Turbo Setups? Help

All Models and Years
J.M

Turbo Setups? Help

Post by J.M »

I have come to the realization that I just don't have enough time or patience left to get my blow through setup working properly. The good news is that I have pretty much everythign I need to run a draw through.

The car runs a T3/to4E turbo (brand new garrett)
Everything in the motor is new or NOS. Turbo cam , matched rockers and pushrods , balanced , safegard cam gear , TRW forged pistosn , already has a wastegate on the exhaust ect.

I have a Holley 390 DP and a Carter 500 , both came fromt he 215 car, both are perfect (I assume will need to be rejetted) Getting the adapter made up is no big deal.. The car runs a Crane system in place of the points and a MSD 6A box as well.

My question is.. What else do I need? I can make the cross over no problems , throttle linkage , ect. I am wondering what else i need in terms of igniton? Should I run a MSD BTM and water injection setup and call it a day?

Thanks!
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Turbo Setups? Help

Post by UNSAFE »

Well - Turbos are one subject that I know nothing about but your setup sounds cool and I'll follow your progress.

Never driven or ridden in any kind of a turbo car in my life --- it's "cheatin" you know . :rafman:

Maybe someday we can "Line Em Up" :burnout: :burnout: :tu:
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Does your ignition do boost retard? Have you thought about using a crank trigger? It was the best upgrade I did to my turbo, by far. :tu:

Click it!
J.M

Post by J.M »

No it doesn't , I was thinking of adding a MSD 6BTM , so it will retard per # of boost. I would love to add a better ignition , FI and the rest , but it's been so long since I've driven my car I just want to get abasic setup driving , then go from there.
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Sounds like a 6BTM is what you're after, then. Make sure you tune it with a wideband, don't let it run lean.
Click it!
J.M

Post by J.M »

Already got the wideband installed. Not the most finite setup , but reading what some guys were running int he 70's and still getting deep into the 13's in street cars I think I will be ok
SpyderMan

Post by SpyderMan »

Does that turbo have a carbon seal? if it does not it will not last as a Draw threw.
Sam Russell
1962 Monza Wagon
1964 Monza Spyder

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”