So the city has decided my Corvair is an "eyesore"

Humor, Politics, etc...
tdsherman325

So the city has decided my Corvair is an "eyesore"

Post by tdsherman325 »

They've decreed that I have until tomorrow to park it in the backyard. Lovely. According to the code enforcement guy you're not even allowed to keep a non-running car in a garage here because "You could open the garage door and people could see it". :angry: Not that the Corvair would fit in the garage, but I had to ask.

For the record, it's not like I have the thing up on blocks in the front yard. It's sitting on all four wheels under a car cover in the carport. The only reason they even know it doesn't run is because the code enforcement guy took it upon himself to lift up the cover and check inside the car, which apparently they have the authority to do. He even brought a cop with him.

I also get to have fun using my lunch break tomorrow to go meet the guy and drive around my other cars in front of him to prove that they run as he is now threatening to tow off everything I own unless I drive across town in the middle of the day to demonstrate them for him. This consists of the car I drove to work that day and a Mercedes that doesn't even look like it's a project:

According to him, once they've ascertained that one car you own doesn't run, they have the authority to verify the running status of everything else. Wonderful.

Sorry to rant, but I'm upset.
Trampside

Re: So the city has decided my Corvair is an "eyesore"

Post by Trampside »

I'm hot. This is WRONG.

You're saying that a government official came on your property without your consent, or an issued warrant by a judge? He then "inspected" the property and made an "expert" decision as to its condition? What kind of a place is Abilene, TX anyways? Is that in the USA?

How could a mechanic survive in business if he can't have non-running cars around his property?

Here's an argument for that Jackbooted P.O.S. loser official: a "non-running vehicle" is an oxymoron, because it's technically not a "vehicle" if it can't transport someone.

I'm sorry, but I'm damn sick and tired of this type of B.S. I'm sure your tax dollars created his hall-monitor-wannabe job. And then he's accompanied by law enforcement to be sure he has protection? Yeah, he'd need protection too if he approached me on my property. Maybe someone will promote that window-licking chump to the TSA.
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

Oh I'd be so pissed off, there is no way they'd take my car, I'd sit there all day an wait for them to come get it, then dare em to take it from me. Then sue them for trespassing
reidmier
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by reidmier »

They probably don't care if it runs as long as it has current tags and isn't sitting on four flat tires or blocks. They just want their money. I had the code enforcement guys stop by and write me a ticket for having a car parked in my driveway with three flat tires. When I explained that vandals had sliced the tires and I couldn't afford to run right out and buy a new set, he told me that my reasons didn't matter.
Reid M.
Washington, UT.
'65 Monza 110 PG

http://www.hacoa.org/
http://www.vegasvairs.com/
Mountain Pilot

Post by Mountain Pilot »

I moved out of the local town to get away from this kind of #@>?&#.

I am now 1/2 mile out of the town on a old Farm. No hassle, no jack booted police and 2 acres to stack my Cars, closest neighbor 1/2 mile away on one side and local scrap yard 1/2 mile on the other ( easy to get rid of junk ) ....

It is sad when you must go to this extent to have a hobby and save history...

:assault: The only way to fight this is to go to the state legislature in force ( got to get car clubs and many owners together ) and have a bill passed protecting the rights of classic car owners. Fighting the locals is impossible... :rafman:
Richard Cutter
Monte Vista, Colorado

1960 700 Sedan / 1964 Spyder, Conv. / 1964 Monza Sedan
“Truth is Treason in the Empire of Lies.” -George Orwell
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Grrrrrrr.....that's all.
Last edited by flat6_musik on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tdsherman325

Post by tdsherman325 »

Trampside wrote:You're saying that a government official came on your property without your consent, or an issued warrant by a judge? He then "inspected" the property and made an "expert" decision as to its condition? What kind of a place is Abilene, TX anyways? Is that in the USA?
He didn't even so much as ask! Just walked right up in the carport and took the cover off of my car.

Abilene is notorious for this kind of thing. My parents had to pay thousands in fines over repeated tickets for their dogs barking. In a neighborhood where literally every neighbor save one has dogs. Animal control told them point blank that they don't even investigate and just write a ticket for every complaint because "we feel that if someone takes the time to complain it must be a problem".

I had someone attempt to break into my house a few weeks ago. I wasn't home, so my neighbors called the cops and when they showed up they just used it as an excuse to climb in through an unlocked window, let themselves in, and run drug dogs through my house. No warrant, no phone call. I only found out what they were doing because the same neighbor called. They didn't even arrest the guy.
Trampside wrote:And then he's accompanied by law enforcement to be sure he has protection? Yeah, he'd need protection too if he approached me on my property.
Yeah, I though that was kinda disturbing. They must be well aware how much they're pissing people off with this BS.
God.favored wrote:Oh I'd be so pissed off, there is no way they'd take my car, I'd sit there all day an wait for them to come get it, then dare em to take it from me. Then sue them for trespassing
If I had the spare cash I'd be sorely tempted to park the car in the middle of the front yard and build a little fence around it. You can be assured he'll be getting a piece of my mind tomorrow when I "demonstrate" my cars for him. I'll try not to get arrested.
Mountain Pilot wrote:I moved out of the local town to get away from this kind of #@>?&#.

I am now 1/2 mile out of the town on a old Farm. No hassle, no jack booted police and 2 acres to stack my Cars, closest neighbor 1/2 mile away on one side and local scrap yard 1/2 mile on the other ( easy to get rid of junk ) ....
I am super jealous.
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

:rafman: I can share your feelings,
Some day our cover for a book
Some day our cover for a book
the postal service sent ATF to my home claiming that they were fearfull of me going postal and that I possess to many guns. You dont want to know how many ( I was a gun dealer, smith, and quess what , UNION President ) :rolling: They picked on the wrong officier :rolling: Plus I still show some weapon to law inforcement. Your official does have some powers but you must be present. Then :assault: may be in order . :clap: He only brought a officier for a witness and that officier should have known better, I would get his badge as well. Don't lose your cool, or they will have you where they want you, choose your words with smarts. Up here , traspassing means nothing ,useless from me unless lawenforcement orders it.
useless but they know where we stand
useless but they know where we stand
I lived in Lubbock once, I won't give up Maine. So may I offer a choice:
Reach out and touch me or high capacity ( Your choice )
Reach out and touch me or high capacity ( Your choice )
And post this guy about trespassing
This says it all !!!!!!!!
This says it all !!!!!!!!
May be a watch bear that could bite him in the ass, they don't bark
NON - BARKING
NON - BARKING
:rolling: :rolling: GET THAT SUCKER I too have a strong distaste for goverment officals , lock and load :assault: :assault: :assault:
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Trampside wrote:I'm hot. This is WRONG.

What kind of a place is Abilene, TX anyways? Is that in the USA?

Mexico.
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Mexico.
:rolling:

Yeh - that sucks about your car but it won't be long before Big Brother dictates everything we do.

You gotta figure it was a neighbor that complained to get the Man out there in the first place ???

You could move to Juneau Alaska - So far all we have is the Garbage Gestapos that cruise the neighborhoods on pickup day and ticket you if you can doesn't have a lid on it ,or if you put it out before 3am , or if the ravens or bears get into it.
Attachments
gadsden.gif
gadsden.gif (5.08 KiB) Viewed 992 times
beach.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
mart

Post by mart »

Shoot him , you can use me as an alibi :assault:
OldGuy1187

Post by OldGuy1187 »

I can understand your anger. I had a car next to my driveway and was told to remove it or they would. I put it in the garage and no one knew where it went.

I agree with Reid. All they want is their tax money. And I agree with unsafe on a neighbor turning you in as that is what happened in my case. people just can't seem to mind their own business any more.

Keep a cool head and tongue. Striking back will only raise a red flag to them and then they will watch your every move. I understand the frustration but the codes of a city, town or village are yours to know and not theirs to explain, unfortunately. My wife got a ticket one day for parking on the street in front of our house because she was not 25 feet from the crosswalk. She was probably 20. When I questioned the city on this they said that we should know the codes and it's not up to them to give a book on them.

amen to big brother, we are getting there.

Nice collection of rifles ctryewe. I live in Illinois and it is a gun hating state. When I come home I carry around the house but am sure to cover up if someone comes to the door. We also have to be careful as to what we post as "no trespassing" signs. Life is no longer simple.

Good luck with your situation tdsherman325
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

According to the code enforcement guy you're not even allowed to keep a non-running car in a garage here because "You could open the garage door and people could see it".

I would be inclined to ask to see the code in print (in a code book) or at least for the section, sub-section, paragraph etc... that outlines the code, law, ordinance or whatever. :dontknow:

It seems every neighborhood has a self appointed "Mayor" that has nothing better to do than mind everyone's business. :nono:

I know a guy that was a newspaper dealer that had a larger panel type van to pick up and deliver papers to his carriers. The neighborhood he lived in had narrow streets and very few driveways so the street was always crowded.
In order to be a good neighbor and not take up space on the street, he put in a driveway for the truck to park. :tu:

The neighbor apparently had a problem with this and started parking his car close enough to the driveway that it was virtually impossible to get the van in or out of the driveway. :td:

My dad had a big old cab over engine 1946 Ford truck that was not pretty and had "Historic" tags on it. When the neighbor's car was gone one day, the old Ford truck was parked in it's place but far enough back to allow for use of the driveway. They left it sit there for a couple of weeks. This really upset the pain in the butt neighbor who then called someone to complain.
Since the truck had Historic tags on it there was nothing they could do since it was only supposed to be used occasionally. :neener:

They left the truck parked there long enough that the neighbor got the point and stopped parking like an idiot.

Sometimes when you try to be a good neighbor, it comes back and bites you on the backside anyway.

I hope you are able to get your problem resolved and that your "Mayor" becomes at some point a victim of that old saying "What goes around, comes around" :02:
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

tdsherman3325 did you make any head way :dontknow: Hope you didn't get locked up :clap: I agree also about be brother over your shoulder . I have a huge collection of weapons and its no secret. About 75 or so. I show them to law enforcement as PR . Most towns are looking for money's or someone got a little power or it could of been a busy body neighbor.
I do have one also. He put up a 8 foot cedar fence , we call it the great divide. Built his house and garage almost in the line set backs rules by a honest mistake. He does not say nothing to me any more, he put the bad side to me and I found out that he is 3 foot on my property, I don't care , leave me alone.
Posted signs, are what they are, posted sign. I agree as well as to what we post may state, I have proven this already and in my bounties. My case is well under stood why between the Wardens and my representive. You paid taxes to own your piece of ground, you should be able to do with reason, what you do on it. You should not have someone on your property who is not welcome or with out your presents or knowledge, is really all I am saying . This little general that came on your property, should be showing some ordinance rules or what give him any right to walk on your property in a official capacity. Did he or was it all mouth?
Now in towns, populated areas, thats a whole different world, I love mine. Maybe tdsherman3325 would like to come to Maine, lots of room, very little big brother around, for now. Let us know how you made out!! We are all rooting for ya. :tu:
zappaz

Post by zappaz »

local politics , zoneing laws bunch of b.s my dear mother was the colector and she pissed off the goverment and thay raised hell with her colection running nonrunning regesistered and untaged even the ones that had the forsale sings me myself id go out and get the uglyest pile i could make it uglyer and drive it ! just because its one of yr neighbors thats causing yr trouble and of corse id have to park it in front of citty hall as often as i could . and a lil lettering on the side would be a nice touch ; your zoneing laws made me get rid of my nice car ; along them lines jus ta piss with them
126hotel

Post by 126hotel »

Wow thats not cool F that guy I had the same problem with my neighbor but am the one with a tow truck let me get to the point someone moved their cars & left them in the middle of the street & they got impounded they never mess with my old cars again

Return to “Off Topic”