Install FC Windshield

Need to know how? Want to show how?
Grubin648

Install FC Windshield

Post by Grubin648 »

Replacing the windshield on Rampside. Any tricks or suggestions to help with install or to make it easier
vairmech

Re: Install FC Windshield

Post by vairmech »

First off measure and mark the center bottom of the windshield with a grease pencil, NOT a magic marker! Now mark the center of the glass opening, both marks need to be outside the gasket area so you can see them with the gasket installed. Install the gasket on the window then line up your marks and start installing the glass. Soapy water seems to help along with the string method but I have made my own tool for those gaskets, I'll let others go into that.
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

High Desert Corsa did it on PhilSide as club tech session.

This video shows a complete procedure... start to finish.

CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

i use the string and liquid hand or dish soap method. If you have trim that goes in the gasket after you get gasket on glass. I leave the two ends of the string overlapped and out of center top or bottom. Marking center is good. Not good is getting the glass halfway in and an inch off center :td:

I have had to use tape to hold the trim in place. Once to hold the new gasket in place. To mark the body center line put masking tape on body and mark that.

You may need to add sealer after it is installed. Various products to do this. Test by using hose to make rain. Do not spray windshield/car directly. Make rain like Mother Nature.
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

Thank you to Dave Motohead for the flattering photo of me for the header of this You-Tube!!!!
:doh: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Corventure Dave
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

I can no longer find my favorite windshield tool on the internet, to show a picture. It is a red handle with a bent round rod out of one end that ends in a ball. You use this to get up inside the rubber groove and flip the edge of the rubber where you want it when the string does not work properly (yes, that can happen). And, be mindful of the string as you pull it to flip the gasket over the pinchweld. It can start to tear into the rubber gasket. That will ruin your day :eek: At least this is inside the car, so a little black goo will cover a tiny tear just fine. :wink:

The other end of the tool is flat, but bent, so it is used to pry gently on the gasket to seat it if necessary. Warning, never pry on the GLASS! Snap Crackle Pop..... :eek: :eek:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

SkidRo

Post by SkidRo »

I literally followed the video that Phil posted and used the exact same process of getting the center of the windshield and opening. There were 5 of us working on the install and it seemed like we needed all of those hands. :)

One thing that I did "wrong" was that I hung the new gasket while it was warming up to make it a bit more flexible. That caused the gasket to over stretch making it about a foot too long. I had to lay it flat on the floor and let it contract back to its normal length.

One tool that came in handy were the suction cup handles (like to lift floor tiles) to help hold and move the windshield into position. A club member brought them and I think he said they were from your typical big box hardware center.
Rory
Conway, SC
1966 Corsa
1963 Rampside - still trying to get it on the road
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

There is no question it is a pain in the foot job!!!
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

Corventure Dave wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:12 pm Thank you to Dave Motohead for the flattering photo of me for the header of this You-Tube!!!!
:doh: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Corventure Dave
--------------------------------------------------------
When Uploading a YouTube video they give you 3 screen shots to choose from as the screen shot, This was the only one that had anything in it, the other 2 options they gave me were one of the cement and a blurry one! :doh: Here is a better one of us Dave! :beavisbutthead:
Attachments
corvair stuff 290.jpg
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

We did have a darn good time that club tech session day!!

A bunch of members and quite a few Corvairs showed up.
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

I find it easier than a butyl tape windshield.... And the early wrap around style puckers my..... No Don't Break It! :rolling:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

All hail the power of Flannel and a cold Coors! :not worthy:

Corventure Dave

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”