America, Your Cars Are Getting Old

Anything Corvair related
erco

Post by erco »

I guess we're part of the problem. :)

The average age of a US vehicle is now 12.6 years, as consumers coax extra life out of them

https://www.newser.com/story/350664/ame ... g-old.html
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: America, Your Cars Are Getting Old

Post by davemotohead »

I drive a 2005 Toyota RAV 4 - 4x4, its been a great little car and I have abused it and it still runs strong and still gets 30 mpg with over 200,000 miles on it, when the drive train dies I am rebuilding it! Its the last year of the 5 speed manual as well, No GPS tracker either! My next newest car is my 71 chevy 4X4 C-20 Truck and then Corvairs after that!
erco

Post by erco »

Plenty of Toyota teardowns that barely show any wear at 200K miles.

caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

I have "Cut and Pasted" the relevant part of the Topic Article here so that years from now when the link can no longer be found, this thread might still make some sense to those that might find it.

"America, Your Cars Are Getting Old
The average age of a US vehicle is now 12.6 years, as consumers coax extra life out of them
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted May 25, 2024 2:10 PM CDT

Cars, trucks, and SUVs in the US keep getting older, hitting a record average age of 12.6 years in 2024 as people hang on to their vehicles largely because new ones cost so much. S&P Global Mobility, which tracks state vehicle registration data nationwide, said Wednesday that the average vehicle age grew about two months from last year's record. But the growth in average age is starting to slow as new vehicle sales start to recover from pandemic-related shortages of parts, including computer chips, reports the AP. The average increased by three months in 2023.

Still, with an average US new-vehicle selling price of just over $45,000 last month, many can't afford to buy new—even though prices are down more than $2,000 from the peak in December 2022, according to JD Power. "It's prohibitively high for a lot of households now," says Todd Campau, aftermarket leader for S&P Global Mobility. "So I think consumers are being painted into the corner of having to keep the vehicle on the road longer." Other factors include people waiting to see if they want to buy an electric vehicle or go with a gas-electric hybrid or a gasoline vehicle. Many, he said, are worried about the charging network being built up so they can travel without worrying about running out of battery power. Also, he said, vehicles are made better these days and simply are lasting a long time.

New vehicle sales in the US are starting to return to pre-pandemic levels, with prices and interest rates the big influencing factors rather than illness and supply-chain problems, Compau said. He expects sales to hit around 16 million this year, up from 15.6 million last year and 13.9 million in 2022. As more new vehicles are sold and replace aging vehicles in the nation's 286 million passenger vehicles, the average age should stabilize, Compau said. And unlike immediately after the pandemic, more lower-cost vehicles are being sold, which likely will bring down the average price. People keeping vehicles longer is good news for the local auto repair shop. About 70% of vehicles on the road are 6 or more years old, he said, beyond manufacturer warranties."

Currently I own eight vehicles, the newest is a 2010 Ford Focus 2 door coupe. The other seven are all Chevrolet's.

When I bought the Focus, I was looking to buy my first ever "New" car but wanted only two doors, an "American" nameplate, and front wheel drive so it would get through snow better than a conventional RWD vehicle.
At that time the only two door vehicles available with "American" nameplates were rear wheel drive so I reluctantly started looking at Imports. I stumbled across the Focus with low miles at a Dealership while looking online for vehicles.

I bought it used in 2014 with 11K miles to use as my daily driver. Today it has just under 178K miles on it.
The Focus has proved reliable so far with only regular maintenance and minimal repair while averaging 33-34 MPG.

Unfortunately shortly after buying the Focus, I discovered that my 1991 2 wheel drive, Chevrolet S-10 with 214K miles on it gets through snow much better than the Focus does. Other than that I really like the car even if it is not a Chevrolet.

If there is enough snow that commuting is a concern, I have a 2000 Chevrolet AWD Astro Van with 200K mile on it.
My other alternative would be to drive one of my Corvair's...
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

You uncovered the front wheel drive myth.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Business as usual in our household. I've never bought a new car nor paid more than $9000 for any vehicle I've ever owned. Our newest vehicle is 18-years old and Cathy drives that one. The car I drive the most is over 37 years old.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

joelsplace wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:36 am You uncovered the front wheel drive myth.

Back in the mid 1980's, I had a 1980 FWD Cadillac Eldorado (Yes, with the Diesel 350 Olds motor) and it did very well in the Snow most of the time.
In the late '90's I had a couple Chrysler Lebaron convertible's and they performed well as well which is why I was specifically looking for a FWD Daily Driver.
As it turns out, the Focus is light enough that it wants to ride up on top of the Snow rather than drive through it. :banghead:
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
Wittsend

Post by Wittsend »

I'm surprised the article didn't mention the "Obama Buy Back" cars (picture below from the yard I frequented). While it is probably too late for that to have an impact now it did affect the used car market in the years after the program. As to new cars it is hard to find a "basic" car as basic cars were known in the past. Even the low end cars are packed with things that while nice aren't necessary. Then there are the things mandated by law. And while many may be for safety they do add to the cost. Seat belts use to be a $30 option. Then they were mandatory . And now if a minor accident happens the "explosive" seat belts are hundreds of dollars each to replace.

Like others I have never bought a new car for myself (the wife has):
1993-2003 Bought an '88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe for $1,500. Door was hit and got $1,400 insurance, replaced for $30. Total cost 10 years $100. The turbo engine and 5-Sp. trans live on in my Pinto.
2003-2011 Drove a FREE Mazda 323 my brother gave me. State gave me $1,000 gross polluter check to take it off the road.
2011-2024 Bought a 2000 Mazda Protege for $1,900. Net price was $900 after polluter check. Car only has 143K miles and I drove all of 460 miles last year. It will be around for some time to come.

Basically I have spent $1,000 for 31 years of having a Daily Driver. I'm not sure where they are getting the data from but I hear the average new car payment is in the $700 a month range? Crazy! As a side note all my cars were 5 speed manuals. The factor in getting rid of my wife's past three of four cars was the Auto trans was failing and the car not worth the cost to replace.
Obama Cars.JPG
'61 Lakewood in a coma for 50 years - now has a pulse
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Right! No FWD myth. Just weight of car helps, with the weight over the drive wheels. Remember, this is a Corvair site, and we know it does well in snow because of weight over the drive wheels. :chevy: :chevy: :chevy:

Just like my 81 Cadillac ElDorado with the 350 (still here, not on road, any one into 350 diesels?). That car was amazing in the snow with just the all season M&S rated tires. Lots of weight over the drive wheels. Also my Park Avenues are good in snow, but I try not to subject them to the salt.

We get snow here, and most of the up and down 95 to work people drive small front wheel drive cars just fine (well, unless they come from states that do not have snow and never learned to drive in it! Ha! Lots of military moving through here).

:dogrun: :drinkinbuddy: :dogrun:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

My newest car is 15 years old. My other car (Corvair) is 59 years old.
David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible, 140/4sp
2009 Porsche 911 Carrera, 3.6L/7sp PDK
1949chevy

Post by 1949chevy »

My newest was bought in 2006 for $8,000.00. Its a 2004 Nissan XE cab, 2wd, auto. It had about 32,000 miles on it and it was a salvage truck. You could not find these trucks anywhere. I even went to TN to look at one. I tried out the truck for about 30-45min and it was really nice, no rattles and everything worked. I then viewed the photos of the reason for salvage, yep, it was hit very lightly in the front, new fender, hood and windshield. Hood caused the windshield to break slightly. The reason it was totaled, it was a NY truck hit in NC. It really runs quickly. That 4.79 rear end lets me walk over these big red neck trucks at red lights and still get over 20mpg in town.

The truck now 18 years later has 125k on it and I just now touched the engine for repair, had a valve cover oil leak. $44 and its like new. Other than brake pads and a master cyl, that is it for money spent on it. THE NEGATIVE: I had a crooked Insurance company cancel collision on it because of the salvage title.

Next car, 1968 Corvette L-79, 4 speed close ratio, pwer win, and brake, and why its RARE...Factory air and all matching number car. Owned 51 years. Then 66 Corvair 140/PG driven a lot. then my 1949 Chevy fleetline, power everything, even trunk. 283 hipo engine, 601 I-roc heads, 700R trans, 3.42 rear end. Frenched 59 caddy tailights and frenched headlights. 8,000 miles on it. I completely re-did the car from front to back.

I still also have and use OLD STUFF...I just fixed my 1972 GE dryer for the 1st time, belt broke. Owned since 1987 and my White Westinghouse dehumidifier bought in 1987 now has to have the fan turned manually until it starts on its own. New appliances last about 2-3 years and then you buy another one.

I bought a new car in 1969 working part time, and a new 1970 mustang fastback on E-4 military pay and married. Yes, my wife worked.
Attachments
IMG_7862 copy.jpg
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

For most of our 35 year married life we have been a one income family. We used to save money and buy an approximately 5 year old car and around 50K miles. When my oldest daughter crashed the last of the 5 year plan cars, we opted for a 10 year and 100K miles Subaru Forester. We all loved it, and we're on our 6th Forester now (plus my Baja pickup), three have gone over 200K, and the three we have now are all around 150K. Wife's is a 2005, and she's just starting to think about something newer.
The real impact of the Obama buyback (Cash for Clunkers) was the used engine market about 10 years ago. The first thing the yards and dealers buying the vehicles did was to destroy the engines. We felt this particularly strong in the Isuzu world where there was less of a choice for engines.
On the electric vehicle scene, my work fleet has 5 or 6 Chevy Bolts. One is currently at te dealer for a new battery ($20K), but it's still under warranty. The car has less than 10,000 miles. I believe the warranties run out this next year. Because work is on a barrier island with a lot of flooding, I'm also still waiting for the first battery fire. I tell the drivers to not drive through standing water, but they don't listen. I've had to condemn and sell 4 vehicles with rusted out frames, one was 4 years old and less than 30,000 miles.
I could tell you about my 1990 Toro riding mower but... Dennis
Wittsend

Post by Wittsend »

Dennis your situation sounds like mine. 42 years married, wife stopped working in 1989. We too bought the 'used but not too used' cars. In 2002 we finally bought the wife a new Mazda MPV van. Very probmatic trans and at 8 years, 108K miles it died. I told her no more V-6 cars (front spark plugs 5 minutes, back spark plugs 5 hours) and no auto trans. She got a Civic 5 speed. When her mother passed recently she got some cash and opted for a Forester. I'm dreading the CVT lasting but her money, her car. Any of your Foresters have a CVT? They seem to be the future in new cars.

I pulled a 700R4 trans out of a Cash for Clunkers car. A total pain to get to the convertor bolts on a non-rotating engine. In the end I yanked the trans straight out onto a rear seat and with the bellhousing out of the way I could finally get to the top convertor bolt.

I could tell you about my 1973 Montgomery Wards riding mower (that I still use) but...
riding mower.JPG
Bought it used in 1992 for $90. The kid will be 33 this year.
'61 Lakewood in a coma for 50 years - now has a pulse
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

All the Foresters have or had the 4EAT or whatever they call it. Baja is a 5 speed manual. Our first, a 1998 had the differential go out after having it for several years. They're much like a Powerglide Corvair with a separate gearlube reservoir in the diff and ATF in the transmission. The 98 had run dry and I didn't know it (they have a dipstick for each, but I didn't know the 98 had one until it failed. Replaced it with a boneyard tranny. Yeah, CVTs kind of worry me, although Subaru offered a CVT way back in the '90s on the Justy.
My 1990 Toro zero turn was bought for 100.00 for parts. A 100.00 ignition module nd it replaced the one it was to be parts for.
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Interesting that this group drives older cars. I say that because on the AACA forum people own antiques, but also drive much newer cars. It may be because the heart of AACA is in the northeast, so salt eats up all the daily drivers. You people out west have no idea what this newfangled brine mixture can do to eat through steel. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh, and most people on here do their own work, and at AACA there are more who pay people to do work, and once new cars get out of warranty they get scared they will have to pay to fix stuff.... :chevy: I'm in the work on my cars, even the newer ones. :tu: Now I have to fix the ABS light on the 2005 Park Avenue... Ha! The wife gets a new car every 17 years so far. But, we did not trade in the magic 98 Saturn station wagon. Magic because it is over 200K and it probably did not get 5 oil changes in the first 80K miles. I was busy building a house... :think: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
1949chevy

Post by 1949chevy »

I would say from a lot of folks I know, that a good chunk of those NEW CARS you see on the road are LEASED autos and trucks. The two new houses across from me can barely hold two cars in the driveway much less have a garage or basement. Next to me is a really nice house that rents for $2,000/mo or more now, no garage.

These younger folks renting/buying these houses really don't care about preserving the cars they drive...they will be gone in 2-3 years back to the leasing company is my guess. They have grown up in a throw-away society....SAD.

Return to “Corvair Talk”