Tips for Corvan roofs

All Models and Years
anthonyparkin

Tips for Corvan roofs

Post by anthonyparkin »

Hello, I am planning to build an awning or roof for my car. Can anyone give me advice on what to do?

I also want to know the load-bearing capacity of the car's roof to have a reasonable plan. Thank.
Dennis66

Re: Tips for Corvan roofs

Post by Dennis66 »

A little more information on what you want to do "awning ?". Back in the day, most roof racks clamped under the drip rail and had suction cups within a couple of inches of the rail, any other load wad carried by the "bridge: of the roof rack. The . roofs, like many domestic cars of the era were a little stronger around the perimeter, and there were a few ribs that ran across in a few places, otherwise it was just sheet metal. Other than padding or sound deadening pads, the roof of a Corvan or Greenbrier is fairly open from what I remember. Dennis
vairmech

Re: Tips for Corvan roofs

Post by vairmech »

Since you mentioned Corvan in your title that is what I'm going to talk about.
The center of any van roof is not super strong, you can easily deform it if you crawl, walk or even pit something heavy on it. You can see the ribs on the inside but the real strength is close to the edge of the roof by the drip rail as has been mentioned. If you want to do some kind of awning the roof is more than strong enough for that.

But before I go any farther I do think we need a little more detail of what you want to do.
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”