Info wanted: 1965 frunk lid CORVAIR placement

Having trouble finding that special part you need? Post a wanted ad.
Forum rules
All Classified posts will be automatically deleted approximately 90 days after posting.
scottymac

Info wanted: 1965 frunk lid CORVAIR placement

Post by scottymac »

Would appreciate diagram with measurements for placement of the CORVAIR emblem (and attachment pins) on the frunk lid.
Thank you very much! Scott
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Info wanted: 1965 frunk lid CORVAIR placement

Post by azdave »

None of my Corvairs have frunks but I can get you the dimensions later tonight if no one else posts the info before I get to measuring. ::-):
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

FRUNK - These kids and there new fangled words. :rolling:

Then again who came up with TRUNK? Oh wait, old cars only had a rack on the back to hold your TRUNK when you traveled.

At least we don't call it a BOOT (you know who you are across the pond) :wave:

Would a front BOOT be a FOOT ---- Oh stop me. Just having some fun. :evil:
flamingchariots

Post by flamingchariots »

You have no sole...
:neener:
American Mel

Post by American Mel »

Boot precedes Trunk.
Old coaches had a boot.
The boot was a Leather covered cargo area on the rear of coaches where trunks and other luggage was stored.
Wells Fargo Stagecoaches had a second "Boot" under the front (Driver's) seat.
This is where the Strongbox and valuables were usually stored.
A guard would ride next to the Driver. (This is also where the term "Riding Shotgun" comes from)
So, front Boot is actually correct, or at least acceptable terminology.
Frunk is just plain stupid.
Concord Style Coach.jpeg
Currently own: '66Monza Coupe, '67Monza Vert, '67A/C Monza Sport Sedan
Have owned: '61Monza Coupe, '62Monza Wagon, '63Spyder, '65 Corsa
Loc: WA, One mile south of Canadian border.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

This pic shows a sheet of copy paper lined up at the LF hood corner and flush with the front edge. I can scan this as a pdf tomorrow at work and then send it as a pdf template that you could print at full scale to use. I didn't note it on the paper but the 4.5" and 8-7/16" dimension lines are at 90-degrees to the front edge. You can confirm the final hole spacing by checking the center to center which should be at 3-15/16"
Attachments
20240522_190231.jpg
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
scottymac

Post by scottymac »

Thank you very much, Dave! I thought when Tesla started using the term "frunk", Corvairs could be seen as a trendsetter. Since I wasn't of driving age during most of Corvair's production years, would people say Corvairs were responsible for repopularizing the floor shift?
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

The Corvette always had a floor shifter, but most people never drove a Corvette. But they might have driven many foreign cars with a floor shift. Just ignore those few with a four speed column shifter. :eek: So, yes, Corvair brought back the every manual transmission in this economy car, wait, VW Beetle...., has a floor shift. :rolling:

Note the location of the emblem holes has to line up with access below to install the emblem nuts. There should be lots of leeway.
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Frank DuVal wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:58 am The Corvette always had a floor shifter, but most people never drove a Corvette. But they might have driven many foreign cars with a floor shift. Just ignore those few with a four speed column shifter. :eek: So, yes, Corvair brought back the every manual transmission in this economy car, wait, VW Beetle...., has a floor shift. :rolling:

Note the location of the emblem holes has to line up with access below to install the emblem nuts. There should be lots of leeway.
After WWII some returning GI's bought English sports cars and that was the start of associating a "floor shifter" with a sporting image. Fact is up until the late 1930's most U.S.A. cars had a floor shifter and the introduction of the column shifter was considered a big improvement in style and convenience by the public. I recall the 1939 Lincoln Zephyr had a shifter that protruded from the DASH BOARD. It looks odd, but actually works well. The late 30's Cord had a "pre-selector" that was like a mini shifter off the column. You moved the little lever through a gate to select the NEXT gear. When you depressed the clutch electric gizmos shifted the transmission.

During the 1940's only cheap cars and trucks had floor mounted shifters. Then automatics started to arrive and by the mid 50's dominated the automotive market. Then in the 60's the "floor shifter" became popular in "muscle cars", even on automatic shifted cars.

Things change and change back. That said the manual floor shifted transmission is becoming a novelty. At the cars and coffee my 66 more door gets comments like "I've never seen a four speed in a four door American car". Then I show them th engine and that is always interesting.

Return to “Parts Wanted”