Power top on the 63

All Models and Years
Gasman63

Re: Power top on the 63

Post by Gasman63 »

Gotcha. This will have to wait for next week but thanks for this info.
I no longer have a ext. regulator but im sure that 10 wire must connect to the battery or Alt. I will have to check the Alt mod.

If not then maybe thats why its feeding from the fuse panel?

Its My monday now so back to the grind stone
1963 Corvair Monza Convertible 140 4 speed.
Colorado Springs :wave:
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

Got a few minutes to look at the Alt mod and schematics.

I need to do some more tracing as things are just not right. Will update when i get a chance to figure this out and correct what i have. Id really like to be using the breaker on this top but right now its bypassed.
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

IMG_20240525_194539355.jpg
Here is my issue. This is from the Assy Manual. It says to disconnect the 10B wire from main harness, it shows a splitting type cable used at 10B. Then a yellow goes to switch and yellow goes to breaker and back to main harness. To me this looks as if the breaker is bring used for a few different items but not the power top.

Can someone enlighten me here and explain what Im missing as I know its got to be me.
Beers

Post by Beers »

Maybe this will help, here’s a couple photos of my main harness, with the splice for the power top.

At first I thought it might be a PO doing this since it looked so ad-hoc but after looking more closely feel it was the factory installation for the power top.

IMG_1101.jpeg
IMG_1109.jpeg
IMG_1110.jpeg
1963 Monza Spyder convertible
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

Thanks again for the pics.
The only way i can see this working is the added double yellow connector would be connected to 10B that comes from the engine harness. One of the yellows continues the factory circuit by plugging into what the 10B wire was plugged into, and the second yellow must go to the breaker then to the switch.

Nothing else AFAIK would work so Im going to go with that.

The manual pic isnt very clear and they sure didnt put this in the service manual.

If anyone disagrees with this conclusion please reply. Otherwise i think that how it will be done when im finished correcting this mess.
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

My wife hit it right on the nose this evening. She said Im thinking way too hard. Its a 1963 car.

Shes so right. Just dont tell her i said that.
Beers

Post by Beers »

Gasman63 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:52 pm My wife hit it right on the nose this evening. She said Im thinking way too hard. Its a 1963 car.

Shes so right. Just dont tell her i said that.
lol. They always know best

Your plan to splice into the 10B, and put a junction where one wire continues to the harness connector and the other goes to the circuit breaker is spot on. That is what the factory did.

Probably goes without saying, but make sure you use 10 AWG wire…
1963 Monza Spyder convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”