1963 Corvair Monza Convertible Build

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
OldnSlow

1963 Corvair Monza Convertible Build

Post by OldnSlow »

I recently posted on the introduction page even though I joined last fall. Great people on here with great advice. It was mentioned that I should post my progress, so here goes.
My wife is very encouraging regarding "hobbies", she is a medical professional and recognizes the benefits of healthy (if not expensive) hobbies. I collect and shoot firearms a lot, so she encouraged me to start reloading, very good call, I love it and I get to shoot more.
Recently, she said "you haven't done an old car for decades, you should do another with the kid (our autistic, high functioning Grandson that we have guardianship of and is into guitars and cars).
Last fall, 2023, she saw a car on Facebook marketplace and said "this one's cute" and "it's a convertible, looks fun". I did some digging, because the first car I went through and learned on was a 69 Bug, so, rear engine, air cooled, made some sense to me.
After learning of the aftermarket community and the people that are so passionate about them, I had to have it. So now, here we are, going through this thing in my own way.
I am not someone that is looking for a correct or concourse resto, there is a time and place for it and I love it and appreciate it, but for me, I want to drive it a lot, make it reliable, drivable, affordable and not have a freakout if I can't find the correct screw for that part, because I can be a bit finicky if I don't keep a reign on it, haha.
So now, after my diatribe (my wife says I can be a bit verbose, who knew), I am going to post what I am doing with it. I love the comments, advice, encouragement, and constructive feedback, so keep it coming.
Attachments
Converted to a dual circuit master cylinder, all new steel lines and rubber lines, "thanks Clarks"
Converted to a dual circuit master cylinder, all new steel lines and rubber lines, "thanks Clarks"
Before on them thar drums, ick
Before on them thar drums, ick
After on them thar drums, yay!
After on them thar drums, yay!
New tank kit from Clarks
New tank kit from Clarks
Electric fuel pump and new tank installed
Electric fuel pump and new tank installed
jimbrandberg

Re: 1963 Corvair Monza Convertible Build

Post by jimbrandberg »

Nice work. The car looks pretty solid underneath. I made some suggestions on the other thread but you're already doing them.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
OldnSlow

Post by OldnSlow »

Thanks Jim, great suggestions, helps me to confirm I am on the right track. Currently I have the plugs out and I have shot some Marvel Mystery Oil into the jugs to hopefully loosen up the rings. I was told that it "ran when parked" famous last words, I know ....
It supposedly sat for 30+ years after being parked, seemed like a pretty honest family that sold it to me, so I have no reason to believe otherwise.
The engine turns when I put a wrench to the pulley, after I finish up the fuel system, just waiting for a fitting that I jacked up when I pulled it from the pump and some new lines. After that, I am going to crank it and see what kind of compression I have while cold and old.
I bought some parts to lose the points and go electronic, but I want to wait until after I hopefully get it started so that I don't have to troubleshoot new parts as well as old if it doesn't go the way I hope it does.
After that I will take your advice and see exactly what distributor I have to make sure that my advance curve is correct for the application.

Cheers,
Tony
OldnSlow

Post by OldnSlow »

This is a 30 sec time lapse video of me hitting the engine compartment with a $20 Hobo Freight gravity feed sprayer filled with Wax and Grease remover from my local auto paint store. Cleans good if you use a detail brush to agitate stuff.
After this, when I can get it out of the shop and into the drive, I will use some degreaser and pressure to clean it even better!

Welp, either I am falling behind Forrest Gump on the intelligence scale, or I can't post a video here, so suffice it to say, this method works well for me.
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

You seem like the careful sort so I'll throw this out there.
I have a dummy distributor with the gear ground down that I turn clockwise with an electric drill whine turning the engine with a wrench 2 times around to get back where I started from. I don't always do it but it's a nice gentle way to get some oil to the nether regions.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”