other items. :fingerscrossed: They do the packing , I can :zzzz: :zzzz: I don't have a wire harness for you. Waiting to see if you want that alternator and regulator, or are you going to hunt for a generator? :dontknow:
Looking at the picture of the top end, right bank , please dont tell me the cooling fins near the top side carb port are melted........... I will be in and out today, give me a call or I will try to call later on today. Glad you finally put up your address info. Lets also see your honey due wish list of needs. Maybe some better closer pictures of you cylinder heads. You may have a little more work. Dont you just LOVE it. Cheer up , your doing find. Remember, the Eyes are on you!!!!!! CrAzY GeOrGe :neener: Lets shout at each other again later.................................. :think:
If this helps , here is my engine compartment give a idea for ya
If this helps , here is my engine compartment give a idea for ya
BUT BUT this has a generator and I bought this the other day and he cut the fuel line (upper right) and put rubber line. I will make up a metal fuel line. Upper left you can see the voltage regulator on the wall. That is what I was talking about :checkeredflag: :checkeredflag: your coming along nicely maybe you would like come do the top of my engine :rolling: I know cheap humor, it cost you nothing :wave: CG
64CorvairEd

Post by 64CorvairEd »

Can't thank you enough George.

I did some more cleaning today and tried to take some better pictures. I'm going to clean and paint the cover. Is now a good time time to strip and paint the engine compartment? I can afford paint so I thought it might be a good idea as it is looking pretty rough.

The cooling fins do not look melted. One of them is pretty bent but that must be from another time. I'd like to pull off the spare tire mounting and paint that as well.

Here are the new pics of the engine as well as a picture from my porch/balcony showing a little setting for where this work is taking place. Haha! I should have taken a picture of me out there this morning with my vacuum cleaner running on an extension cord from my living room. Didn't work out too well! I think I'm going to pick up one of those little shopvacs. Also at the top of the list are jack, jack stands, and fan belt and carburetor.

I tried to get a good picture of the dipstick as well. The neighbors have not complained yet and that's nice! If anything I've had quite a few people including the mailman stop and ask me questions about the car and what happened. Everyone has been very nice. Looks like I'm in a Corvair friendly environment. No tools have gotten stolen yet either! (I'm basically running back and forth from my kitchen sink to the parking lot every ten minutes.

I really don't like all the gunk in the top left corner of the compartment....can I scrape that out or is it covering holes?
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo18.JPG
photo11.JPG
photo12.JPG
photo34.JPG
photo66.JPG
photo70.JPG
photo77.JPG
photo88.JPG
photo99.JPG
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

Gee ED , you made quite a head way today, are you going to clean off all the leaves on the roof in your spare time? :rolling: Good job. Looks much better and I am glad you didn't melt the fins on the heads. You got oil any way , get every thing else done and running and than the oil change later. Since you can't get the top bearing greased right , it turns freely and no scratching on the bearings, I see what I can do and let you borrow something when i find it. Carbs may be in the wind from Richard maybe and wire. I have to make a another phone call later and I think I will have a harness for you on the way. :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: think about which way your going on the alternator or generator. The mean time , I will send you that soap secret and some other papers to help ya. Kelly love the soap savings (2gal. for about .75 cent) Tell her Hi and that her hair still looks nice. (do more sucking up) get some rest , go to work , I call ya tomorrow in the after noon and take it from there. Chin up , maybe when all said and done, you will want to take a jump also. cRAzy me. Yeah :coolphotos: :LMs rule: :EMs Rule: yeah its a corvair
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

sorry guys, ive been using the iphone app and its been acting kinda screwy lately
Last edited by God.favored on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
64CorvairEd

Post by 64CorvairEd »

I picked up a couple products on my way to work today : PB Blaster Catalyst, Simple Green, a couple brushes, Mystery Oil and some engine enamel. Should have my hands ful with more cleaning, painting and getting the car registered tomorrow. I'm not sure how to register the car since it isn't running but I'm sure I'll get more info at the DMV.
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

WAKE UP ED YOU SLEPT TO LONG, day lite is burning. My computor today or so will be iffffy, with all the overcast and rain coming in. NO drougt here !!! :rolling: You pack a kayak. Here it goes, I spoke with Marty last nite and he has a 64 sup manual and 64 engine harness that he will sent to your apartment. I will send ya two sissor jacks with the alternator, I want to get it checked first to be sure it is good , some time this week , see if one of them guys at work will let you borrow a jack for now , maybe safety stands , or some cement blocks , maybe a chunk of wood to chock your tires when you jack it up to keep the car from rolling on ya. I will be in and out today is seems, you got the number or post yours questions. Plenty of others here to help ya.............Crazy George :fingerscrossed: :guitar: :fingerscrossed:
64CorvairEd

Post by 64CorvairEd »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE!!!!!!!

I've been cleaning like crazy today. Each part needs to be cleaned 15 times... I also got the vehicle registered this morning so I'm good to go (or at least I won't get fined for waiting too long. Haha!). I also now have an AZ license now that is valid until I'm 65! Not bad. I'll call you in a bit. I also would like to cut more wires out as they are becoming an eye sore on my pristine ash finished engine
64CorvairEd

Post by 64CorvairEd »

Oh and of course as always thank you so much.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Great progress - I was replying to this thread 2 days ago but I hit a wrong key and lost it all.

What I said was that it really doesn't look that bad and there is likely no damage other than the superficial items likes wires etc.

I think the most likely cause was a leak in that Jerry Rigged fuel line someone installed when the electric fuel pump was added. You should have the pump wired thru an oil pressure switch so it quits pumping when the motor dies.

For Grymm --- Yes that cooling fan is magnesium ! It has too get pretty hot to ignite but once it does you better stand back !!!!!!!!!!! Being curious I threw one on a bonfire in my yard a few years ago . It took awhile to ignite but then it was like the 4th of July . I kept throwing plywood and stuff on top to get it to settle down so no one would call 911. I thought it was gonna burn clear down to China but it finally burnt out.

That's why I don't think the engine got hot enough from the fire since the fan didn't ignite.

Hang in there Ed and we'll help all that we can.
Attachments
66Convert_done.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

Thanks ED, My dauther made me a cake, I made chicken breast and dinner and the wife brings home chinese . Just April and I for the birthday party and she had to bring home work for tonight. Wait till I post all my goodies from ebay. I quess the goodies are my birthday gifts to me. :rolling: I did good on ebay. See now you got Kevin digging up something that really looks pretty bad. I told you that your burn is lucky and nothing that can't be fixed. Raffee say he has seen worst. This red burnt car , you got to omit, is pretty bad. Your doing really fine. Were all a kind of family that just keeps growing. I should have a second goody box in the mail hopefully friday. Just keep on as you are and don't to forget to check the condition of your balancer that it did not melt the seal or is it all cracked up as we discuss over the phone. I will check on you tomorrow afternoon. Remember, things got to be bad before they get better. So lets think alot better. George tag
Butcher&Vairs

Post by Butcher&Vairs »

Goodies on the way, courtesy of "Crazy George"......carb. kits, tune-up kit, spark plugs, wires, used engine harness, used choke pull offs, etc......hope this helps, man....sorry about your ride catching on fire.......Hope to see her back on the road, where it belongs!
Rafee Corvair, parts and service, in the heartland of the USA
http://www.rafeecorvair.com
tel: 918-753-2486, available 7 days a week, no charge for advice
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Man-o-man -- what a bunch of softies ::-):

I just dropped this in the mail to the address that you gave Ed . It should help a little :cool:
Attachments
scan0009.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Trip

Post by Trip »

Happy Birthday George, it's been a great pleasure chatting and getting to know you these past couple months =)
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
mamavair

Post by mamavair »

I have been following this thread and all I can say is 'WOW'!!! It really does a heart good to know that there are such caring people out there and it makes me proud that I am, even remotely, associated with you guys!!! You are all so very AWESOME!!!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”