pensylvania bondo bucket

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
mart

pensylvania bondo bucket

Post by mart »

Looks nice huh? ...........wait and see
Attachments
looking good in PA
looking good in PA
Looking good at liverpool dock
Looking good at liverpool dock
but wait whats this behind the spare tyre
but wait whats this behind the spare tyre
and this under the carpet?
and this under the carpet?
shouldnt there be a front tie rod here?
shouldnt there be a front tie rod here?
flat6_musik

Re: pensylvania bondo bucket

Post by flat6_musik »

Oh my gawd....so how was it steering correctly on that last pic?
mart

Post by mart »

Theres more
Attachments
shouldnt there be a seam on the rear quarter?
shouldnt there be a seam on the rear quarter?
silly me, here it is on the other side
silly me, here it is on the other side
bondo on the inside????????????
bondo on the inside????????????
Hmmm...thats an odd shape
Hmmm...thats an odd shape
cant wait to see wats under here
cant wait to see wats under here
a job well done and heres the bill to prove it
a job well done and heres the bill to prove it
mart

Post by mart »

flat6_musik wrote:Oh my gawd....so how was it steering correctly on that last pic?
perfectly straight according to right pedal autosales
rfw66

Post by rfw66 »

Mart, This is what happened to me with my 65 Corsa Convertible. However, I was able to inspect it before I laid down the money......... And still trusted the PO at their word. Silly me Now I am paying the price. One of the PO's could not pull out the crashed/ bent fender, so they bent the hood to match as best they could and then used bondo to make up the difference!
Good luck with your "new" Corvair. .
Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
Motornoggin
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Motornoggin »

Dang. Sorry to see the shoddy workmanship. Hard to say exactly how and why it ended up that way, too lazy, too cheap, crooked, etc... Shame that someone took the low road and pawned it off on you knowing you wouldn't have much recourse. Hope it comes back to them in spades!

What to do now? I would certainly let the sellers know about it, as well as anyone else that will listen. That probably won't get it fixed though. Take some time to figure out exactly what it needs, maybe have an expert evaluate it for you just so you know whether or not it's even ok to drive (provided the suspension is now repaired).

Sad, but PA is in the "rust belt" to a degree and some cars didn't fare well and unfortunately, a Corvair might need more work than is economically viable creating a situation where less than scrutable work is performed. It happens more in the auto restoration business than anyone would admit. Sometimes it's not even meant to defraud anyone, but after they change hands a few times it becomes difficult to know the background.

Hope you can get some satisfaction, and eventually some enjoyment out of your Corvair. it won't be easy, but sentimentally speaking may be worth it.
fjp912

Post by fjp912 »

That's a bummer after you waited so long for this car to arrive. The work order is dated 1996. Most likely, someone did some body work but then kept driving the car in all kinds of PA weather conditions which led to the rust coming back.

Still, this would be a decent 20 footer except for that steering/suspension problem.

Do you know that the listing for your car is still on that dealer's website, marked sold? See http://www.rightpedalauto.com/vehiclede ... =135833007 . The listing seems to be one of a type I see many times online where the dealer must be using some kind of software that lets him choose a series of stock phrases and sentences to make an odd sounding description that doesn't really tell you much specific. I notice there are no photos of the underside of the car.

The other thing that pops out to me right away is that the interior is incorrect. The front seats are '64 -- they look exactly like mine. The rear seat cushion is probably '64 too. The seatback is different; I'm not sure what year is is, but it is not '66. All of that weirdness is a signal that things may not be as they seem.

I realize it is a bit late to be telling you all that, but I hadn't seen the interior pix before.
FRANK PERCH
Philadelphia, PA
'64 Monza Coupe
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Wow....those pics are amazingly deceptive. It sure looks like a virgin granny car to me.
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

mmmmmh looking not good :sad5: sorry hope you can fix it some time, it's a nice car, is te mechanical parts (beside the tierod) futher oke ?? hope so

long waiting, getting to this, hope you stil enjoying it, keep on going !!!! :tu:
mart

Post by mart »

I will get it done, its just more work than I expected, and its annoying that its someone elses work I need to put right. I got loads of pictures from the seller, including underneath, but they were cleverly done, and he made sure I got pictures of minor faults to distract me away from the major ones. Having looked at the bills that came with the car, I believe it to be a genuine 2 owner car, but the previous owner was driving it around completely oblivious to its true condition, he didnt even know it had 64 sests in it as he has a bill from Clarks for 66 seat covers with a return slip to replace with 64. I knew about the seats but wasnt prepared for them being completely different colours and not being bolted down securely. It certainly fools people into thinking its a nice car until I point out the problems. I knew as soon as it arrived on the trailer that it was bad, the first thing I saw were the rear fenderwells , which I will photograph when I start to repair them, they are full of expanding foam and undercoated over the top. For now , I am starting at the front and working my way along. I have no intention of driving it until every part is gone through, although it sounds OK engine wise. As you can probably tell from my Larry Shapiro and clarks 4x1 post, my intention was to get a good car and just pep it up a little. I think the next pictures show that no matter how many photos you ask for, an experienced con artist can make anything look good :redface:
Attachments
sellers pictures
sellers pictures
no sign of the damaged crossmember or loose tie bar here...well hidden
no sign of the damaged crossmember or loose tie bar here...well hidden
nothing here to suggest rivet pan repair
nothing here to suggest rivet pan repair
note how the photographer managed to avoid capturing both ends of rear panel
note how the photographer managed to avoid capturing both ends of rear panel
no obvious sign of riveted repairs under the spatter paint
no obvious sign of riveted repairs under the spatter paint
thakfully, I still have my faithful servant "Clatters" to get me around
thakfully, I still have my faithful servant "Clatters" to get me around
fjp912

Post by fjp912 »

The seats probably don't quite match the rest of the interior because GM changed its colors a bit between '64 and '66. Strange that the P.O. deliberately decided to do that.

I realize it is hard for you to pursue the seller legally from across an ocean, but the reason you should do so is that they are willling to sell cars with concealed major safety problems. Prior rust repairs may be within the scope of "as is," but that crossmember is something that could kill you. Imagine if you had jumped in the car and gone for a long drive.
FRANK PERCH
Philadelphia, PA
'64 Monza Coupe
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

fjp912 wrote:I realize it is hard for you to pursue the seller legally from across an ocean, but the reason you should do so is that they are willling to sell cars with concealed major safety problems. Prior rust repairs may be within the scope of "as is," but that crossmember is something that could kill you. Imagine if you had jumped in the car and gone for a long drive.
I agree....all those riveted-in panels might squeak by as "not the best way to repair rusted panels" but that crossmember? Sheeiitttt.....they had to know, and that's just bullshit.
mart

Post by mart »

I'm not the worlds best welder but its gotta be better than rivets
Attachments
xxxxa corvar 001.jpg
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Am-Iron »

Looks good. Did you make that part? A little grinding and filler it will look great! Nice start, I am sorry you did not get what you expected. You can probably get that A arm from someone on here.
Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mart

Post by mart »

Yes I made it, doesnt look original but it will do. I will try to repair the crossmember if I can get hold of some 4mm plate and an arc welder, I dont think my little gassless mig will cope. Floorpans next for now, plus a few more hidden horrors no doubt :fingerscrossed:
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Ouch... that "stinks" so badly. Unfortunate you got taken. Hope you get some relief.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”