pensylvania bondo bucket

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
mart

Re: pensylvania bondo bucket

Post by mart »

Luckily I have the skills to put it right myself, but that dont make me feel any better about it :cussing: I was hoping to get some summer use out of it but I cant trust it until I go over every inch, who knows what I will turn up next??? :dontknow:
mart

Post by mart »

fjp912 wrote:The seats probably don't quite match the rest of the interior because GM changed its colors a bit between '64 and '66. Strange that the P.O. deliberately decided to do that.

I realize it is hard for you to pursue the seller legally from across an ocean, but the reason you should do so is that they are willling to sell cars with concealed major safety problems. Prior rust repairs may be within the scope of "as is," but that crossmember is something that could kill you. Imagine if you had jumped in the car and gone for a long drive.
The front seats dont even match each other, one aqua one blue
Trip

Post by Trip »

Do we have any members local to the dealer who can raise hell with him? A local walk in is more likely to get some action than an overseas phone call.

I'm in Pennsylvania.. FAR northeast Corner... just East of Scranton... where is the car from??
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
Trip

Post by Trip »

HEY! That dealer is only one hour away from me, and happens to be right on my normal track to see the in-laws once in a while!!
If you want to load me with knowledge and pics I'll walk right in there and give them hell in person for you. I used to be a real estate salesperson so I know how to work people :evil:
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
64 Monza Convertible
mart

Post by mart »

Thanks Ray , you can use the pics I posted here if you like , if not I can send as many as you like
mart

Post by mart »

More horrors revealed
Attachments
crash repair perhaps?
crash repair perhaps?
crash repair perhaps?
crash repair perhaps?
inside of pass side wheel well, expanding foam and bondo, cant wait to dig this out for a better look
inside of pass side wheel well, expanding foam and bondo, cant wait to dig this out for a better look
no matter how many times I look at it ,I still get the shivvers
no matter how many times I look at it ,I still get the shivvers
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

My eyes hurt. I just hate seeing cars that were obviously done up to "turn a buck". It sure woulda been interesting to see some "before" pics, eh?
mart

Post by mart »

From what I can gather from bills, letters etc that came with the car this was not the case. Most of the repairs seem to have been done over 10 years ago and the PO was oblivious to the poor quality of the work which was done by so called professionals. My beef is with the dealership that sold the car on to me, I cant believe it wasnt inspected thoroughly when they took it in , some of the repairs were glaringly obvious and dangerous. My thought is that they knew its condition, as although they sent me over 20 pictures, none of the problems appeared in any of them
reidmier
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by reidmier »

IMO, the fact that the dealer took 20 pictures and not one of them showed a problem area probably means that they inspected the car and knew exactly what they were selling. In defense of the previous owner, he paid a decent amount of money to have the work done, but apparently didn't know how shoddy the job they did was if he kept the car another 10 years. Really a shame what you're dealing with, but your experience should serve to remind everyone to look for cars from dry climates if at all possible. Rust is a relentless enemy.
Reid M.
Washington, UT.
'65 Monza 110 PG

http://www.hacoa.org/
http://www.vegasvairs.com/
mart

Post by mart »

I must admit , I am surprised it held together for so long, maybe it just proves it hasnt been used much since then. There are some rust bubbles in the repaired areas, but very slight. I have some later bills , from Clarks, for trim and cosmetic odds and sods, maybe the car wasnt used for a long time, then prettied up a little for a trade in. I guess I will never really know. One thing I do know...it wont beat me...repairs are under way and will continue until, hopefully ,next spring
Trip

Post by Trip »

The one good thing to come out of this is that this poor car is going to be saved by your hard work and determination, if it stayed state-side I highly doubt it would ever get a new lease on life!

I am going to print the pictures out, and I'm going to walk in there first chance I get. I'd drive down Monday if gas weren't so damned pricey.

I'm guilty of less than professional grade repairs for sure... some of you would really look down on repairs I've done but to me if it looks good and holds up for a good period of time it is a good repair. Until recently I had no welder so fiberglass was my only option... but my glass repairs have held up really well and I'd never mislead somebody like that. Even from my perspective that is some serious butcher work.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
64 Monza Convertible
Trip

Post by Trip »

You know what? I'm going to see if I can consult with a lawyer on your behalf too, this is absolutely criminal. One of my in-laws is a supreme-court case winning lawyer, he never seems to anxious to jump in and do anything serious but he is at least good for advice. I bet I can get a free consultation with a decent lawyer in the area either way. Can you PM me your full name and address, details on the purchase and transportation costs etc? Even if you don't want me to talk to a lawyer I want to have that info when I walk into the dealership.

Thanks
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
64 Monza Convertible
mart

Post by mart »

Hi Ray
tried a PM but dont think it worked, I' m quite happy to put details up here if it helps. I paid $4800 for the car, shipping was £1570 GBP, tax was £200 GBP and reg will be £55 GBP when it is safe enough to pass inspection. You know, Im starting to wonder if the 5 week delay, supposedly caused by the PA DMV , in sorting out title was just a tactic to prevent me raising an issue with ebay because when I tried to leave feedback , I was prevented from doing so because of a time limit. I reckon I can double my costs in trying to get the car up to my standards , I ve already spent $800 with clarks (we wont mention lscorvairparts here) and have a similar size list for parts waiting to go, but thats just me wanting it "right"
I live in Norton, Cleveland , UK TS20 1DA, 115 Leven road, full name , Martin Reed
Thanks to you and all the other great guys on here for your help and support, its nice to know you are all out there :ty:
Attachments
heres the fenderwell repar from the inside pass side, drivers side not as bad, but can you see where  a different fender was joined...accident damage again? ebay listing states no signs of accident damage
heres the fenderwell repar from the inside pass side, drivers side not as bad, but can you see where a different fender was joined...accident damage again? ebay listing states no signs of accident damage
a little closer,
a little closer,
Trip

Post by Trip »

Have you contacted ebay customer support and explained exactly what happened? I'd do that.... let them know about the 5 week delay and the reason given etc.

I'll see what I can do on my end
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
64 Monza Convertible
fjp912

Post by fjp912 »

I think of all the bodge jobs on this car, that might be the bodgiest looking one, with all those little pieces of metal randomly riveted together.

It's not necessarily accident damage. I grew up in that part of PA and know what the winters are like. And to make it worse, some people liked to use cars like Corvairs and VW Beetles in the winter because of the great traction.
FRANK PERCH
Philadelphia, PA
'64 Monza Coupe
mart

Post by mart »

A full ( or at least 3/4) rear fender was fitted to the pass side at some stage, the join can be seen on the inside of the inside of the fender just to the side of the spare wheel bolt . I dont think that is rust damage, I wonder if that was riveted too, most likely brazed I would think

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”