1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 1965 Corsa clone, but a sweeeeeet one

Post by Gregory_Miller »

She's out of Group Red, back on the road as of Wednesday. Drove her to work today and many admiring looks. Time for some minor carb tweaking and more driving!!!
Corvair.crazy
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Corvair.crazy »

I love it. (for a LM LOL) Maybe if I come to a meeting I can get a ride. :clap:
Jon
CORSA member
1962 Spyder convert
1961 Rampside
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Next BSCC meeting will be in Albany at the Carousel they are building, April 23Rd, saturday at noon! Hope to see all of you there that live nearby! They will be giving us a tour of the project.
http://albanybrassring.com/

EDIT: Note date change, it will be at noon.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

More on my ride. I took her to her first car show with me as the owner, the South Albany High School senior all-night party car show. It was fun, won no awards, but there was quite a bit of interest in the car. Jerry Mello of the Beaver State Corvair Club showed up with his 65 turbo, while not quite show-ready, he parked it next to mine and let the folks see both NA and turbo models. Pics to follow as soon as I can get Jerry to forward the pics to me.
Last edited by Gregory_Miller on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

More updates: I was boiling the electrolyte out of my battery a bit, nice solid 16V at battery terminals. :( Luckily, alt was fine and one cheap Chinese-made solid state regulator later, (No US-made alternative available at this alternator shop) back in business. Cleaned junk out of oil cooler while I had alt off. I have a whistle in the driver's side primary carb, need to find out what's making that. No obvious problems when I opened it up to have a peek. I have the pictures from last week's car show now, posted on Photobucket.. but here's my baby there.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Looks great!
I see it's attracting lots of attention too. :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Those high school kids were saying "I've never seen anything like that before" I thought to myself "Ive heard that a lot" Thats' why I have to take her out, even though the paint is less than stellar. I must raise awareness. 1 fellow showed up who wants a LM for a project, told him about the Jaxed Mash.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

hahaha nice! I still take mine to shows even though my paint is not good and I have some body damage too. It still gets lots of attention.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Maybe I should have left well enough alone, but I dug into the carburetors to solve several minor problems, and created more instead I had wet top cover gaskets, and re-set the float level too low. Now I have it back at 1 1/8 where it was originally set it 1-1/16 and I over-reacted and set it at 1-1/4. Started having slome what I suspect was lean misfire, so that's why back at 1-1/8. Hopefully no more wet top cover gaskets. I also found a bad choke pull-off, or should I say Marty Scarr found it, I just ordered a new one from a large east coast vendor and got it in 3 days. Also had 1 secondary carb little to no accelator pump squirt when adjusted as adevertised, had to bend link to allow pump travel beyond the alignment mark just a bit to get good squirt. Vair Chet from CC forum sending me a free * I lika that* 65 secondary carb for me to clean and rebuild, check for throttle shaft play, etc. More fun ahead.
Next plans are to replace window channel material in both doors, driver's window rattles at freeway speeds. Have front channel, awaiting rear channel from not-so-large west coast vendor who is awaiting it to arrive in stock. May order it from prior mentioned east coast vendor if it is in stock, and have a credit at the other.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

OK... I test drove it yesterday, and it is so close to being perfect... I had a fellow stop in his van while I was visiting another friend who hadn't seen it yet. He asked if we would pardon the interruption and could he look at my Vair.. I said sure. He told me he and his wife were at the corner grocery store and she asked him what he was doing, and he told her "I'm looking at the most beautiful Corvair I have ever seen!" :tu: Gotta love that. Then he got closer and of course it still needs a paint job, but looks fab from 10 feet. Younger fellow than me, but who isn't? :doh: Good day to drive a Corvair, and today is too!
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

hmmm? I was told to take the rubber skirts off of my secondaries acc pumps, and that they are only to function as throttle return springs.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

cool story about the guy in the van. Gotta love these Vairs!
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

65-67 used accel pump cups on secondaries, 68-69 did not. All about fuel economy, baby!

Back on topic.. I got an Ignitor 1 today, I hate points. I got a cheap "not inexpensive" set of points to carry with me in the event I need to swap back any time. I'll drop it in tonight. Also got a roll of the U.Seal band once I knew how to ask for it on Homie Depot's website, came right up. Going to do the package area and see about getting behind the back seat area tonight as well. I have a roadie to Portland tomorrow for a work-related meeting and want to show her off to my colleagues that work in the other cities. Pics of conversion later tonight or tomorrow.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Well, the new points were wrong... typical. Tried to get it running on the Pertronix before a 200 mile trip, decided against that. Got it running really well this afternoon, a beautiful Pacific NW spring day. Added the new wire to power the Pertronix, and it will be integrated into the wiring harness once I get the plastic hold-downs from Clark's. I took the U.Seal back to Home Depot, it already has sound deadening material behind and under the cardboard in the package area and behind the rear seat.
Life was good today.
Last edited by Gregory_Miller on Tue May 03, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Woo Hoo. Already sound deadened. Nice!
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

I took some time yesterday to remove the kick panels. The Corsa was red inside and the kick panels had been painted, but it was flaking off in increasing amounts. I sanded off all that would come off easily, hit them with plastic primer, then a nice coat of flat black. Won't stand up to close scrutiny, but it's good enough for a driver until I find some black ones that are servicable. That way, when you scrape some black off, there's more black underneath it!! A bit of the new paint chipped off as I flexed the "grilles" to pop them back in place, but it's small. I'll touch it up with some model paint I have.
Now on list: Driver's side aluminum trim that has the "body by fisher" emblem on it ... the "door runner"? and a pair of decent to better kick panels in black. :)

Driver's side after cleaning off all the loose paint. I then hit with plastic primer, then the flat black Krylon. Won't last forever, but doesn't need to.
Grilles had most of the paint flake off as soon as I flexed them.
Fender wells nice and clean inside, and you can see where the original Monza trim holes have been filled. I like the lack of rust in there a LOT.
Here's the finished product, reinstalled. I also glued the carpet back to the jute, and then glued the jute to the floor with some general trim adhesive. Just enough to keep it in place. Floor has already been preserved, just another thing I don't have to do. :)
Oh, and vote for me in Corvair of the month!!!

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”