Pulling through 4000RPM

All Models and Years
Scott V

Re: Pulling through 4000RPM

Post by Scott V »

miniman82 wrote: you should still be able to get a functioning wideband with sensor for around $200 if you don't mind building the cable.
you can get a lc-1 for under $200 - that is ready to go & you dont need to build a cable.

-Scott V.
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

Scott V wrote:
miniman82 wrote: you should still be able to get a functioning wideband with sensor for around $200 if you don't mind building the cable.
you can get a lc-1 for under $200 - that is ready to go & you dont need to build a cable.

-Scott V.

Tell me more!
1966 Corsa Coupe
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

LC-1 is not a good choice IMO, it's known for crapping out after a year or so. When it does, it is not repairable since the whole thing is in a molded plastic case. LM-2 is better, though you'll pay more.
Click it!
Stinger Motorsports

Post by Stinger Motorsports »

I have read through your symptons and If your car was in my shop I would tackle all of the small items first to make sure they are not the problem.

First Dwell .. Set it to 32 deg at static idle then get something to pressurize the retard unit and make sure the dwell doesn't change... I have seen the movement in the points plate change dwell over 20 deg on some customer cars that show up here. Change out the Condensor regardless of how old it is this simple 2 dollar part can make all the difference in a smooth running engine.

Second If dwell doesn't change anything... COIL... I have had five cars this year in my shop with bad coils.. they idle and drive normal when not being pushed hard and then when you try to accelerate hard they lay down. Another item with the Coil is that many owners have over time installed performance coils (Accel). When installed they also install the ballast resistor as the manual says to. What the manual doesn't know is that the Corvair has the ballast resistor already designed in the wiring harness so adding the extra resistor drops the voltage input to the coil very low. I have also seen lots of coils installed with the polarity reversed.

Third if none of these have made any difference check the plug gap... Some people thing they can open it up and improve performance. The Forced induction engines (turbos / supercharged) can actually blow the spark out in performance applications set your gaps to around .028

Fourth ( I didn't see any reference to how much boost is being built when the motor cuts up) I had a customer car recently that would build boost great in first gear run from idle to 6500rpm then never build boost again. Turned out to be that once the hose that connected the turbo to the inlet pipe expanded at full boost it internally leaked from then on. I chased this problem for days before I stumbled on the problem.. I replaced the hose and the car ran perfect.. The bad spot was on the backside so I never saw it expanding in the shop.

Fifth if none of these other things have fixed the problem... You need to move onto the fuel system... A wideband sensor will tell you everything here . they have come down in price and are a good tool to have in the shop. But it sounds like you have a regular sensor and it tells you that you are rich.. If so and the engine goes to rich the engine won't burn the fuel properly and will not pull rpm. once you get the mixture set correctly the engine will pull rpm much faster. With that said Rich is save when dealing with a turbo engine running lean does really bad things with a turbo.

Start with these items and I'm certain you will find the problem.

Good luck
David C
Owner
Stinger Motorsports
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

cvair4life wrote:
Scott V wrote:

-Scott V.

Tell me more!
innovate motorsports http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php makes the lc-1. i have had one for many years & it works very well. i know many others who have them & they have no problems w/it. its a quality unit from a very well respected company and it is a great value. innovate stands behind they stuff & has good customer support.

-Scott V.
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Scott V wrote:innovate stands behind they stuff & has good customer support.

They are, and I like them. Only question is would you rather keep on replacing an LC1 when it inevitably fails, or buy once and keep a reliable unit? By brother has been through 2 of them so far, I know of 2 others with more bad ones than I have fingers on one hand. Not bashing the product, but it's reputation is a bit substandard. PLX has a cheap wideband for sale on the CB Performance website, maybe check that out?
Click it!
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

miniman82 wrote:
Scott V wrote:PLX has a cheap wideband for sale on the CB Performance website, maybe check that out?
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1673

263$ - I assume the kit includes the O2 sensor?
1966 Corsa Coupe
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

If you look at the pictures, it shows a cable with sensor on the end of it. I assume this means it does in fact come with a sensor, but you can always call and ask them to be certain.
Click it!
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

miniman82 wrote:
Scott V wrote:innovate stands behind they stuff & has good customer support.

They are, and I like them. Only question is would you rather keep on replacing an LC1 when it inevitably fails, or buy once and keep a reliable unit? By brother has been through 2 of them so far, I know of 2 others with more bad ones than I have fingers on one hand. Not bashing the product, but it's reputation is a bit substandard. PLX has a cheap wideband for sale on the CB Performance website, maybe check that out?
the plx are nice units & have a good reputation. if my lc-1 or old lm-1 takes the dump & i wasnt going to build a kit - i would probably go w/a plx or lc-2 as you mentioned. my old motec is still running strong - expensive but built like a tank.

-Scott V.
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

MOTEC wideband? Tell me more...
Click it!
Stinger Motorsports

Post by Stinger Motorsports »

Wideband
I have a AEM uego sensor 30-4100 it works great and the price can't be beat for a complete kit.. You can score them on Ebay for $165.00
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

miniman82 wrote:MOTEC wideband? Tell me more...
its probably 20 yrs old now. large machined aluminum box, liquid crystal display. cost around $3500 new. uses a lsm-11 sensor. technically not a wideband but a precision narrow band. very accurate & very helpful. nothing else was around @ that time. paid for itself even @ that cost. electronics - got to love them - the stuff gets better & better @ the same time the price goes down.

-Scott V.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”